Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jason Day will be headed to an ice bath. He is in obvious pain and struggling to walk after his bad back went out when he picked up one of his children on the practice green before his round started. That's the bad news. The good news is he is -2 after Round 1.
    I watched a bit at lunch, and thought he wouldn’t be able to continue. But nice score! I hope he can come back and play tomorrow.

Phil Mickelson with an impressive 67 (-5) today.
    Lefty is my rooting interest as he is about the only competitive golfer older than me.

The Cut

Round 2 has started. To play the weekend, a player at the Masters must be within the Top 50 (including ties) in the standings *or* be within 10 shots of the leader. Will be interesting to see how the cut-line plays out.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Who's Gonna Win The Masters?

Quite possibly, the weather. Sunday does not look good!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...ament/70007960
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Zach Johnson just did something we all have done at some point. On a practice swing at the tee, he tipped the ball with his driver (bouncing it off the tee box marker). Apparently, with rules changes, it isn't a penalty if you make contact with no intent to play the ball. I don't think I've EVER seen a pro do that before.

Johnson was a good sport about it. His group (Kuchar and Poulter) and the caddies were stifling back chuckles. So he said "it's okay to laugh about it, that was embarassing."

Crazy. Nice moment of levity.

Johnson then took his actual tee shot and striped it right down the center of the fairway.

Jason Day should play with a bad back more often... he's now 5-under and 1 shot out of the lead.

I expect him to play tomorrow like this:
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

DeChambeau had a nice 2 shot lead... then he bogeyed 9 and doubled 10. Ouch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Don't look now but that Spith dude who was 3-over in his first round an bogeyed the first to go to 4-over today has gone 5-under since then and is at 1-under on the very birdie-friendly par-5 15th.

Meanwhile, there are now 24 players between 2-under and 7-under. Crowded leaderboard.

With Molinari and Day in the clubhouse at -7, the cut-line will be at least +3. It might get down to +2, or (really long shot), maybe even +1 if someone, somehow makes a mad dash to -8 or -9.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

"Audio files of chirping cardinals ready to go, green paint deployed, we're all set." My first task at my new job in 1984 was to assist in teaching a class in Augusta in late Feb. We stayed at the HoInn only a mile from the clubhouse/course. I was in my running prime then and my course was to run around a housing area adjacent to the course far from the main entrance. I was tempted to jump the 3' brick wall and run around the fairways but didn't as to me it was hallowed ground. Once I was stopped from my run by a passing train right adjacent to the course in the housing area. Watching the Masters that year I heard the train in the background during a players backswing . Considered it a part of the piped in bird chirps Maybe not.

Weather delay due to lightning in the area.
    Bob Green

Weather delay due to lightning in the area.
    A bunch of wimps. It wouldn't have stopped Lee Trevino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    A bunch of wimps. It wouldn't have stopped Lee Trevino!
    Or a god-fearing priest...

Stacked leaderboard going into the weekend. 7 of the top 9 are major winners already. Tiger made a late run and is only a shot back. Rahm another back and Phil is 3 back. Should be one heck of a weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold out.

The weekend weather report for Augusta doesn't look good. Thunderstorms in spots on Saturday with heavy thunderstorms forecast for Sunday afternoon:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/au...weather/328218

Local forecast:

https://www.wrdw.com/weather
    Bob Green

This Masters has the makings of a classic. I do not remember this many big name, major winners, at the top of the leader board on a Saturday.

In 1965, watched it, on black and white TV, but don't remember that is was special, but the announcers said yesterday , that in '65 Palmer, Nicklaus , and Player were at the top.

We all know the truth . " it doesn't rain on the golf coarse "

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    This Masters has the makings of a classic. I do not remember this many big name, major winners, at the top of the leader board on a Saturday.

In 1965, watched it, on black and white TV, but don't remember that is was special, but the announcers said yesterday , that in '65 Palmer, Nicklaus , and Player were at the top.

We all know the truth . " it doesn't rain on the golf coarse "
    Yes, those 3 were alone atop the leaderboard on Friday night. And then Nicklaus ran away from everyone with a 64 on Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Masters_Tournament

I expect there will be more drama this weekend.

The weekend weather report for Augusta doesn't look good. Thunderstorms in spots on Saturday with heavy thunderstorms forecast for Sunday afternoon:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/au...weather/328218

Local forecast:

https://www.wrdw.com/weather
    Looks like sure-fire thunderstorms (lightning the key, not the rain) tomorrow starting around 2:00 for the rest of the day.

Will they go off early to get the round in? Can't see how they can possibly play in the afternoon for the TV coverage, but it's not like they play in prime time anyway. Golf fans (even casual fans with this leaderboard) will tune in no matter what the time. I imagine Sunday morning/early afternoon is still better than Monday.

Lots of low numbers being put up so far today. Someone in the big pack near the top of the leaderboard is gonna get to 12-under, I predict. I expect to have at least 3 players at 10-under or better after today.

Like a lot of people, I learned about Tony Finau when he dislocated his ankle a year ago, popped it back in, and went on to play in and finish top 10 in the Masters. Loved how he closed out last season, and how he has lurked around.

Just saw his post-round interview, with the clubhouse lead.

I love this guy. Who knows what will happen this afternoon and tomorrow, but I would love it if Finau pulls it out.