Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    UVA just added JUCO guard Tomas Woldentesae. Good luck with that one, Dickie V!

https://247sports.com/college/virgin...ns--131870850/
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Well, considering you couldn't even spell his name right
    Oooh, in-fighting for Cavalier nation.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Well, considering you couldn't even spell his name right
    We’re in enemy territory! I’m not going to make their scouting any easier!

Markell Johnson

Withdrawing from the NBA draft and returning to NCSU.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/24/...or-senior-year
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Sam Hauser just committed to UVA. Will have to sit one to play one (unless he somehow gets a waiver) but that's a good pickup for the Hoos!

Joey to MSU btw

Sam Hauser just committed to UVA. Will have to sit one to play one (unless he somehow gets a waiver) but that's a good pickup for the Hoos!

Joey to MSU btw
    Will Joey have to sit at MSU? I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Will Joey have to sit at MSU? I hope so
    Yes unless he receives a waiver. Both Hausers are expected to sit one year. Sam can play one, Joey can play two.

Yes unless he receives a waiver. Both Hausers are expected to sit one year. Sam can play one, Joey can play two.

There's a possibility that Joey could play three seasons at MSU as he redshirted in '17-'18.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...user-marquette

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW apparently Michigan is in on Seventh Woods, for some reason. Not at all sure what he'd bring to the table beyond filling a scholarship that otherwise wouldn't be filled for a couple years due to Beilein's departure and roster turnover.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

And as the very LAST player to declare his intentions regarding the draft, Mamadi Diakite announced around 11:15pm that he will return for his Sr year at UVA.

Looking like with Diakite and Huff returning we (Virginia) will shift to being very post oriented next season after having been very perimeter oriented in 18-19. Rebuilding or reloading? Still TBD I think, but Diakite returning sure does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    And as the very LAST player to declare his intentions regarding the draft, Mamadi Diakite announced around 11:15pm that he will return for his Sr year at UVA.

Looking like with Diakite and Huff returning we (Virginia) will shift to being very post oriented next season after having been very perimeter oriented in 18-19. Rebuilding or reloading? Still TBD I think, but Diakite returning sure does help.
    That's a big surprise to me. The entire time, I got the vibe that he was looking for any reason to stay in the draft. I think he was getting questionable advice the entire time - he lost 20 pounds after the season ended! - but think that he made the choice that maximizes his NBA chances.

As my slightly older Wahoo friend says, while this is unequivocally a good thing, the full meaning is still up in the air. I still think UVA needs another guard (although I said the same thing last year and followed it with "This Clark kid can't possibly be ready for the ACC.") If nothing else, it's another familiar face to help us remember the magic times.

And UVA still has Braxton Key, right? I was very impressed with his array of offensive skills. Diakite, Huff, and Key all have a versatile offensive skillset that should work in any combo.

Defense is less clear to me--not sure how Huff and Key measure up, and none of the three can eat space (or set screens!) like Jack Salt could. But that's nitpicking--with those three, UVA has one of the best frontcourt rotations in the nation, as far as I'm concerned.

As has been rumored for a while, NC State commit Jalen Lecque will remain in the NBA draft.

Lecque is already 19 and played a fifth year of high school--I'm a little confused as to how, but it involved multiple reclassifications and technically achieving all the credits needed for graduating a year ago.

NC State will still have Markell Johnson and Braxton Beverly in the back court and C.J. Bryce and Devon Daniels on the wing. That should put them solidly in the middle of the ACC, with a chance to contend if the front court develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    And UVA still has Braxton Key, right? I was very impressed with his array of offensive skills. Diakite, Huff, and Key all have a versatile offensive skillset that should work in any combo.

Defense is less clear to me--not sure how Huff and Key measure up, and none of the three can eat space (or set screens!) like Jack Salt could. But that's nitpicking--with those three, UVA has one of the best frontcourt rotations in the nation, as far as I'm concerned.
    Key's defense is actually ahead of his offense, IMO. His 3pt shooting seemed serviceable but kind of streaky/hot&cold. His ballhandling leaves a good bit to be desired as well, considering he's supposed to be a combo forward. Through last year, I'm not really sure he's the guy you want putting the ball on the deck even to just drive to the rim, much less dribbling around in space outside the arc. Now, his skills in both of those departments were not so limited as to think a summer of hard work in those areas (3pt shot and ballhandling) couldn't get him to a more-than-serviceable level. That's what I'm hoping - that he's able to play a role of "Hunter-lite" this season. Playing the 3 spot and the stretch 4 as needed and excelling in both spots. I think he, Diakite, and Clark will all be our minutes leaders by a wide margin, much as Jerome/Guy/Hunter were last year.

Huff is interesting - his natural offensive instincts and his skills make him a no-brainer (IMO) to play as many minutes as he can handle. However, he still needs improvement on core strength and defensive footwork. Those things may limit him in Bennett's eyes. To me, his role is the biggest question mark of the season - will he be a starter and/or consistent major rotation player (18+mpg)? Or will he be used more situationally again and be more in the 8-10ish mpg range? I think our potential is a lot higher come March with Huff as a major force for us, but it could cost us in the regular season to crowbar him into games.

In the end, our season is probably decided by whether or we can get capable backcourt production from anyone besides Clark. There are 2-3 solid candidates (Casey Morsell, Tomas Woldetensae, Kody Stattman), but they're all totally unproven so far.

Huff is interesting - his natural offensive instincts and his skills make him a no-brainer (IMO) to play as many minutes as he can handle. However, he still needs improvement on core strength and defensive footwork. Those things may limit him in Bennett's eyes. To me, his role is the biggest question mark of the season - will he be a starter and/or consistent major rotation player (18+mpg)? Or will he be used more situationally again and be more in the 8-10ish mpg range? I think our potential is a lot higher come March with Huff as a major force for us, but it could cost us in the regular season to crowbar him into games.
    We've already UVA-jacked this enough, but I do want to point out that Huff had shoulder surgery right after the season last year and his offseason conditioning was severely curtailed. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full 20-something offseason with Mike Curtis.

Derryck Thornton to Chestnut Hill

Former Blue Devil and USC Trojan PG Derryck Thornton has announced his grad transfer to Boston College(eligible immediately).

CBS analyst Jon Rothstein projects Derryck to start along with Tabbs, Hamilton, Mitchell and Popovic.
    Last edited by Spanarkel; 06-17-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Former Blue Devil and USC Trojan PG Derryck Thornton has announced his grad transfer to Boston College(eligible immediately).

CBS analyst Jon Rothstein projects Derryck to start along with Tabbs, Hamilton, Mitchell and Popovic.
    Best to him. Except, I mean, against us.