Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    And on top of all that, no college prevents students from transferring for any reason. You don't like your roommate? you can transfer. You don't like the food? You can transfer. The university police is too hard on weed? You can transfer!!! If you want to make the argument that these are student athletes, let them live up to the student part.
    But regular students usually lose credits when they transfer and take six months to a year longer to graduate in

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Seventh Woods leaving UNC?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Per Jeff Goodman tweet, yup
    Is there an 8th on deck?

if not, it is a tragedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil2 View Post
    But regular students usually lose credits when they transfer and take six months to a year longer to graduate in
    And most basketball players have to sit out a year and HAVE TO take longer to graduate. What's the difference?

I think there's a decent argument to be had that college basketball free agency improves parity. Yes alot of times you get a Reid Travis or Cameron Johnson going to a blue blood but at times you also get Michael Gbinije or Semi Ojeleye. Those guys unquestionably made less talented teams better.

And I still haven't heard an argument against in-conference transfers that doesn't start and end with Cameron Johnson.

Why is it so bad? Is there really a distinct advantage for Blackshear to transfer in conference and play against his old school once or twice when they have a new coach? I just don't see it. Let the kids go where they want.

Former top 100 recruits are entering the transfer portal from Oregon, Victor Bailey and Miles Norris.

https://www.addictedtoquack.com/2019...er-from-oregon

Former Duke player Derryck Thornton is grad transferring from USC
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-grad-transfer

Paging Boogie Ellis. Open PG spot on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Former Duke player Derryck Thornton is grad transferring from USC
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-grad-transfer
    I want no jokes about his trash talking uncle and the family belief that he would be quickly in the NBA. Every kid runs their own race and (from what I understand) Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want no jokes about his trash talking uncle and the family belief that he would be quickly in the NBA. Every kid runs their own race and (from what I understand) Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.
    No jokes from me. I watched USC a bit the past two years since they are a PAC 12 team and I follow Colorado. Derryck wasn't bad but he never looked significantly better than he did at Duke.

I liked the kid and was sorry he left Duke. As I recall, his uncle or someone thought that Duke should feature him more in the offense - maybe more high ball screens but I can't specifically remember. I don't think he is ever going to be the offensive player that some thought but he sure was a good defender, played hard and seemed to be a good teammate.

Some kids peak early, maybe his skills won't catch up to his quickness and athletic ability. As long as he doesn't go to UNC, and that's unlikely, I wish the kid well.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    No jokes from me. I watched USC a bit the past two years since they are a PAC 12 team and I follow Colorado. Derryck wasn't bad but he never looked significantly better than he did at Duke.

I liked the kid and was sorry he left Duke. As I recall, his uncle or someone thought that Duke should feature him more in the offense - maybe more high ball screens but I can't specifically remember. I don't think he is ever going to be the offensive player that some thought but he sure was a good defender, played hard and seemed to be a good teammate.

Some kids peak early, maybe his skills won't catch up to his quickness and athletic ability. As long as he doesn't go to UNC, and that's unlikely, I wish the kid well.
    One story about Drryck that I read somewhere. He was very unhappy about leaving Duke, as he told friends who were taking him to the airport, but he had no choice.

He was an absolute jet on the floor -- I can't recall anyone else being as fast dribbling up the court.

Then the block against Joel Berry II to save the game at UNC in 2016, a big upset for #20 Duke against #5 UNC.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And most of us have some very fond memories of the young man.

… Derryck did not leave Duke on bad terms.
    So you're saying there's a chance ...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    One story about Drryck that I read somewhere. He was very unhappy about leaving Duke, as he told friends who were taking him to the airport, but he had no choice.

He was an absolute jet on the floor -- I can't recall anyone else being as fast dribbling up the court.

Then the block against Joel Berry II to save the game at UNC in 2016, a big upset for #20 Duke against #5 UNC.
    Perhaps the saddest part (for me, as an avid fan) is that Derryck struck me (and strikes me) as the type of player that would have had a great arc at Duke and ended up as a solid upperclassman. If not exceptional, I think he would have been a serviceable, in-the-rotation leader on the court. The type of player that many of us really grow fond of over 3 or 4 years. And the type of player that typically gets a look in the NBA, at least with a shot in the G-League, to make a name for himself, given a long, stable, trusted history in the Duke program and a (hopefully) positive career arc both in stats and in tangible and intangible skills.

It's disappointing but understandable that this past year at USC appears that he has only now surpassed the counting stats of his freshman year at Duke. He started 27 of the 32 games in which he played, averaging 7.7 pts, 4.3 asts, 2.3 rebs, and 1.2 stls per game in ~28 minutes. Certainly not the stuff of legend, but reasonably solid nonetheless. And while I didn't really watch any USC games, at least objectively his storyline now appears to be one of a journeyman, playing 4 seasons across 5 college years at 3 different schools, none of which (to this point) have been particularly eye opening.

