Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I saw the par 3 tourney one year and my wife used a final round ticket one year when I was moonlighting out of town. Mrs. dd never played golf but she was smitten by the amazing beauty of the course. Phenomenal layout/design. Even decades ago, we heard/knew of folks who used Masters week to get OOT to avoid the traffic/crowds.
    as you know, there are not "crowds," there are large groups of patrons. Question: when they use the green paint on the course, is it Sherman Williams or Benjamin Moore? Or perhaps Behr, given the proximity of Home Depot World?

No green paint, although they used to color the ponds. Pretty sure they stopped that practice about a decade ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No green paint, although they used to color the ponds. Pretty sure they stopped that practice about a decade ago though.
    Multiple sources, including a former greenskeeper (how apt!) state they still paint the grass where needed...i know it's a gorgeous place, just don't see the need to do things like that...CBS adds the bird noises.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news...oon/ar-AAvuxU9
    Last edited by budwom; 04-04-2019 at 01:10 PM.

I love the Masters. Dogwoods and azaleas in bloom. Fantastic course; much more elevation change than it appears on television. Most years good drama, too. Fewer commercials.

I pretty much love everything about it except for Jim Nance. There's a pretty easy fix for that, though.

As for the odds, I like a guy like Tony Finau at 30:1, but I'm not a gambler.

Final thought: Many of the courses in my area replicate the par 3 tournament on Wednesday, same day it's actually held. They put tee boxes in the fairways on the course that match exactly the length of the par 3's on the Masters par 3 courses. I'll be playing at Riverfront this year with a friend of mine. When the 9 holes is over, we go back to the clubhouse and they have the famous pimento cheese sandwiches and some Arnold Palmers, just to complete the facsimile as much as they can. It's fun! You only have to have a few clubs because the longest hole is, I think, still less than 140 yards.

I've been playing in these "Masters par three" tournaments for the past 4 years or so. Can't wait.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

^ I keep having this recurring dream which involves Nantz and an alligator (already greenish).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Audio files of chirping cardinals ready to go, green paint deployed, we're all set. Notecard Nantz can tell us where everyone's uncle played high school polo. Warm up the mute button!
    Carolina Wrens are very popular in the soundtrack. "Tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle!"

I remember one tournament, I believe it was Shinnecock on Long Island, where the crew that went out to record birds recorded only Common Flickers -- a bit of a drag.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Masters Pool

I am happy to organize a pool for the Masters (and the other majors and possibly Fedex Cup) and will do so in another thread. It creeps up on you - can't believe it's just a week away.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Thursday/Friday groupings have been released. Some fascinating pairings, including:

Sergio-Finau-Stenson
    Reed-Simpson-Hovland(a)
    Fleetwood-Schauffele-Woodland
    Tiger-Rahm-Li
    Rickie-Rory-Cameron Smith
    DJ-DeChambeau-J.Day
    Phil-Rose-JT
    Spieth-Casey-Kopeka
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Folks are starting to wake up and move around in Augusta. Masters Thursday has arrived...wish I was there but it is off to work for me. I'll be following the leaderboard all day.
    Bob Green

Looks like course is playing tough so far. Corey Connors (#84 in world rankings) is 3-under through 17. Among the other players getting some buzz for this tourney:

Fleetwood -2 (7)
    Lieshman -1 (8)
    Rahm -1 (7)
    Finau E (10)
    Woods E (7)
    Fowler +1 (6)
    Rory +1 (6)
    Sergio +2 (10)
    Matsuyama + 2 (9)
    Reed +2 (9)
    Freddy +3 (11)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Masters leaderboard has a neat interactive feature, if you click on the arrow in the circle (under "track" heading) on the right side of the players' names you get virtual shots of their shots. You can also get their playing partners by clicking on the plus by the player's name once you are into the feature.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/index.html

Might be useful if you can't watch...or you're a golf nut into this kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Masters leaderboard has a neat interactive feature, if you click on the arrow in the circle (under "track" heading) on the right side of the players' names you get virtual shots of their shots. You can also get their playing partners by clicking on the plus by the player's name once you are into the feature.

Might be useful if you can't watch...or you're a golf nut into this kinda thing.
    You rang?

Iceman making a huge mess of 13 at the moment.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

The quality of the digital/streaming content on the official Masters website is nothing short of astounding. Click on any player, then on their score on any hole, and you can just watch them play the entire hole in remarkably clear HD. The whole site is built incredibly well, with a surfeit of features that, in my experience, work better than they do on other sites that claim to have such content.
    Say what you will about August National's privilege and exclusivity (and I've said plenty), but they do pour a bunch of cash into making the toonamunt a very pleasant viewing experience. There's a reason that, for me, it's the only golf of the entire year that truly qualifies as appointment viewing.

Spieth bogeys first hole when 2-foot par putt rims out 270 degrees. Why did he not leave the flagstick in? Old school, but don't be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The quality of the digital/streaming content on the official Masters website is nothing short of astounding. Click on any player, then on their score on any hole, and you can just watch them play the entire hole in remarkably clear HD. The whole site is built incredibly well, with a surfeit of features that, in my experience, work better than they do on other sites that claim to have such content.
    Say what you will about August National's privilege and exclusivity (and I've said plenty), but they do pour a bunch of cash into making the toonamunt a very pleasant viewing experience. There's a reason that, for me, it's the only golf of the entire year that truly qualifies as appointment viewing.
    This has been a huge focus of the ANGC the last few years.

No one does golf like they do. Period.

Unless someone turns it on late, it is looking like 2/3rds of the top 25 golfers in the world are going to be at -2 or -3. Ooooh, could be a fun tournament!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Unless someone turns it on late, it is looking like 2/3rds of the top 25 golfers in the world are going to be at -2 or -3. Ooooh, could be a fun tournament!
    Someone is turning it on late. Koepka is a machine.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Better add DeChambeau to the list. Crazy to say, but one could argue he was a touch unlucky not to finish the last three holes in...6! He'll still play them in a combined 8 and finish -6, with a 31 on the back.

Phil went 4 under on a 5 hole stretch on the back, too. Lots of great golf being played late here today.

Jason Day will be headed to an ice bath. He is in obvious pain and struggling to walk after his bad back went out when he picked up one of his children on the practice green before his round started. That's the bad news. The good news is he is -2 after Round 1.
    Bob Green

Phil Mickelson with an impressive 67 (-5) today.
    Bob Green