Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

2019 Offseason Transfer Megathread

Not sure I saw a thread of this type anywhere so I figured I'd start it, along with this piece of news: K.J. Lawson is planning on transferring from Kansas, after playing there for just one year after transferring from Memphis.

Dual-transfers like this are reasonably rare, but seem to be happening more and more (facilitated by grad-transfer rules). It's unclear whether Lawson is a grad transfer candidate, but it is a possibility considering he spent two years on campus at Memphis (he got a medical redshirt in his first year) and two years at Kansas (one sitting out after the transfer, and then playing last year).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this news is followed quickly by news that his brother Dedric is going pro (it looks like he'd be a mid-second round pick according to most mocks)... that's one of the few ways this makes sense to me, especially if K.J. isn't eligible for a grad-transfer and would have to sit out another year at his new school. But it seems like an odd situation to be sure.

With K.J. leaving and Dedric possibly doing so, Kansas could be losing a lot next year... LaGerald Vick is a senior and will be gone (although considering he left the team midway through the year and had tested the NBA draft waters last season, he was possibly gone regardless), Udoka Azubuike could choose to settle for being a potential second round draft pick rather than risk another injury in a return for a senior season, and Quintin Grimes and Devon Dotson were both such highly rated recruits that it's always possible one of them makes an ill-informed decision to declare for the draft, as seems to be happening more and more for top-rated players who underperform. The Jayhawks are going to have to really hope they land one of the remaining top-tier recruits if they want to get back atop the Big 12 next year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Not sure I saw a thread of this type anywhere so I figured I'd start it, along with this piece of news: K.J. Lawson is planning on transferring from Kansas, after playing there for just one year after transferring from Memphis.

Dual-transfers like this are reasonably rare, but seem to be happening more and more (facilitated by grad-transfer rules). It's unclear whether Lawson is a grad transfer candidate, but it is a possibility considering he spent two years on campus at Memphis (he got a medical redshirt in his first year) and two years at Kansas (one sitting out after the transfer, and then playing last year).

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this news is followed quickly by news that his brother Dedric is going pro (it looks like he'd be a mid-second round pick according to most mocks)... that's one of the few ways this makes sense to me, especially if K.J. isn't eligible for a grad-transfer and would have to sit out another year at his new school. But it seems like an odd situation to be sure.

With K.J. leaving and Dedric possibly doing so, Kansas could be losing a lot next year... LaGerald Vick is a senior and will be gone (although considering he left the team midway through the year and had tested the NBA draft waters last season, he was possibly gone regardless), Udoka Azubuike could choose to settle for being a potential second round draft pick rather than risk another injury in a return for a senior season, and Quintin Grimes and Devon Dotson were both such highly rated recruits that it's always possible one of them makes an ill-informed decision to declare for the draft, as seems to be happening more and more for top-rated players who underperform. The Jayhawks are going to have to really hope they land one of the remaining top-tier recruits if they want to get back atop the Big 12 next year.
    KU has two dual transfers. Charlie Moore is also leaving.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Saw that right after my post and thought about adding it but you beat me to it, haha. He wasn't much of a contributor though (not that K.J. was a world beater but he did play 10 mpg at least).

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Saw that right after my post and thought about adding it but you beat me to it, haha. He wasn't much of a contributor though (not that K.J. was a world beater but he did play 10 mpg at least).
    What's your take on why they're transferring? Is it because of the uncertainty of the sneaker scandal or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    What's your take on why they're transferring? Is it because of the uncertainty of the sneaker scandal or something else?
    Well, neither played major minutes after transferring from second-tier conferences. Could be that they realized they were in over their heads.