I wish him nothing but the best. But Derryck does appear to be a bit of a cautionary tale, and that's not meant to be a knock on him as much as an observation about how his career seems to have gone thus far.

- Chillin

While it won't happen, if he came back to Duke, I'm sure he'd be received by the Crazies like a prodigal son.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Perhaps the saddest part (for me, as an avid fan) is that Derryck struck me (and strikes me) as the type of player that would have had a great arc at Duke and ended up as a solid upperclassman. If not exceptional, I think he would have been a serviceable, in-the-rotation leader on the court. The type of player that many of us really grow fond of over 3 or 4 years. And the type of player that typically gets a look in the NBA, at least with a shot in the G-League, to make a name for himself, given a long, stable, trusted history in the Duke program and a (hopefully) positive career arc both in stats and in tangible and intangible skills.

It's disappointing but understandable that this past year at USC appears that he has only now surpassed the counting stats of his freshman year at Duke. He started 27 of the 32 games in which he played, averaging 7.7 pts, 4.3 asts, 2.3 rebs, and 1.2 stls per game in ~28 minutes. Certainly not the stuff of legend, but reasonably solid nonetheless. And while I didn't really watch any USC games, at least objectively his storyline now appears to be one of a journeyman, playing 4 seasons across 5 college years at 3 different schools, none of which (to this point) have been particularly eye opening.

I wish him nothing but the best. But Derryck does appear to be a bit of a cautionary tale, and that's not meant to be a knock on him as much as an observation about how his career seems to have gone thus far.

- Chillin
    Yes, it's disappointing Derryck didn't stick it out at Duke - I think it would have worked out better for him.

But, another transfer for him indicates to me that there must still be a significant mismatch between the player he is and the player his Uncle/family think he is, because I really don't see how he could expect to have a much better opportunity next year than was in front of him at USC. As you note, he played 28 mpg last year as basically USC's starting PG and he's slated to be that this year again, too (Jonah Mathews is much more of a 2 and their incoming Grad transfers Daniel Utomi and Quinton Adlesh also appear to be 2s rather than PGs). USC does have an incoming freshman PG Kyle Sturdivant, but the 247 Sports composite has him as a 3* and the #139 recruit in the class. If Thornton can't beat out a 3* freshman for PG at USC, it's hard to see how he thinks he will find a better opportunity someplace else.

The LA Times would agree

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Yes, it's disappointing Derryck didn't stick it out at Duke - I think it would have worked out better for him.

But, another transfer for him indicates to me that there must still be a significant mismatch between the player he is and the player his Uncle/family think he is, because I really don't see how he could expect to have a much better opportunity next year than was in front of him at USC. As you note, he played 28 mpg last year as basically USC's starting PG and he's slated to be that this year again, too (Jonah Mathews is much more of a 2 and their incoming Grad transfers Daniel Utomi and Quinton Adlesh also appear to be 2s rather than PGs). USC does have an incoming freshman PG Kyle Sturdivant, but the 247 Sports composite has him as a 3* and the #139 recruit in the class. If Thornton can't beat out a 3* freshman for PG at USC, it's hard to see how he thinks he will find a better opportunity someplace else.
    LA Times: "Thornton struggled with inconsistency and decision-making as a floor leader, and by the end of the season it appeared that Elijah Weaver was gaining momentum as the program's future point guard."

It's a real shame that he listened to Uncle Trainer. He would have progressed a lot more at Duke, and all we needed the last two years was another basket in the Elite Eight. He would have made Duke better, so if he had stayed that would have been a real win-win for him and for the team.

No question for me the kid was better off at Duke...no question...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

IMHO

I think USC wanted Thornton to be a pass first PG and for some reason he thought he should shoot more.

Not at all surprised to see him leave.

I think if he would have stayed at Duke he would have wanted a bigger role than Coach K wanted him to have.

SoCal

Interesting. Looking at his season by season stats, it appears his best year was his freshman year at duke....

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think USC wanted Thornton to be a pass first PG and for some reason he thought he should shoot more.

Not at all surprised to see him leave.

I think if he would have stayed at Duke he would have wanted a bigger role than Coach K wanted him to have.

SoCal
    Even assuming you are right that he would have wanted a bigger role, is that really important? I am sure there have been a lot of Duke players over the years that have wanted a bigger role than Coach K gave them. The real issue is how they responded, and how Derryck would have responded, to the role they got. In Derryck’s case, we know some family members did not respond all that well. But it’s harder to know how Derryck would have responded given more time at Duke to grow and learn.