Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You are actually at 30 by dropping Frittelli (since Graeme costs 2 and not 1). But by dropping Frittelli you are indeed now within the rules.
    Oh yeah, thanks for that. Now I feel better (hate leaving points on the board).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Team CB&B

Rory McIlroy 8
    Justin Rose 8
    Tiger Woods 7
    Adam Scott 4
    Louis Oosthuizen 3

Winning score - 17
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Rory McIlroy - 8
    Xander Schauffele - 6
    Tommy Fleetwood - 4
    Adam Scott - 4
    Louis Oosthuizen - 3
    Matt Wallace - 3
    Bernd Wiesberger - 2

Going with a European heavy team

Winning score (-11)
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I'm going to continue to pick with my heart and choose Phil and Rickie even though they always disappoint me...

Rory 8
    Rickie Fowler 5
    Fleetwood 4
    Mickelson 3
    Sergio 3
    Stenson 3
    Oosthuizen 3

Winning score -11

Team "LeftHook Into the Woods'" Team

Adam Scott 4
    Finau 4
    Cantlay 6
    Molinari 6
    Koepka 10

Winning Score -12

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Adam Scott 4
    Finau 4
    Cantlay 6
    Molinari 6
    Koepka 10

Winning Score -12
    But did you get elect to forego picking Rory *after* learning he opened with a snowman?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Adam Scott 4
    Finau 4
    Cantlay 6
    Molinari 6
    Koepka 10

Winning Score -12
    Dude... there were like a dozen guys who had completed their round (and 30+ others who had already played multiple holes) when you made these picks. Now, it is worth noting that you likely did not look at the leaderboard to pick guys like Sergio, Webb Simpson, and Greame McDowell (each of whom were among the leaders when you posted your picks), but I still think making picks hours after the tournament has started is frought with problems. As Tripping Bill noted, Rory is sucking big time and you might have been tempted to pick him but saw that he was playing terrible so you went elsewhere.

All that said, I think the odds are excellent that Left Hook did not look at scores when making his picks. After all, he put significant points on Scott (+3) and Molinari (+3). The rest of his picks were yet to tee off when he made the picks.

Still, I think it is a dangerous precedent. I do not run this contest, so I leave it to others to make the call, but I feel like this entry should probably be disqualified.

-Jason "Sorry, Left Hook... just how I see it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Apparently weight was not Phil's problem. Despite bragging about his diet, Mickelson shot 5-over on his opening round... currently in 99th place out of 107 guys who have played a hole. Ouch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Still, I think it is a dangerous precedent. I do not run this contest, so I leave it to others to make the call, but I feel like this entry should probably be disqualified.
    I agree. The contest rules state when picks are due. I am on my phone so it is too hard to search, cut and paste.
    Bob Green

Duval was 2 under through two holes. Pretty awesome start. On holes 5-6-7 he was 13 over. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Duval was 2 under through two holes. Pretty awesome start. On holes 5-6-7 he was 13 over. Ouch.
    He finished the round at 19 over. Had a 13 on one hole. Double ouch.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The last time David Duval made a cut... Donald Trump was not even a candidate for President yet. He has shot exactly 1 round under par in the past 2 years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've not watched, but have been eyeing the ups and downs of the leaderboard. It seems pretty clear that course can change your fortunes drastically and quickly.

So far, at least two of my guys have totally tanked today. WTG Rory and Adam...grrrrrr.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just goes to show that for 3 holes, I can play like a PGA tour professional!

Having Rory and Phil on my my team and having them both finish at +5, I suspect that I'm done. Bummer because I tend to pick guys that I like...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Just goes to show that for 3 holes, I can play like a PGA tour professional!

Having Rory and Phil on my my team and having them both finish at +5, I suspect that I'm done. Bummer because I tend to pick guys that I like...
    Even worse: Rory finished +8.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He finished the round at 19 over. Had a 13 on one hole. Double ouch.
    He apparently played a provisional ball but played the wrong one after the tee shot, so had to go back to the tee and replay the hole. Playing by the real rules is tough - that would never happen to me!

Lots of big numbers so far, but as we’ve seen with the British, sorry Open Championship, weather and fortunes can change quickly.

