Explosion in Durham today?

Apparently there was a gas leak/explosion in Durham: https://abc11.com/live-video-explosi...apsed/5241686/

I hope everyone is safe...

-ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by ramdevil View Post
    Apparently there was a gas leak/explosion in Durham: https://abc11.com/live-video-explosi...apsed/5241686/

I hope everyone is safe...

-ramdevil
    You just beat me to it. A buddy of mine just sent me some pictures. It's hard to imagine that no one was hurt.

Looks like it was in the building adjacent (to the North) to Torero's.

A friend of mine about a half mile away (the other side of Ninth St) said several people in her building felt the explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    You just beat me to it. A buddy of mine just sent me some pictures. It's hard to imagine that no one was hurt.
    I believe 1 fatality and multiple injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    At least two dead so far. Construction crew was digging and hit a gas main.

Wow... here is video from the famous 11-foot-8 camera that watches for trucks to run into that bridge. You can't see the explosion, but you sure hear it and feel it!

https://www.wral.com/can-opener-brid...sion/18317909/
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Word from folks who work in the area is that a lot of the surrounding buildings have windows blown out. Apparently, a contractor hit a gas line, called it in, a person at the coffee house Kaffeinate had just put a sign on the door saying they were closed b/c of the gas, people came streaming out of Torero's, and Kaffeinate blew up. Bad and scary situation. A firefighter is seriously hurt, too.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Word from folks who work in the area is that a lot of the surrounding buildings have windows blown out. Apparently, a contractor hit a gas line, called it in, a person at the coffee house Kaffeinate had just put a sign on the door saying they were closed b/c of the gas, people came streaming out of Torero's, and Kaffeinate blew up. Bad and scary situation. A firefighter is seriously hurt, too.
    Local media is reporting only one dead now (was two before). Still seems miraculous. I guess there was some warning, which must have helped keep down the fatalities.

Howard

The explosion was the lead story on the CBS Evening News.

Email

My alumni.duke.edu account is not working. Anyone else have the same problem.

Thanks
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    My alumni.duke.edu account is not working. Anyone else have the same problem.

Thanks
    SoCal
    Mine's working fine, if you still have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Mine's working fine, if you still have issues.
    Yep, mine works fine as well. I wouldn't think there was any connection to the explosion, as I haven't heard anything about a widespread internet outage.

They have upped the number of injured to 25 including 9 firefighters hit with shrapnel. Local restaurant owners have pooled resources to grill out and feed the responders.

Apparently the explosion weaponized a lot of windows. Many of the injuries were from shattered glass.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They have upped the number of injured to 25 including 9 firefighters hit with shrapnel. Local restaurant owners have pooled resources to grill out and feed the responders.
    I hope that the lack of news is good news. Apparently the building that St James Seafood is in has been condemned. Does that mean it has to be torn down?
    Last edited by -jk; 04-12-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: rumor

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I hope that the lack of news is good news. Apparently the building that St James Seafood is in has been condemned. Does that mean it has to be torn down?
    No, typically it means that it is not currently habitable and needs repairs.

Awful. I am down there regularly and was just in Kaffeinate last Friday. Terrible, terrible, awful.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Looks like the owner of Kaffeinate was the only fatality. He apparently ushered everyone out, called his kids to notify them he was closing up the store because of a gas leak... and didn’t make it out. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Looks like the owner of Kaffeinate was the only fatality. He apparently ushered everyone out, called his kids to notify them he was closing up the store because of a gas leak... and didn’t make it out. Very sad.
    Not to turn this negative, but actually the owner refused to leave. A firefighter had just walked away to get a police officer to force him out of the building when it blew up. Yes, very sad. The adjoining businesses had only evacuated a few minutes before the explosion.