View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Duke player?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shane Battier

143 77.30%
  • JJ Redick

42 22.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite Player Poll Final 8- Battier vs. JJ

The third of our four quarter-finals pits the #2 seed, Shane Battier, against the #7 seed JJ Redick.

Like yesterday, I urge you to please DO NOT VOTE YET!!! Take some time to think about it, read the posts in this thread from people trying to persuade you one way or another and then vote.

--Jason "we have arguably the greatest defensive weapon in Duke history against perhaps the greatest offensive weapon in Duke history... wow!!" Evans

Hi,

This one is real easy for me.... Shane.

-Jeffrey

Incredibly Hard Decision

I loved every minute that Battier played and the team's success, but (for me) there was not a single more exciting player than JJ during my 18 years of following Duke.

I was at the Texas game in the Meadowlands when JJ lit up the number 2 team in the nation in every conceivable way. If we're asking favorites I have to go with JJ.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    As the first voter I suppose I should state something. I did not dwell on this vote at all. I enjoyed watching JJ's offensive prowess and admired how hard he worked to improve his game after his sophmore year. Shane, however, is a standard bearer for Duke University on and off the court.

Easy decision for me, JJ. Note, that's nothing negative about Shane at all. I just loved JJ's game, his drive, that nasty streak he had, the excitement he brought. If only Luol had stayed another year or two Sheldon/JJ/Luol might have the a reputation similar to that of Christian/Grant/Bobby.

Good thing about these polls at this point is that there's not really a wrong choice you can make.

My vote is for JJ. Not only was he the most exciting college basketball player I've ever seen, but I loved the fact that he embraced the growing trend of Duke-hating.

JJ embraced the villain role, and that was totally awesome.

For the perfect example, consider what one brilliant Chronicle writer (myself) wrote after JJ dismantled FSU his junior season:

"With seconds remaining in the first half and his team up 41-26, J.J. Redick raced across the baseline looking for a screen. He got the pick he was seeking and received the ball at the left wing. Redick’s pump fake sent his defender flying, and the junior nailed a wide-open three as the buzzer sounded.

Redick gave a pleasant wave and flashed a giant grin in the general direction of the student section.

“That was between me and them,” Redick said of the exchange.

He later clarified his relationship with the raucous Florida State crowd that had been hounding him from the opening tip.

“I love that,” Redick said. “At times I want to go up and… confront some people with some of the stuff they say, but hey, that’s college basketball.”

The buzzer-beater took away what enthusiasm was left in the building, and the disheartened Seminoles would never come close to chiseling away the Duke lead. Twenty minutes in, the game was already over."

JJ let his game do all the talking, and that took major cajones.

Quote Originally Posted by grc5 View Post
    JJ embraced the villain role, and that was totally awesome.
    But you voted for Dawkins over Hurley. If only you knew.

This is the hardest vote for me yet. There was nothing that made me more giddy and giggly than when JJ was "on." But Battier... I mean, DAMN, the guy was arguably the most complete player EVER at Duke. Watching him play D was a thing of beauty. And that backhanded tap in the national title game... WOW!

I am really torn. I need to think a lot more.

--Jason "I think JJ's lack of success when it mattered most -- in the NCAA tourney -- may sway me... at least that is how I am leaning at the moment" Evans

Sorry, JJ. He's your Daddy- Battier.

I mean, DAMN, the guy was arguably the most complete player EVER at Duke.
    I wouldn't say that too loud (if loudness is at all possible on a computer screen). I wrote a whole thing on Shane being the most complete player ever at Duke and almost got myself killed

I'm taking your advice, though, Jason, and I'm waiting 'til later this afternoon. It's probably going to be JJ (because, like you, I was like a school girl when he was in the midst of hitting consecutive threes), but I have to take a healthy glance back at my days of watching Shane as well, maybe throw in a couple of old game tapes to help me decide. It's been seven years after all (Wow, where does the time go?). I might try putting in the 2000 Preseason NIT game versus Princeton or 2001 game at Carolina where Shane basically destroyed the entire Tar Heel offense by himself Damn that Forte block was amazing.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ouch. I may opt out of this one. I keep coming back to favorite. I think there are only two players who give me pause against Shane, Johnny and JJ. Argh. I hate picking one but if I'm going to be consistent in my voting, my favorite is JJ by a hair.

here's a memory to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CzbOoYapI

I voted for Shane, but here's more of JJ being absolutely sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHf2o-SW7Q

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

My definition of "favorite" seems to shift with the wind.

Battier was a straight A high school student at a hard school. He spoke with gravitas and clarity when he was 18. He has exceptional athletic skills (apparently surprising people at the NBA combines, an environment in which I imagine it's hard to impress), but they are overshadowed by his in-game intelligence and anticipation. His charges enraged our opponents and their fans (hah!). He'll probably wind up president. He'll probably win this whole competition.

But I vote JJ, who endured all sorts of cr*p from opposing fans, who made himself into player of the year, and whose shot I can draw up from memory as easily as I can the Laettner shot.

Arrgggh!!! I was all set to vote for Shane and then I went to Youtube and started watching highlight videos of JJ and now I am torn again. Grrrrrrrr!!

--Jason "someone better post some Shane videos ASAP or my vote may be sold!" Evans

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I wouldn't say that too loud (if loudness is at all possible on a computer screen). I wrote a whole thing on Shane being the most complete player ever at Duke and almost got myself killed
    I got 4 years of JJ in cameron as he was my classmate, and eventually we became decent friends. I can't vote against him.

I'll always remeber this Mike Patrick call: "Redick, from another time zone! Got it!"

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I voted for Shane, but here's more of JJ being absolutely sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHf2o-SW7Q
    I miss JJ.

I just can't vote in the polls any more as I feel like I'm cheating on whomever I don't vote for. I love them all.

This was a really tough one for me. They're both superior players and hard workers, but Shane won my vote because of the effect he had on the entire team as a leader. There were points in his senior season where I knew we would win the game no matter what because I saw in his eyes and his interactions that he simply wouldn't let it be otherwise. I feel like he not only made the most out of his talent (which wasn't on the level of JJ), but he elevated the performance of everyone else when he was on the court.

Hard to vote against a guy that brought so much excitement to Duke basketball...it's JJ for me. Nothing against Shane, great guy, great player, but for me I have to go with the guy that got me out of my chair the most.