Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Marques not returning making sense. If we play Carey and Hurt at the 5 and 4, where are Bolden's minutes?
    ...somewhere in Europe?

I have no idea actually about Marques's plans and hope he makes a good decision for what seems best for his future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...31771160141831

That's from Jonathan Givony. He also pretty much said Duke is getting Matthew Hurt. This looks official. Would be shocked if things went another way. Shocked and heartbroken.
    Givony favors Hampton over a returning Tre. Maybe, but not me. I'd really like to have two returning starters, versus zero, zip, nada, zilch returning starters this year. And Tre can be a big time player.

I'd also like to see both Marques and Javin return.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Marques not returning making sense. If we play Carey and Hurt at the 5 and 4, where are Bolden's minutes?
    Personally, I think Bolden is better than Javin and that Hurt will start at the 3. Bolden is on track to graduate this summer, I think, so whatever he decides to do, he has certainly earned.

Givony also didn't mention Baker or AOC, so it's not like he mentioned the entire team.

We'll see though. Having Tre back would certainly be very helpful.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Obviously great for next year's team, but bigger picture I think it's also great to cut off this recent trend of guys leaving after one year and falling completely out of the first round, if not the entire draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Obviously great for next year's team, but bigger picture I think it's also great to cut off this recent trend of guys leaving after one year and falling completely out of the first round, if not the entire draft.
    Well, they can return to school this year if undrafted.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Personally, I think Bolden is better than Javin and that Hurt will start at the 3. Bolden is on track to graduate this summer, I think, so whatever he decides to do, he has certainly earned.

Givony also didn't mention Baker or AOC, so it's not like he mentioned the entire team.

Didn’t realize that Bolden was on track to graduate. That puts a grad transfer on the table. I want Bolden back, but would also understand if he took that option, especially if Hurt is coming in and he plays a stretch 4 as has been projected. I’d understand that decision but hope that isn’t the case. I want to finally realize the dream we’ve all had of a deep frontcourt next year.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Didn’t realize that Bolden was on track to graduate. That puts a grad transfer on the table. I want Bolden back, but would also understand if he took that option, especially if Hurt is coming in and he plays a stretch 4 as has been projected. I’d understand that decision but hope that isn’t the case. I want to finally realize the dream we’ve all had of a deep frontcourt next year.
    We had the deepest front courts the past 3 years...

We'll be fine with VCJ, Javin, JRob for the center position.

Let’s all slow our roll. Tre put a question mark after “year two” and it is a picture of him shrugging. He clearly has not decided anything. I just don’t want Duke fans to feel betrayed if he decides to turn pro.

That said, I agree with folks who say a post like that makes it feel like he is leaning toward coming back as he knows it will break our hearts for him to do that and then leave. I don’t think he is 100% to retune, but the odds look VERY favorable for Duke at the moment.

-Jason “if he returns, we are for sure preseason top ten, maybe top five” Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Let’s all slow our roll. Tre put a question mark after “year two” and it is a picture of him shrugging. He clearly has not decided anything. I just don’t want Duke fans to feel betrayed if he decides to turn pro.

That said, I agree with folks who say a post like that makes it feel like he is leaning toward coming back as he knows it will break our hearts for him to do that and then leave. I don’t think he is 100% to retune, but the odds look VERY favorable for Duke at the moment.

Givony said it's likely to become official soon. I feel pretty good about it.

But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

This would go down as the worst troll ever by a Duke player if he leaves... No way he is not returning.

I disagree on the first part but even if it were true in a vacuum, the fact is Vernon Carey Jr exists and it's really hard to envision him and Marques playing together.

On the second part (Hurt playing the 3), you might end up being right for the wrong reason. Javin could start at the 4; remember, he's mobile (heck, Coach K played him at the 3 at times in 2018), should be a two-time captain, and is vocal on the court. I've always sensed that Coach K loves Javin but unfortunately, Javin fouls too much to play 30+ minutes. Perhaps that changes as a senior. Likewise, if Jack stops being scared to shoot, he could be a factor to start as well.

Basically, many people in the offseason will automatically slot in Wendell at SF and Hurt at PF. While that's certainly sensible and very possible, when push comes to shove, will Coach K trust AOC to start over (two-time captains and seniors) Javin and Jack?

