Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Almost the entirety of my team could be driving Shermans.

I request a do over.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason's Team of Destiny will rely on quantity over quality

Jon Rahm
    Xander Schauffele
    Francesco Molinari
    Adam Scott
    Phil Mickelson
    Matthew Fitzpatrick
    Graeme McDowell
    Rahm - 4
    Schauffle +3
    Molinari +3
    Scott +7
    Mickelson +5
    Fitzpatrick E
    McDowell +2

The course has not been kind today. Ouch!

-Jason "these look like bad US Open scores" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Rahm - 4
    Schauffle +3
    Molinari +3
    Scott +7
    Mickelson +5
    Fitzpatrick E
    McDowell +2

The course has not been kind today. Ouch!

-Jason "these look like bad US Open scores" Evans
    I'm mostly pleased with my squad, though a couple of guys REALLY hurt their weekend chances:
    Koepka -3
    Finau -3
    Spieth -1
    Kisner -1
    Woods +6
    Scott +7

Four guys reasonably in contention, with two near the top of the board. Just wish Scott and Woods could be at like +2 or +3 instead of +6 and +7.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm mostly pleased with my squad, though a couple of guys REALLY hurt their weekend chances:
    Koepka -3
    Finau -3
    Spieth -1
    Kisner -1
    Woods +6
    Scott +7

Four guys reasonably in contention, with two near the top of the board. Just wish Scott and Woods could be at like +2 or +3 instead of +6 and +7.
    I'm almost exactly the same with different names

Koepka -3
    Fleetwood -3
    Oosthuisen -1
    Stenson -1
    Poulter +4
    Rory +8

Like many, the Rory pick is really hurting. Can't imagine how he's feeling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Ha ha ha. I'm the dope of the day. I'm flying around work today, trying to get 100 things done, saw a news notification pop up on my phone about who should be the favorite to win The Open. Jumped straight to DBR to put in my picks. Even after I hit "submit" and rushed off to another meeting, I thought, "hmmmm, I must have just got my picks in, they have to be starting soon". I didn't realize how late it was over there.

I didn't see any scores, but I would never want to be in a competition with any doubt as to the validity of my picks. That's no fun for anyone involved. I wouldn't want to lose under those circumstances, and I certainly wouldn't want to win under those circumstances.

With that said, I recuse myself from the competition. I will however, follow my picks to see how I would've done. I will place a pie bet with myself if I "win".

Good luck to all those, who, you know, paid attention and played by the rules by getting their picks in before the tournament started. What a ma-roon.
    Thanks, LHL. This is the right outcome and in the spirit of the game. Kind of like calling a penalty on yourself. For the next time, we make the deadline 11:59 p.m. ET the Wednesday night before, which is actually most relevant for The Open Championship because the first players tee off not long after midnight ET.

On a separate note, I'm feeling pretty good about the Lowry (-4) pick right now. And Rahm (-3). Also have Stenson (-1), Spieth (-1) and Matsuyama (E) in the mix. Not surprisingly there are a lot of interesting European names under par. You've got Westwood, Garcia, Fleetwood and Rose in that group. I don't have them, but I'm also keeping an eye on Kuchar, Oosthuizen and Cantlay, who I think are well suited to this course. And Koepka is just a machine. How he does it major after major is really incredible. Spieth had a stretch like this and other than that, Tiger is the only other guy who has been able to do what he's done in the majors the last two years.

Shocked that Rory blew up like he did and wish I had taken Rose instead - it was a tossup between the two but I went with Rory's local and course knowledge. Shows how much pressure and the mental part of the game makes a difference in golf. Not shocked Tiger blew up. He talked himself out of the tournament before it started.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Well, this certainly sucks:
    Tiger +7
    Rory +8
    Molinari +3

Offset a bit by --
    Fleetwood -3
    Spieth -1
    Matt Wallace +2
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Finau punished me for benching him in favor of Molinari. It feels like FFB!
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Thanks, LHL. This is the right outcome and in the spirit of the game. Kind of like calling a penalty on yourself. For the next time, we make the deadline 11:59 p.m. ET the Wednesday night before, which is actually most relevant for The Open Championship because the first players tee off not long after midnight ET.

On a separate note, I'm feeling pretty good about the Lowry (-4) pick right now. And Rahm (-3). Also have Stenson (-1), Spieth (-1) and Matsuyama (E) in the mix. Not surprisingly there are a lot of interesting European names under par. You've got Westwood, Garcia, Fleetwood and Rose in that group. I don't have them, but I'm also keeping an eye on Kuchar, Oosthuizen and Cantlay, who I think are well suited to this course. And Koepka is just a machine. How he does it major after major is really incredible. Spieth had a stretch like this and other than that, Tiger is the only other guy who has been able to do what he's done in the majors the last two years.

