Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    If Bolden comes back aswell everyone we dont expect to leave.i believe we can be surprisingly good.

You give these guys minutes they will produce.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Best case: We keep Tre, keep Bolden, land Hurt, and secure the SG spot

Tre
    RJ Hampton/Kira Lewis/5* Boogie Ellis (moves up the rankings)/Swole AOC
    Wendell Moore
    Matthew Hurt
    VCJ

JG
    Boogie
    AOC
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    Javin
    Bolden

Worse case: Lose Tre, lose Bolden, don't get anyone else.
    Boogie Ellis
    Twig AOC
    Wendell Moore
    Javin Delaurier
    VCJ

JG
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    JRob

Best case offense is easily better than this years, which had the worst offense since 2012. Defense is unlikely to be better. This team was SPECIAL at m2m.
    Are we after a PG??? If Tre leaves Ellis is a scorer and Goldwire is backup PG. need a PG!! Isn’t Lewis a PG? Or is he a 2 or combo? What about Hampton? Is he more a PG or combo or a shooter?

Thx for help ! I don’t follow as closely as some of you

Add Sean Obi to the list.
    Sean Obi played 27 minutes in a Duke uniform.

Marques Bolden has played 1,195 minutes in a Duke uniform.

But you're right -- it's a ringer.

Let the rosterbation games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Are we after a PG??? If Tre leaves Ellis is a scorer and Goldwire is backup PG. need a PG!! Isn’t Lewis a PG? Or is he a 2 or combo? What about Hampton? Is he more a PG or combo or a shooter?

Thx for help ! I don’t follow as closely as some of you
    He's a great pg that is an awesome scorer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    He's a great pg that is an awesome scorer as well.
    ? Are you referring to Lewis or Hampton or both?

? Are you referring to Lewis or Hampton or both?
    Hampton is a good PG but not a good shooter.

Lewis is a bit of both.

The best case scenario SG next year is AOC putting on weight and being capable of playing elite defense.

1. Swole AOC
    2. Boogie Ellis becoming a 5* in his final year.
    3. RJ Hampton reclassifying and developing a consistent 3
    4. Lewis comes to us and improves on his overall game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would be shocked if next year’s team has Jones AND Hampton.

Also, while technically this year’s team was our worst offensive team since 2012, that is kind of overstating things. We were #7 nationally on offense this year, despite numerous injuries/illnesses to key contributors. That isn’t exactly struggling.

I would not be at all shocked if next year’s squad is worse offensively and defensively than this year’s squad.

I wouldn’t be shocked if next year’s squad is better offensively either. But #7 in the nation - even with the key injuries - is a pretty high bar to top.
    That piece of analytics is highly misleading. We were also 211 (give or take) in half court ppp. That is pretty downright awful. And just from the eyetest itself the offense was bad. It was pretty much just go iso with RJ or Zion. I really wish K would get away from this but he seems to have fallen in love with it for awhile now.

It is is possible that our half court offense will be better but who can score? No way the transition offense will be. And defensively it’s a safe bet we’ll see a huge drop off. I think next season could be one of K’s more mediocre seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    That piece of analytics is highly misleading. We were also 211 (give or take) in half court ppp. That is pretty downright awful. And just from the eyetest itself the offense was bad. It was pretty much just go iso with RJ or Zion. I really wish K would get away from this but he seems to have fallen in love with it for awhile now.

It is is possible that our half court offense will be better but who can score? No way the transition offense will be. And defensively it’s a safe bet we’ll see a huge drop off. I think next season could be one of K’s more mediocre seasons.
    It's tough, though. Those guys are 2 of the best scorers we've seen in a while. Why wouldn't you run the offense through them? Of course you'd like someone else to be able to hit an open shot that one of those guys creates with their offense, but this team was particularly bad at that.

-c

Hampton is a good PG but not a good shooter.

Lewis is a bit of both.

The best case scenario SG next year is AOC putting on weight and being capable of playing elite defense.

1. Swole AOC
    2. Boogie Ellis becoming a 5* in his final year.
    3. RJ Hampton reclassifying and developing a consistent 3
    4. Lewis comes to us and improves on his overall game.
    Thanks

Best PG?
    Tre returns but if not then which is a better true PG? Hampton?

Transition offense is overrated. It works in the regular season against outmatched opponents, but after sweet sixteen, the teams all have elite pgs that would not turn the ball over.