That said, Brooks Koepka is just a golf terminator methodically destroying everything in front of him.

Dude... there were like a dozen guys who had completed their round (and 30+ others who had already played multiple holes) when you made these picks. Now, it is worth noting that you likely did not look at the leaderboard to pick guys like Sergio, Webb Simpson, and Greame McDowell (each of whom were among the leaders when you posted your picks), but I still think making picks hours after the tournament has started is frought with problems. As Tripping Bill noted, Rory is sucking big time and you might have been tempted to pick him but saw that he was playing terrible so you went elsewhere.

All that said, I think the odds are excellent that Left Hook did not look at scores when making his picks. After all, he put significant points on Scott (+3) and Molinari (+3). The rest of his picks were yet to tee off when he made the picks.

-Jason "Sorry, Left Hook... just how I see it" Evans

Ha ha ha. I'm the dope of the day. I'm flying around work today, trying to get 100 things done, saw a news notification pop up on my phone about who should be the favorite to win The Open. Jumped straight to DBR to put in my picks. Even after I hit "submit" and rushed off to another meeting, I thought, "hmmmm, I must have just got my picks in, they have to be starting soon". I didn't realize how late it was over there.

I didn't see any scores, but I would never want to be in a competition with any doubt as to the validity of my picks. That's no fun for anyone involved. I wouldn't want to lose under those circumstances, and I certainly wouldn't want to win under those circumstances.

With that said, I recuse myself from the competition. I will however, follow my picks to see how I would've done. I will place a pie bet with myself if I "win".

Good luck to all those, who, you know, paid attention and played by the rules by getting their picks in before the tournament started. What a ma-roon.

The last time David Duval made a cut... Donald Trump was not even a candidate for President yet. He has shot exactly 1 round under par in the past 2 years.
    Duval was the world number one at a time when Tiger was getting really good. It's crazy how far and fast he fell.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have Rory and Phil as well. You got to feel for Rory. With the history of Northern Ireland (I don't pretend to fully understand it) he had to think he would never have this chance. Then suddenly they announce they're playing it on his childhood course. Heck, he shot a 61 on this course as a 13-year-old! I was really cheering for him.

Luckily, Sergio, Oosthuizen and Fleetwood are near the lead for me and Stenson and Fowler haven't played themselves out.

Duval was the world number one at a time when Tiger was getting really good. It's crazy how far and fast he fell.
    Yes. He became a complete wreck.

The part of the story that never gets told, though, is that he made a comeback, after dropping like a rock and losing all confidence in his game. He made a comeback that almost resulted in a U.S. Open win. It was the U.S. Open at Bethpage Black, won by Lucas Glover. Duval had about a 15-foot birdie putt on the 70th hole of the tournament that lipped out. Had it gone in, I think he would've ended up winning.

He had a really, really bad round today, but he could still beat anybody posting on this thread, and he could do it easily.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yes. He became a complete wreck.

The part of the story that never gets told, though, is that he made a comeback, after dropping like a rock and losing all confidence in his game. He made a comeback that almost resulted in a U.S. Open win. It was the U.S. Open at Bethpage Black, won by Lucas Glover. Duval had about a 15-foot birdie putt on the 70th hole of the tournament that lipped out. Had it gone in, I think he would've ended up winning.
    If I remember correctly, he became obsessed with getting stronger. He hurt himself by not lifting properly and that caused a lot of the issues.

He had a really, really bad round today, but he could still beat anybody posting on this thread, and he could do it easily.
    Unless they played college golf, no one on this thread is sniffing 100 in major conditions. I knew a guy that was a scratch golfer. He played the Wednesday pro-am before a PGA event and shot high 90s. He told me that the rough was like nothing he had played before and the greens were substantially faster than he was used to playing. That was before a regular PGA event not a major.

I'm not a good golfer but generally break 90 on the local courses. I played the Broadmoor the Wednesday after the US Women's open. They elected to keep the course in US Open conditions for a week following the event for members and visitors that wanted the experience. I had a 1 hour rain delay (it poured) right before I teed off. Despite that, the greens were lightning fast. I shot well over 100.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 07-18-2019 at 01:50 PM.