Shocked that Rory blew up like he did and wish I had taken Rose instead - it was a tossup between the two but I went with Rory's local and course knowledge. Shows how much pressure and the mental part of the game makes a difference in golf. Not shocked Tiger blew up. He talked himself out of the tournament before it started.
    I was quite torn between Rory and Rose in the 8 point OWGR range as well. Also spent time mulling Rahm or Schauffele in the 6 point range. Messed those both up

Rory McIlroy - 8 (+8)
    Xander Schauffele - 6 (+3)
    Tommy Fleetwood - 4 (-3)
    Adam Scott - 4 (+7)
    Louis Oosthuizen - 3 (-1)
    Matt Wallace - 3 (+2)
    Bernd Wiesberger - 2 (-1)

Here's to Fleetwood, Oosthuizen and Wiesberger (Sounds like a North Sea shipping conglomerate) playing well since I'm already drawing dead with Rory and Adam Scott
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Rory +8
    Rickie Fowler -1
    Fleetwood -3
    Mickelson +5
    Sergio -3
    Stenson -1
    Oosthuizen -1

5 guys below par and two that will likely get cut. I guess that's not too bad after day one.

The good news for former Duke star Kevin Streelman, he finished better than Tiger, Rory and Adam Scott. The bad news, he shot 6 over par.

Rory +8 (I should have taken Sabbatini, I guess)
    JT E
    Kuch -1
    Kis -1
    Rickie -1
    Lowry -4

Not terrible, especially the Lowry pick. And lots of golf left.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Rory +8 (I should have taken Sabbatini, I guess)
    JT E
    Kuch -1
    Kis -1
    Rickie -1
    Lowry -4

Not terrible, especially the Lowry pick. And lots of golf left.
    Really funny -- Rory's round sounds like a score by a total rookie -- +8, with a quad, a triple and a double -- the other 15 holes were -1. I thought the great pros could turn any junk hole into a bogey, at worst.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I believe Father Time has caught up with Phil and Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I believe Father Time has caught up with Phil and Tiger
    Not sure if you saw it but Tiger said exactly that in his post-round comments.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Interesting. Wasn't it just three short months ago that 🐅 was atop the golfing world?

He aged a lot in a very short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Really funny -- Rory's round sounds like a score by a total rookie -- +8, with a quad, a triple and a double -- the other 15 holes were -1. I thought the great pros could turn any junk hole into a bogey, at worst.
    Rory hit the cycle: birdie, par, bogie, double, triple, quad.

Poor David Duval couldn't turn a junk hole into a bogey, registering a 14 on the par 5 7th. 9 over on just one hole.

Duval goes out birdie, birdie on 1 and 2, and then pars 18 to save 91, 20 over par. 22 over on the 16 holes in between.

I know he probably gets a prior winner's exemption and I hate to say this as he and I are only a few months apart, but should Duval just not play any more? I understand Jack, Arnie, et al leading off at the Masters. I'm not sure David's presence evokes similar nostalgia.

The Cut

The cut will be Top 70 and ties (like the PGA and US Open; no "within 10 shots" rule like the Masters). As of right now, that's at +1. I'd expect it to shift downward to +2 as the round progresses, but we'll see.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The cut will be Top 70 and ties (like the PGA and US Open; no "within 10 shots" rule like the Masters). As of right now, that's at +1. I'd expect it to shift downward to +2 as the round progresses, but we'll see.
    Unless the weather changes, +1 is looking pretty solid. 80 players there.

Course seems to be playing much easier. Lots of -3 or better rounds being posted thus far.

Dukie Kevin Streelman is 6-under on the day through 16 holes to pull himself back to even par. At the moment, it seems like he is going to make the cut.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It was nice to wake up this morning and watch The Open for a while. The course, especially the front 9, seemed to be playing a bit easier today. Jordan Spieth played well and had some chances (mid range putts) to score even better (he was -4 for the day). I thought Brooks was a few barely missed putts from putting up a great number as well. As someone who is not a Tiger fan, watching him lumber around with that look on his face was great! I wonder if ESPN will bother to cover The Open if TW doesn't make the cut! Sometimes it's nice to see guys like JB Holmes and Lowery who are built kinda like an average guy go out and play well (I've always thought one of the reasons Phil appealed to people is because he looks like a big doofus).

Note...I'd take Left_Hand_Lacey at his word and let his entry count. Not trying to stir any pots but sometimes you gotta just trust people.