Figured this was worth bumping and moving discussion of the latest transfer news, this regarding Wojo's Marquette, here... the Hauser brothers, arguably Marquette's biggest non-Marcus Howard players, are transferring.

a lot of people will be after the Hauser brothers. UVA and Wisconsin being mentioned. really bad optics for wojo to lose his top 2 rebounders and 2 of his 3 top scorers. marquette was looking like a top 10 team with Howard returning and the Hauser brothers.
    Last edited by frb; 04-16-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    a lot of people will be after the Hauser brothers. UVA and Wisconsin being mentioned. really bad optics for wojo to lose his top 2 rebounders and 2 of his 3 top scorers. marquette was looking like a top 10 team with Howard returning and the Hauser brothers.
    I think it's bad optics for the Hauser brothers too. Looks like they just decided to go shopping for the heck of it. This story has a strange feel to it. Maybe a butt-inski dad influence while the kids were back home? You know in theory player freedom is a good thing. In practice it's often capricious and harmful to teammates.

Virginia Tech F Kerry Blackshear Jr is transferring. He is potentially a grad transfer and eligible to play right away.

Somebody is going to get real lucky with him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Virginia Tech F Kerry Blackshear Jr is transferring. He is potentially a grad transfer and eligible to play right away.

Somebody is going to get real lucky with him next year.
    Please don't say UNC. Please don't say UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I have a feeling.

They have already established themselves as the intra-ACC transfer experts.

For real. Blackshear would surpass Reid Travis as the highest impact grad transfer in recent memory. I’m actually a little surprised he doesn’t just go ahead and put his name in the draft pool while also exploring transfers. If he goes to UNC that would be huge, add in Cole Anthony and they are in the title mix.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Would he and Bacot complement each other?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    For real. Blackshear would surpass Reid Travis as the highest impact grad transfer in recent memory. I’m actually a little surprised he doesn’t just go ahead and put his name in the draft pool while also exploring transfers. If he goes to UNC that would be huge, add in Cole Anthony and they are in the title mix.
    He's from Orlando, so maybe he's a UF fan and wants to play there. Or maybe he loved playing with Buzz and will go to Texas A&M. Just trying to think optimistically here. Him going to UNC would be an AWFUL turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Corey Evans reported that Blackshear is considering the NBA as an option. My hope is that he follows Buzz Williams out of the ACC or goes pro.

Is it just me, or is this transfer thing getting a little out of control? It's like an entire additional recruiting market every offseason now. Why are there SO many guys transferring so often now? And within the conference should absolutely not be allowed. That's whack.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    I have a feeling.

They have already established themselves as the intra-ACC transfer experts.
    He might shoot 30 FT/game if he plays for the cheats.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Would he and Bacot complement each other?
    Blackshear's shooting touch and mobility would help him play alongside pretty much anyone. Now, VaTech unlocked a lot of mismatches by having him play center, and you'd lose some of that advantage if you pair him with a low-post player. But he's talented and versatile enough to fit anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Is it just me, or is this transfer thing getting a little out of control? It's like an entire additional recruiting market every offseason now. Why are there SO many guys transferring so often now? And within the conference should absolutely not be allowed. That's whack.
    Intra-conference transfers are governed by Section VI-2 of the conference bylaws, which requires a player transferring from one ACC school to another to sit out a year. So even if you were immediately eligible under NCAA rules, you'd still have to sit out a year under the ACC rule.

But grad-transfers are exempted from the ACC rule. So if the player has graduated, neither NCAA nor ACC rules would mandate a year off. That said, the school is allowed--though the practice is publicly unpopular--to put certain restrictions on grad transfers. Most schools have restrictions that would prevent transferring within the conference...

...unless you're going to UNC and you get the media to relentlessly pressure the original school into granting you a waiver.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think it's bad optics for the Hauser brothers too. Looks like they just decided to go shopping for the heck of it. This story has a strange feel to it. Maybe a butt-inski dad influence while the kids were back home? You know in theory player freedom is a good thing. In practice it's often capricious and harmful to teammates.
    Or, perhaps they think Howard is too much of a ball hog. Either way, it's a strange, bad look for all involved.