Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    He loves Duke, and like many of us after the loss last weekend, he is heartbroken. This is his way of trying to express that. Let him know you understand his feelings. Tell him, it's ok to pull for another team as long as they are not playing Duke. Remind him how we all already pull for whoever is playing uNC*. Try pulling for our ACC brethren from Virginia tonight, but drop in many reminders of how great it felt to beat them twice this year. And, if none of that works... tell him Coach K doesn't like quitters and neither do you! If he wants to give up on Duke, he can transfer to another family!#

* It's the symbol you use in record books to indicate some bad shhhhh it happening, like when a so-called university cheats for nearly two decades.

# Just kidding on that last part about transferring to a new family. Way too much paperwork involved. And I'm sure he doesn't want to quit on Duke, just wants to play the field a little, have some fun before settling down, but, trust me, he'll never forget his first love. Go Duke!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    He loves Duke, and like many of us after the loss last weekend, he is heartbroken. This is his way of trying to express that. Let him know you understand his feelings. Tell him, it's ok to pull for another team as long as they are not playing Duke. Remind him how we all already pull for whoever is playing uNC*. Try pulling for our ACC brethren from Virginia tonight, but drop in many reminders of how great it felt to beat them twice this year. And, if none of that works... tell him Coach K doesn't like quitters and neither do you! If he wants to give up on Duke, he can transfer to another family!#

* It's the symbol you use in record books to indicate some bad shhhhh it happening, like when a so-called university cheats for nearly two decades.

# Just kidding on that last part about transferring to a new family. Way too much paperwork involved. And I'm sure he doesn't want to quit on Duke, just wants to play the field a little, have some fun before settling down, but, trust me, he'll never forget his first love. Go Duke!!!!!
    #And plus, if he transfers to another family, he'll have to sit out a year, and he'll get way behind in life. I'd let him know he doesn't have to pull for Duke, that's fine. But he'll have to figure out where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are coming from!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    #And plus, if he transfers to another family, he'll have to sit out a year, and he'll get way behind in life. I'd let him know he doesn't have to pull for Duke, that's fine. But he'll have to figure out where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are coming from!!
    IDK, if his father disowns him he can apply for a hardship waiver...

Peak Off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    It's just a phase. lol.
    Does he have a decent allowance? Start checking on what may be important to him.

I feel your pain. My 10yo daughter snuggled up to me while I was watching the NCSU game. It was near the end of the game, so I was overjoyed b/c up until that point she hadn't cared about watching any sports, so this made my heart swell that I could share the joy of being a Duke fan.

A couple of minutes later I realized she was quietly crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she looked at me with her big, beautiful tear-stained eyes and said... "Dad... I wanted Duke to lose."
    ??? WTH ??? "Sweetie, why on earth would you want that? You know we're all Duke fans."
    "Well... I'm not. I like State."

Now, I'm a State grad (ME), but even on campus, I was True Blue. So, I know I shouldn't have felt this way, but I felt a perverse thrill when I told her they had lost in the NIT. Does that make me a bad dad?

To be fair- it is tough to be a Duke fan- particularly in NC. The media and fans put huge expectations on the team and season and the ridicule for not meeting them can be harsh. The ridicule is magnified here if UNC does well or better than Duke. If you are a young kid- it is very hard to understand this. I can always take comfort in the 5 national championship I have witnessed- when the team falters in the end. Also kids are very influenced by their friends. Duke is hated in many places. In KY, Duke is hated more than Louisville for reasons that make almost no sense. In many ways it is easier to root for the team with low expectations year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    To be fair- it is tough to be a Duke fan- particularly in NC. The media and fans put huge expectations on the team and season and the ridicule for not meeting them can be harsh. The ridicule is magnified here if UNC does well or better than Duke. If you are a young kid- it is very hard to understand this. I can always take comfort in the 5 national championship I have witnessed- when the team falters in the end. Also kids are very influenced by their friends. Duke is hated in many places. In KY, Duke is hated more than Louisville for reasons that make almost no sense. In many ways it is easier to root for the team with low expectations year after year.
    Ich bin ein Wolfpacker.

(with apologies to PackMan97 )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    There is still time...don't give up. Imagine my joy when 16yo daughter said it would be "morally wrong to go to UNC"
    Yeah? Well, imagine my feeling when my daughter decided to attend UNC (she is a freshman) and suddenly turned her back on all things Duke, including Duke Basketball. I have taken her to countless games at Cameron Indoor Stadium over the years; a considerable number of games at Wallace Wade; we often used to run the WW stadium steps; we have traversed the Duke Golf Course trail hundreds of times; she used to visit her mom while she was working at Duke Med and Duke Hospital; we’ve taken many visiting relatives and friends on tours around both East and West campus; we’ve spent quite a lot of time at the Duke Gardens; we’ve attended church several times at the Duke Chapel; she is longtime family friends/acquaintances with quite a few administrators within the Iron Dukes and Duke Athletics, as well as one of Coach K’s daughters and her children, and coaches of golf, volleyball and lacrosse.

At first I was flabbergasted and upset at her rejection of Duke. She explained it by saying something to the effect of “Duke didn’t want me, but UNC did.” I tried to argue in Duke’s defense, but it didn’t get very far. I’ve grudgingly come to accept this unexpected turn of events. But it still makes me mad deep down.

Of course he can root for another team...anyone playing against "u"NC.

Generally the less you draw attention to something like this, the less a child will enjoy the rise he’s getting out of you and want to continue with it. But it also occurred to me - maybe he just wants to continue watching basketball this season and since Duke is no longer playing he just needs to pick another team? I’d ask him which team he wants to cheer for and go from there.

After reading this thread, I am amazed at how my father, diehard Republican and Yankee fan, accepted that his young (8-10) middle son was a fan of the Democratic Party (Mid ‘50’s) AND the Brooklyn Dodgers! No fear, the young child should still grow up just fine😉👍.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Generally the less you draw attention to something like this, the less a child will enjoy the rise he’s getting out of you and want to continue with it. But it also occurred to me - maybe he just wants to continue watching basketball this season and since Duke is no longer playing he just needs to pick another team? I’d ask him which team he wants to cheer for and go from there.
    Yea I don’t make a fuss. I tell him he can like any team he wants, even u*NC. (Usually through gritted teeth.)

He’s 5, so there’s still time...

Quote Originally Posted by EKU1969 View Post
    After reading this thread, I am amazed at how my father, diehard Republican and Yankee fan, accepted that his young (8-10) middle son was a fan of the Democratic Party (Mid ‘50’s) AND the Brooklyn Dodgers! No fear, the young child should still grow up just fine😉👍.
    Were Yankee fans and Dodger fans in the 50’s generally separated along political party lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Were Yankee fans and Dodger fans in the 50’s generally separated along political party lines?
    I think so. Was just showing that kids sometimes just root against their parents’ choices.

yea, cheer for duke and hope he comes along...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Make him "show his work" so to speak. So you love Duke and all, but want to cheer for another team. WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by EKU1969 View Post
    My dad a Dodgers fan since the 50s managed to make my son a Dodgers fan.
    Dont say a word about koufax. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Good bye Kid! Hope you enjoy being a hobo and riding the rails.
    Grandpa, is that you?

It’s funny - I don’t ever push him one way or the other. I just cheer for them and invite him along.

Kids are weird. 😂
    Just wait till your 270 pound highschool freshman son walks in the door sweaty from football and hugs you and you cant get away.just to get you sweaty.

Maybe the kid just wants a rooting interest for tonight? I'll be rooting for UVA. I think. I guess.

Where's that coin?