Hopeful news on Tre. Dare I say the “deepest” team Duke has had in memory assuming Hurt commits. Tons of lineup possibilities with lots of returning experience. Could be a pipe dream but it could happen...

Tre, JG, Boogie, Wendell, AOC, JBake, Hurt, Jack White, Javin, Mt. Vernon, Bolden

Goldwire also just put up a post with year 2 as the caption. Tre Jones also commented on it with a “fingers crossed” emoji.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv7C6FuH...d=lm4t0a6cbzjo

All signs point to Tre staying at least another year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes the Grayson Allen route and graduates. The boy loves Duke and will eventually have his jersey retired here. Along with a national championship of course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I disagree on the first part but even if it were true in a vacuum, the fact is Vernon Carey Jr exists and it's really hard to envision him and Marques playing together.

On the second part (Hurt playing the 3), you might end up being right for the wrong reason. Javin could start at the 4; remember, he's mobile (heck, Coach K played him at the 3 at times in 2018), should be a two-time captain, and is vocal on the court. I've always sensed that Coach K loves Javin but unfortunately, Javin fouls too much to play 30+ minutes. Perhaps that changes as a senior. Likewise, if Jack stops being scared to shoot, he could be a factor to start as well.

Basically, many people in the offseason will automatically slot in Wendell at SF and Hurt at PF. While that's certainly sensible and very possible, when push comes to shove, will Coach K trust AOC to start over (two-time captains and seniors) Javin and Jack?
    Jack White will not start. We have real problems if he's a starter. I think it would be Tre/Boogie/Moore/Hurt/Carey with Alex O, Joey Baker and DeLaurier off the bench. I think Joey surpasses Jack. I don't think K wants 2 big men on the court a lot. We're not gonna have 2 score at will kids next season like Zion and RJ. Spacing and passing will be so important. Carey and Hurt would be all you'd need in the front court. Not Carey and another traditional big. Not good for spacing- stretching the defense. I think it's just the way basketball has changed. You have a Center and then you have a 4 man who is more like a 3.

Seems like RJ Hampton was waiting on Tre’s decision.

If he does decide to reclassify to this year we might not get him. Hopefully he decides to come in 2020.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...228933129.html

Awesome news! He's a great kid and would love to have him back. Hope Hampton comes too but I wouldn't bet on it if Jones does indeed come back.

Here is the roster I am hoping for (my guess is the Hampton is the most unlikely given that Tre returns in this scenario):

CG - Combo Guard

PG Tre Jones (So)
    CG R.J. Hampton (Fr)
    CG Ellis (Fr)
    CG Goldwire (Jr)
    SG O’Connell (Jr)
    CG Buckmire (Jr)-walk on
    F Moore (Fr)
    F White (Sr)
    F Baker (So)
    F Robinson (Sr)
    PF Hurt (Fr)
    PF/C Delaurier (Sr)
    PF/C Carey, Jr. (Fr)
    C Bolden (Sr)

Redshirt - Coach K’s Grandson (making it more likely we keep Coach K at the helm for 5 more years)

This gives the team incredible depth at every position and protects us in case of injury. If Hampton does not come, I think we ought to consider looking into a transfer at guard to add another shooter. I know some are going to attack my ideal roster as unlikely given Coach K’s penchant for playing 7 or 8 guys. Plus, indications are that Hampton wants the ball in his hands from Day 1 and this is not going to happen with Tre returning. However, I would counter that Hampton, Boogie, and Tre complement one another nicely and you can never have enough guards. Plus, Coach K has shown the ability to adapt (playing zone in 2015) when necessary and playing a deeper lineup may be another new way of playing.

Jack I think it would be Tre/Boogie/Moore/Hurt/Carey with Alex O, Joey Baker and DeLaurier off the bench.
    I'd think O'Connell would start ahead of Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    I'd think O'Connell would start ahead of Boogie.
    It will be interesting to see how much AOC improves between now and next season. Without considerable improvement in the areas of strength and defense especially, I do not view him as a starter.

It's pretty hard to read this as anything other than he's returning, which is obviously fantastic news and makes me extremely excited for next year!!!

I'll try to temper these emotions but kinda hard to with a post like that.

- Chillin