If you want to build a team for off-season, you have to have the following:

1. Consistent defense centered around denying 3pt looks and altering shots around the basket.
    2. Taking care of the ball!
    3. High points per possession, whether through good shooting, or through good rebounding.

Relying on steals and transition points in the NCAA tournament is not a viable strategy beyond the first weekend.

Thanks

Best PG?
    Tre returns but if not then which is a better true PG? Hampton?
    1. Soph Tre
    2. RJ Hampton
    3. Lewis

I think next season could be one of K’s more mediocre seasons.
    Let's face it -- if someone were to go back and check, you probably predicted the same last offseason. Unless you're willing to make a pie wager (or a wager of some kind), your predictions are just noise. Get some "skin in the game."

As for next season, we don't even know who is going to be on the team yet. A mediocre season is a possibility but so is another contending team depending on how the roster shakes out. A wide range of possibilities at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Let's face it -- if someone were to go back and check, you probably predicted the same last offseason. Unless you're willing to make a pie wager (or a wager of some kind), your predictions are just noise. Get some "skin in the game."

As for next season, we don't even know who is going to be on the team yet. A mediocre season is a possibility but so is another contending team depending on how the roster shakes out. A wide range of possibilities at this point.
    I thought this season we'll see a dip, due to Grayson leaving and RJ Barrett looking like the only sure shot lottery pick we have coming in. I had in-hindsight valid doubts about Cam's consistency, and I thought Zion would have trouble adjusting to college.

No one predicted the monster that Zion was going to become until the Canada trip.

Hampton scored 50 points in a game earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    It would be great to have an use two competent guards, one to run the point and the other a combo guard with point capabilities. If Tre stays, he should work very hard to improve his shooting from deep. We will have Carey, who will be a force inside and can hit from a distance. Moore is around 6'6" from what I hear and is a scorer. Wells may take some time to acclimatize to Div 1 ball, we shall see.
    That first bolded sentence describes Tre and RJ, no? You did see that we beat VaTech by largely running the offense thru RJ and his side ball screens. Tre was the PG this season but RJ playmade (playmaked?) a lot this season, arguably too much at times. RJ was a combo guard for us.

As for next season, Wendell is more than just a scorer. From what I've seen, he could also be a secondary playmaker but definitely should not be the primary PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Mix in Goldwire, hopefully a stronger O'Connell, Baker, DeLauier and Bolden and we should have the experience to go with the new talent. Getting Hurt would be icing on the cake. He is a smooth 6'9" scorer who would make us more of a threat.
    Given the lack of shooting the past two seasons, I am most definitely not treating Hurt as just icing on the cake. Neither is Duke's staff.

Expanding on this a bit. Let's say Mr. 94% Accurate on the Crystal Ball Evan Daniels is correct about Matthew Hurt signing with Duke.

It just comes down to PG then.

If it's sophomore Tre Jones, I would make Duke preseason #1. Note that my preseason #1 from last offseason was UVA, who is in the Final Four and the favorite to win it all.

If it's RJ Hampton or Kira Lewis, I would make Duke top 5.

If we can't land one of our 3 PG possibilities, *then* I'll be worried about mediocre seasons.

Expanding on this a bit. Let's say Mr. 94% Accurate on the Crystal Ball Evan Daniels is correct about Matthew Hurt signing with Duke.

It just comes down to PG then.

If it's sophomore Tre Jones, I would make Duke preseason #1. Note that my preseason #1 from last offseason was UVA, who is in the Final Four and the favorite to win it all.

If it's RJ Hampton or Kira Lewis, I would make Duke top 5.

If we can't land one of our 3 PG possibilities, *then* I'll be worried about mediocre seasons.
    Huge ifs, but if Tre stays, Duke gets Hurt, and there aren't any surprising departures, I REALLY like that team.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    What on earth is this garbage? Can you name a single time a should-be senior who plays major minutes for a blue-blood transferred or left to go play in Europe?
    JP Tokoto joins the list as well to go along with Pocius and Randolph. Technically, Tokoto was drafted (58th), but has never played in the NBA and was never likely to do so.

Trevor Lacey left what could have been a solid NC St team

Again, it is rare, and the reasons for it differ from player to player. But it does occasionally happen that a guy leaves a year of eligibility on the table despite not having realistic NBA prospects.

I'm pretty optimistic that at least one of Javin, Marques, AOC, Goldwire, or Jack will make a large jump in the offseason and get a starting position even if we land Hurt and keep Tre. We're past due for a returning player to make a big leap.