Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Montreal Magic Food

I'n Montreal for the next two weeks for work. Hoping someone has a restaurant or bar, or activity suggestion that is a MUST do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'n Montreal for the next two weeks for work. Hoping someone has a restaurant or bar, or activity suggestion that is a MUST do.

Thanks
    You lucky, lucky dog. Haven't been since my Vermont days, but you are in for a fun two weeks.

if you want something unique and kind of fancy, Au Pied de Cochon is pretty memorable...sit at the bar perhaps...the chef somewhat revolutionized French Canadian comfort food...literally world class poutine on which you can get some foie gras...they also have ultra fresh seafood...

But some of the best food is found just wandering around some of the major thoroughfares...like St. Laurent for example...Old Montreal is a bit touristy but there are lots of great restaurants there..

One of our favorites is Restaurant Les Pyrenees in Old Montreal, good food and value, nice ambiance...

For a lunch, Schwartz's Deli features Montreal Smoked Meat, kind of a hybrid between corned beef and pastrami...historic place

presumably you are staying downtown? PM me if you have any questions..

One of our favorite things in the summer is just wandering around downtown Montreal on a warm evening...Crescent St. is filled with bars and is lively...

Just asking the people with whom you're working should be fruitful in finding what you like...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    if you want something unique and kind of fancy, Au Pied de Cochon is pretty memorable...sit at the bar perhaps...the chef somewhat revolutionized French Canadian comfort food...literally world class poutine on which you can get some foie gras...they also have ultra fresh seafood...

But some of the best food is found just wandering around some of the major thoroughfares...like St. Laurent for example...Old Montreal is a bit touristy but there are lots of great restaurants there..

One of our favorites is Restaurant Les Pyrenees in Old Montreal, good food and value, nice ambiance...

For a lunch, Schwartz's Deli features Montreal Smoked Meat, kind of a hybrid between corned beef and pastrami...historic place

presumably you are staying downtown? PM me if you have any questions..

One of our favorite things in the summer is just wandering around downtown Montreal on a warm evening...Crescent St. is filled with bars and is lively...

Just asking the people with whom you're working should be fruitful in finding what you like...
    +1 on Au Pied de Cochon. Terrific stuff. Will also toss in a vote for Joe Beef. Montreal bagels are awesome, as are the poutine food trucks near the St. Lawrence River in Old Montreal. When the weather is good, the park at the top of Mont Royal is a really nice place to hang out, with terrific views of downtown. We visited the Olympic Village sites, but not sure it's really worth going out of one's way.

Enjoy! It's a great town.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

^ yes, good ideas there, the Parc is wonderful...definitely no reason to go to see Olympic Stadium (way out of the way) unless you want to see the worst, most overpriced (literally) stadium in the history of North American pro sports. An abomination.

The weather is grand up here now, highs in the seventies...perfect for ambling around downtown in the evenings...if you're up for a bit of culture, the Fine Arts museum is downtown, near Crescent St., and has lots of world class paintings.

The subway (metro) has rubber tires, easy to use and quiet...so there's that!

Thanks for all the suggestions. One of the engineers that is hosting us suggested Schwartz's deli that budwom mentioned. He looked at me and said, "Big Americans always like Schwartz's deli". 😂

Thanks for all the suggestions. One of the engineers that is hosting us suggested Schwartz's deli that budwom mentioned. He looked at me and said, "Big Americans always like Schwartz's deli". 😂
    Interested to see what you think of Montreal Smoked Meat...to me it is a hybrid between corned beef and pastrami, but not as good as either..something about the spice...but it IS pretty good...

Many of the best meals in town are not ultra fancy ones...lots of ethnic food, just ask your pals for suggestions..

Interested to see what you think of Montreal Smoked Meat...to me it is a hybrid between corned beef and pastrami, but not as good as either..something about the spice...but it IS pretty good...

Many of the best meals in town are not ultra fancy ones...lots of ethnic food, just ask your pals for suggestions..
    Yeah, he just asked me if I liked smoked meat for lunch. I told him it's my favorite. I smoke something every weekend. Pork shoulders, ribs, you name it. He said Montreal smoked pastrami. Lol. About to find out if I like it or not because he just ordered it for lunch.

Yeah, he just asked me if I liked smoked meat for lunch. I told him it's my favorite. I smoke something every weekend. Pork shoulders, ribs, you name it. He said Montreal smoked pastrami. Lol. About to find out if I like it or not because he just ordered it for lunch.
    I'll be interested to get your opinion...it is definitely NOT pastrami, a different entity for sure...you can do a lot worse for lunch...

I'll be interested to get your opinion...it is definitely NOT pastrami, a different entity for sure...you can do a lot worse for lunch...
    Why do I sense a Katz's corned beef/pastrami vs Montreal corned beef/pastrami discussion is forthcoming...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why do I sense a Katz's corned beef/pastrami vs Montreal corned beef/pastrami discussion is forthcoming...

There are certainly parallels...both places are historic. Katz's goes back to 1888 or so, starting with a different name...Schartz's began in 1928. Nothing nouveau about either of them.
    I strongly prefer pastrami, but taste is taste and some prefer smoked meat...both can induce the joy you get when you hoist a sandwich, bite into it, and "juice" dribbles down your arm.

It was delicious.

My 22-year old daughter just moved to Montreal yesterday to begin grad school at McGill. She loves food and is already eager to try out many of the places to eat in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    My 22-year old daughter just moved to Montreal yesterday to begin grad school at McGill. She loves food and is already eager to try out many of the places to eat in Montreal.
    A fine institution! What is she studying?

Question: Where do you get the best Montreal bagel?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I thought this thread was going to be about mushrooms...

Restaurant Duoro

I was in Montreal two years ago for two nights on business. Traveling with some other lawyers.

Went to Restaurant Duora, a Portugese seafood restaurant. The food was excellent, if a bit overpriced. The wine was excellent and short poured. One of my colleagues, never afraid to make a scene, made a scene about the wine and they made it up to us in spades.

Food and ambiance was great.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    So who's going to start the thread devildeac suggested about competing pastrami's and name it Duke vs. McGill?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Question: Where do you get the best Montreal bagel?
    I feel like this is a set up. What's the punch line?

I feel like this is a set up. What's the punch line?
    I've been to a bunch of places in the US that feature Montreal-style bagels. So, it seems there would be some outstanding purveyors. I met a guy this summer who gets a shipment every month of frozen Montreal bagels and treasures them. I'll do some research and report back.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013