View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    I'm excited to see the new Tarantino film. They go over the top sometimes, but I always enjoy his.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The Lion King had a $78.5 million Friday. Sigh, now we wait Hobbs and Shaw.
    Full weekend number appears to be $185 million. So, yeah, it is gonna be in our Top 5 of summer. Lion King played in 4725 theaters across the country, a record number of screens.

Current standings:

Avengers: Endgame - $854.2 mil (even taking out the $250 mil or so it made over the final few days of April, easily our #1 film)
    Toy Story 4 - $375.5 mil
    Aladdin - $340.0 mil
    Spider-man: FFH - $319.6 mil
    Lion King - $185 mil
    John Wick 3 - $168.8 mil
    SLOP 2 - $151.5 mil
    Pokemon - $143.5 mil

-Jason "pending Hobbs and Shaw, it appears fairly likely that we are going to have 5 films make $350+ mil and none make between $200 and $300 mil... kinda crazy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I think Endgame will make at least $850 million which translates to over $400 million for our contest. That's solidly in the top 5.
    I think this was the most accurate estimate.

The April adjustment for Endgame appears to be $426 million. Lion King may pass that.

Is #HobbsAndShaw absurd? Yes. Does it defy every law of physics? Yes. Do we care so long as we are having fun? No at all! Listen in as Josh Sewell and I have a great time talking about the newest #FastAndFurious film... which may be the best yet.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...out-the-movies

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Is #HobbsAndShaw absurd? Yes. Does it defy every law of physics? Yes. Do we care so long as we are having fun? No at all! Listen in as Josh Sewell and I have a great time talking about the newest #FastAndFurious film... which may be the best yet.

5'10", 6'2", 6'5"

Some of you will think less of me. But maybe not since I've probably already admitted that I just don't get that excited about superhero movies or Disney live remakes of movies I saw 25 years ago. I prefer B+ Tarantino and horror movies!
    I'm not going to lie. What I'm getting at here is I loved Superbad and... I'm looking forward to Good Boys! I hope it's great
    Mrs richardjackson199 is probably going to be as excited as she was when I told her I wanted to take her to see Crawl.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 08-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Yes, but will it do $350 million?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, but will it do $350 million?
    No. It appears to be on the way to about a $60 mil opening weekend. I might get to $200 million, but there no reasonable math that gets it to even $300, let alone the $350 it will take to make this summer's Disney Top 5.

-Jason "6th place in our contest for this film... not bad" Evans

It appears to me that Hobbs and Shaw will have a tough time surpassing John Wick ($170M+) for sixth place by Labor Day. In fact, it might not even pass SLOP2.

I kind of want to see the Lion King, mainly because of the great CGI. But I have been leery of Disney movies ever since the horrid mess they made of telling the story of the great Secretariat. That was a mess...

Not sure if this has ever been posted but there is a GREAT site to get cheap digital codes for movies. It’s especially good for kids movies. I think I’ve snatched up probably 30+ kid movies for my daughters in the last 3 years and they are almost always under $5 as long as you wait long enough. UglyDolls was my current buy for like $6. Much easier to pay that than $20 plus tax for the Blu Ray.

https://ultravioletcinema.com/getuv.php?q=ITUNES#uvc

As it appears Hobbs & Shaw won't make it to 200 million, it looks as if there are going to be ZERO movies in the 200-350 million dollar range. Truly an all or nothing and weird summer. And lol on Disney complaining about the movies with big losses like Dark Phoenix. I think the mouse house will be just fine with the 8 billion dollar summer with SW9 and Frozen 2 still to come. 10-11 billion with just 6 movies is mind numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    As it appears Hobbs & Shaw won't make it to 200 million, it looks as if there are going to be ZERO movies in the 200-350 million dollar range. Truly an all or nothing and weird summer. And lol on Disney complaining about the movies with big losses like Dark Phoenix. I think the mouse house will be just fine with the 8 billion dollar summer with SW9 and Frozen 2 still to come. 10-11 billion with just 6 movies is mind numbing.
    Well, they have had some misses this year. Dumbo cost $170 million to make and only made $114 mil at the domestic boxoffice. It made $352 mil in worldwide boxoffice, but it clearly lost a lot of money.

But, yeah, they are having a good year so far and with Maleficent 2, Frozen 2, and Star Wars 9 it is only going to get better.

-Jason "by the way our summer contest is over... if you went Disney 5-for-5 (not me), time for your victory dance" Evans

if you went Disney 5-for-5 (not me), time for your victory dance
    What a shame. Disney is gobbling the entertainment world. :/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We met with our financial advisor last week, and he also manages my GF's brother's account. He loves all things Disney, so of course he has Disney stock. Our guy was saying they were about to drop that week because they were going to miss their predicted numbers. Pretty surprising with the literal billions coming in that they still came up short, but it's due to those films JE mentioned above. (Still a strong stock, though.)

PS, first year I've gotten all 5 correct in the summer contest. Bout time!
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-12-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    What a shame. Disney is gobbling the entertainment world. :/
    What is really scary about Disney is that in 2017 they were the #2 media conglomerate (a fairly distant 2nd to Comcast), and that was before they ​consumed aquired parts of Fox. #3 was AT&T (a distant ~$20 billion behind Disney).

Note that Disney is the only one of that group who isn't also a telecommunications service provider (meaning they own a lot of media content).

It looks like John Wick 3, a film that got no votes in our contest, will finish in sixth place.