Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RJ Barrett leaving Duke, declares for NBA Draft

RJ declaring per his instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwayne17 View Post
    RJ declaring per his instagram
    Video posted here.
    https://twitter.com/RjBarrett6/statu...04783113101312

-Jason "RJ got a haircut since the season ended" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Video posted here.

I'm kinda surprised RJ didn't have a news conference versus a Twitter/Instagram video. I also wonder why he and Cam and Zion did not do it together. I feel like Duke has done it that way for multiple early entries in the past, but maybe I am misremembering.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm kinda surprised RJ didn't have a news conference versus a Twitter/Instagram video. I also wonder why he and Cam and Zion did not do it together. I feel like Duke has done it that way for multiple early entries in the past, but maybe I am misremembering.
    Winslow, Tyus, and Jah did. Last year, I think they did it individually.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Winslow, Tyus, and Jah did. Last year, I think they did it individually.
    Yeah, IIRC last year the announcements were sort of "staggered" so as to give each player their moment in the spotlight to declare. Now that RJ officially got the ball rolling I would expect we'll be hearing more over the next few days.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Another interpretation

Maybe Cam and Zion are coming back?

A guy can dream!

Video posted here.

Best of luck RJ!

Hope he goes number 2 in the draft.

Any NBA team would be lucky to build around him as a franchise player.

RJ Barrett Declares for NBA Draft

Not surprising. Best of luck, RJ!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ares-nba-draft

Good luck and thank you for an amazing season!

Good luck RJ!

Any NBA franchise would be lucky to have you as the cornerstone.

Don't we normally have a separate thread for Duke players declaring (with the names of the declarees in the title)? Kind of burying the lede to hide it under the inauspiciously titled "NBA Draft Early Entry 2019" thread. Granted I think RJ and the two upcoming announcements are foregone conclusions, but it still warrants a separate discussion IMO or at least inclusion in the generic thread title if we're keeping it here.

Edit: Just for historical reference, we have always had individual threads for each declared player in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Don't we normally have a separate thread for Duke players declaring (with the names of the declarees in the title)? Kind of burying the lede to hide it under the inauspiciously titled "NBA Draft Early Entry 2019" thread. Granted I think RJ and the two upcoming announcements are foregone conclusions, but it still warrants a separate discussion IMO or at least inclusion in the generic thread title if we're keeping it here.

Edit: Just for historical reference, we have always had individual threads for each declared player in the past.
    Just chiming in to say that I agree we should have a separate thread for each Duke player who declares. Just as I would expect a player who commits to Duke to get their own thread and not have the discussion forced into that year's general recruiting thread, or a player who transfers from Duke to get their own thread. A separate thread allows us to share thoughts about that player, including discussing their performance at Duke and making predictions about their future.

Oh, and congrats to RJ. I really enjoyed watching him this year and he represented the school well.

Agreed. Just on a practical level, the mods would have less work to perform by not having to continually fold newly created "RJ Barrett declares" threads into a master thread.

If we want to create a new custom of not having individual threads for players declaring, I'm not sure this is the right team to start with. While it is disappointing that this team fell just short of the Final Four, they will hang an ACC Championship banner and they seemingly loved playing for Duke and with each other. (Certainly they verbalized nothing less, including in RJ's announcement video). It was a team that created a lot of great memories on the way to becoming the overall #1 seed.

If previous OADs deserved their own threads, then a 1st-team All-American like RJ probably deserves one, too. A little respect...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Good luck RJ!

Best of luck RJ!

Hope he goes number 2 in the draft.

Any NBA team would be lucky to build around him as a franchise player.
    ...but not too much respect. There's really only one cornerstone/franchise player in this draft, imo. There's Zion, and then there are a bunch of guys that an NBA GM would be better off picking at #10. It won't be easy for an NBA GM that has to select #2, #3, etc. Maaaybe Ja Morant deserves to be selected #2, but it's also well-known in NBA drafting circles that PGs typically take a long time to develop. [A couple articles about that: one from the Stepien and one from Kevin Pelton of ESPN+ ($$$)]

Regardless, good luck in the NBA, RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed. Just on a practical level, the mods would have less work to perform by not having to continually fold newly created "RJ Barrett declares" threads into a master thread.

If we want to create a new custom of not having individual threads for players declaring, I'm not sure this is the right team to start with. While it is disappointing that this team fell just short of the Final Four, they will hang an ACC Championship banner and they seemingly loved playing for Duke and with each other. (Certainly they verbalized nothing less, including in RJ's announcement video). It was a team that created a lot of great memories on the way to becoming the overall #1 seed.

If previous OADs deserved their own threads, then a 1st-team All-American like RJ probably deserves one, too. A little respect...

...but not too much respect. There's really only one cornerstone/franchise player in this draft, imo. There's Zion, and then there are a bunch of guys that an NBA GM would be better off picking at #10. It won't be easy for an NBA GM that has to select #2, #3, etc. Maaaybe Ja Morant deserves to be selected #2, but it's also well-known in NBA drafting circles that PGs typically take a long time to develop. [A couple articles about that: one from the Stepien and one from Kevin Pelton of ESPN+ ($$$)]

Regardless, good luck in the NBA, RJ.
    Agreed, on all counts.

As a Bulls fan, I want them to get the #1 pick... and if not I want them to pick 5th or 6th or 7th. I think there are a bunch of talented guys, but none that I'd be psyched about taking at #2. So I'd be happy to let the GMs pick at 2, 3, or 4, and take what is left (which will be still pretty good, but better aligned with the pick value).

That said, Barrett gave us some thrilling moments this year, represented the program admirably, and I'm happy we had him at Duke. He (and Zion and Cam) deserve their own threads individually. And I wish him the best in the NBA!

I really appreciated RJ's announcement video--very classy, very grateful to the Crazies and the Duke community generally, and came off as completely sincere, not just saying what is expected. Best of luck to you, RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I really appreciated RJ's announcement video--very classy, very grateful to the Crazies and the Duke community generally, and came off as completely sincere, not just saying what is expected. Best of luck to you, RJ.

Oh RJ! It's been a delight! Love you my fellow Lefty. Make us even prouder!

And please think about taking a few classes at Duke in the off season...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Don't we normally have a separate thread for Duke players declaring (with the names of the declarees in the title)?
    Done!

Thanks RJ! Forever DukeGang!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Uh, hmm...any franchise would be lucky to have RJ...but I only see Zion as "that guy" - the cornerstone...the face of the franchise, what have you.

Good luck to RJ. I don't recall any Duke player ever making the array of shots around the hoop that he did. Looking forward to seeing him in the Association.

9F (and thinking this string is about RJ, not Zion)
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.