Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joker Movie

Joker Movie

Holy smokes this looks intense (and good!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433...ature=youtu.be

wow....looks like a winner...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This is worth reading if you are interested in some of the background of the movie, and a couple casting notes.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...-joker-so-far/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Or, as The Onion put it, "New Joker trailer introduces iconic villain to same generation of fans".

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm assuming with the October 4 release date, someone has their eyes on Oscars potential. That's the same weekend that A Star is Born was released last year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Let me start with I am sure this will do just fine at the box office.

I get DC trying their whole alternate universe, if the Jared Leto era is over, thank goodness.

Gladiator ruined Joaquin Phoenix for me.
    He is definitely a talented actor, I just don’t enjoy his work all that much.

My only other question- does the world really need another Joker origin story?

I didn’t see any evidence of the 1989 Batman vat of chemicals which was also revisited in Suicide Squad.

I’m an entertainment value movie buff and literally nothing about this trailer excites me.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I get DC trying their whole alternate universe, if the Jared Leto era is over, thank goodness.
    Per the Rotten Tomatoes editorial I linked, it's not. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m an entertainment value movie buff and literally nothing about this trailer excites me.
    Ditto... everyone is saying it looks like the Joker as played by Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver which would be kinda cool, I guess, but I just saw a depressed loner in that trailer. I want my Joker to be menacing, strong, charismatic, and devious, not just some crazy guy loner who has a bad relationship with his mother and wears clown makeup.

I'm bothered that the trailer really told us nothing about the story or where it was going to go. That tells me that the story may not be all that interesting. Folks who are talking about Oscars... whew, let's slow our role until we see a bit more of this movie. Joaquin Phoenix has done amazing work but he has also done his share of unwatchable.

-Jason "early October release gives me some pause... Warner has 1 release from Nov 15th - Jan 17th... if this was great, they would give it a TGiving or Xmas slot" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Bat-nerd in me has a philosophical problem with this. The Joker doesn't have an origin. The character is stronger when you don't know who he is, where he came from, or why he does what he does. He's Batman's intellectual opposite. Batman is a creature of logic. The Joker is completely illogical. The best movie portrayal is Ledger, in part for that reason.

Yea they go back to the vat of chemicals thing from time to time, but that's best as a possible origin rather than a definitive one. As the Joker has said "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice."

With that said, that trailer looks amazing. Probably sold me on seeing a movie I otherwise wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    The Bat-nerd in me has a philosophical problem with this. The Joker doesn't have an origin. The character is stronger when you don't know who he is, where he came from, or why he does what he does. He's Batman's intellectual opposite. Batman is a creature of logic. The Joker is completely illogical. The best movie portrayal is Ledger, in part for that reason.

Yea they go back to the vat of chemicals thing from time to time, but that's best as a possible origin rather than a definitive one. As the Joker has said "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice."

With that said, that trailer looks amazing. Probably sold me on seeing a movie I otherwise wouldn't.
    Well then, you should appreciate a variety of origin stories and a variety of names.

I find it interesting that the role has taken its toll on multiple actors who have inhabited the character, particularly those who stayed in character off the set or between shots - as if they were reaching to place inside themselves not easily reached nor easily departed. If an actor's goal is to bring "truth" to the role, this character is a particularly disturbing vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ditto... everyone is saying it looks like the Joker as played by Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver which would be kinda cool, I guess, but I just saw a depressed loner in that trailer. I want my Joker to be menacing, strong, charismatic, and devious, not just some crazy guy loner who has a bad relationship with his mother and wears clown makeup.

I'm bothered that the trailer really told us nothing about the story or where it was going to go. That tells me that the story may not be all that interesting. Folks who are talking about Oscars... whew, let's slow our role until we see a bit more of this movie. Joaquin Phoenix has done amazing work but he has also done his share of unwatchable.

-Jason "early October release gives me some pause... Warner has 1 release from Nov 15th - Jan 17th... if this was great, they would give it a TGiving or Xmas slot" Evans
    I could not agree with Jason's post more. Ledger was so good in the Dark Knight that I just don't think I could enjoy this movie based on that trailer. But I hope I'm wrong. I'd love a fantastic Joker movie that gets it right.

Well, they finally did a trailer that makes me really excited about seeing this film.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, they finally did a trailer that makes me really excited about seeing this film.

I am super excited for this and I fully expect to be sorely disappointed come October
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm assuming with the October 4 release date, someone has their eyes on Oscars potential. That's the same weekend that A Star is Born was released last year.
    Does it change your opinion about expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Does it change your opinion about expectations?
    It certainly makes me more excited to see this film. I am getting a better sense of the plot from this trailer and it seems interesting. I'm still skeptical that it will be an Oscar contender and my concerns over the release date remain.

I remain more excited about Rambo Last Blood than Joker, if that is any indication.

I stated early on that I figured the date was a foretelling of someone thinking that something here was awards worthy.
    Of course it may totally suck, but like with last year's release of A Star Is Born, it's the same weekend and that one turned out ok.

The buzz begins.
    Phoenix will be the first cinematic Joker who doesn’t have to worry about a Batman getting all up in his business. And he’s clearly making the most of the opportunity: The new trailer provides a startling showcase for the Inherent Vice star’s wild and crazy turn — just check out that freaky laugh — which is already generating Oscar buzz. Co-written and directed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips, Joker will be unleashed on general audiences on Oct. 4. But the movie, and Phoenix, will be going on a global tour well before that, screening at three separate film festivals — Venice, Toronto and New York — over the next month. Those prestigious playdates certainly suggest that Warner Bros. knows it has something special on its hands with this film...
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164132668.html

Sadly I won't be seeing this one in the theaters; it's not in my GF's wheelhouse, and she's the only one that I care to go to the movies with, but I'll be looking forward to seeing it after it is released to video.

I'm still skeptical that it will be an Oscar contender and my concerns over the release date remain.
    It appears my skepticism was completely wrong. The film screened at the Venice film festival and the reviews are absolutely stunning. Pete Hammond of Deadline, a very respected film critic, says we should start engraving Joaquin Phoenix’s name on the Best Actor trophy right now. Wow...

It appears my skepticism was completely wrong. The film screened at the Venice film festival and the reviews are absolutely stunning. Pete Hammond of Deadline, a very respected film critic, says we should start engraving Joaquin Phoenix’s name on the Best Actor trophy right now. Wow...
    How amazing would it be for two actors to get an Oscar for playing the same character in different movies?

Eight minute standing ovation. Wow.

https://pagesix.com/2019/09/01/joker...-premiere/amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block