Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Canned at midnight of a holiday weekend after the release of the Mueller report. Wow. Talk about trying to bury the news. I wonder what really went on to warrant such an attempt to make sure no one sees the news.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

However, her attire was freely chosen, so I think that's fair game.
    I don't believe it was freely chosen. It just couldn't be.

There MUST have been some prolonged hostage situation, or the loss of a bet ...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    she meant something to the game at one point. performance wise she was past her prime. if any of the allegations are true, perhaps by decades.
    It really wasn't her fault performance wise. She had the program humming before the scandal...but the highlight the Weinstein report placed on Boxill and WBB doomed a stellar recruiting class and gutted her program. Low performance resulted and she was finally starting to dig out of that hole and had good recruiting lined up for next year.

Of course, this is how UNC treats people that it has no use for. Absolutely disgusted. I know the final years of Yow's career weren't the best but I can't ever imagine NC State canning her because people are supposed to matter, how you treat them matters and as everyone says, it's really about the relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I don't believe it was freely chosen. It just couldn't be.

There MUST have been some prolonged hostage situation, or the loss of a bet ...
    Stockholm Syndrome.

Somewhere in retirement, FITS is enjoying a cocktail right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Stockholm Syndrome.
    Possibly.

Check out the stylish lady in this Stockholm video. Hatchellesque?

looks like it's official that she's resigned...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Who knows if any of the allegations were accurate? We’ll never know. The UNC administration weighed their options and decided it wasn’t worth going to bat for Hatchell and forced her to resign.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if she had been 47 and consistently winning at a very high level instead of 67 and not.
    This is UNC so I am going to go out on a limb here and say if she was winning at a high level...she would still be the coach this morning. If the Cheats have proven one thing it is that all they value is winning. They are a joke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Will be interesting to see who they target as their new coach. I'm guessing that they had already started looking as the investigation was underway.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It really wasn't her fault performance wise. She had the program humming before the scandal...but the highlight the Weinstein report placed on Boxill and WBB doomed a stellar recruiting class and gutted her program. Low performance resulted and she was finally starting to dig out of that hole and had good recruiting lined up for next year.

Of course, this is how UNC treats people that it has no use for. Absolutely disgusted. I know the final years of Yow's career weren't the best but I can't ever imagine NC State canning her because people are supposed to matter, how you treat them matters and as everyone says, it's really about the relationships.
    humming? not really. they were thoroughly mediocre in the world of women's basketball, and haven't been relevant since the mid 2000's, several years before the scandal broke.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Will be interesting to see who they target as their new coach. I'm guessing that they had already started looking as the investigation was underway.
    My opinion are typically unsupported by factual detail, but I imagine that AD's talk to headhunters all the time, exchanging gossip, speculating on what-ifs, comparing notes on salaries, etc. Bubba probably knows who will be on his short list already.

Just read the report and came STRAIGHT here to see what transgression the men's basketball team had done to get the women's basketball coach fired.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Too bad they never named the court in Carmichael after Hatchell. Would have been fun to see them get out the sanders.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UNC will almost certainly hire a better coach. It would be hard to do worse than Hatchell. If UNC starts really beating up on Duke in women’s BB, would that finally induce Duke to make a change?

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    My initial post was to respond to the poster who said that at no point were Duke and UNC a threat to UConn and Tennessee. You turned this into a personal attack, claiming -- falsely, I might add -- that I have "have blatantly mis-stated or distorted facts." I will respond to your post, correcting your errors, and presenting evidence to demonstrate that Duke WAS a threat to UConn and Tennessee during this time (while disproving your unwarranted assumptions and showing you the incomplete nature of your research).

First, let me respond to your post about what is not true to tell you that you are incorrect. Goestenkors was 3-0, not 3-1, against the Parker/Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike class. The fourth game played was in 2008, when McCallie was the head coach (which Tennessee one). Think that mattered?

Second, Parker redshirted that year (2004-2005), which is why I mentioned the recruiting class. The rankings of those players (per Blue Star):

Code:
    1. Candace Parker
    2. Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood (transferred to MD the year after)
    4. Alexis Hornbuckle
    5. Alex Fuller
    16. Nicky Anosike
    Think that mattered?

Also on the team: Former #1 recruit (who was a senior) Shyra Ely; former top-two recruit Tye'Sha Fluker (who was a junior); and former top-ten recruit Shanna Zolman (who was a junior). Think that mattered?

TN made the Final Four that year and was a very good team. Duke became only the seventh team in 17 years to beat the Lady Vols in Thompson-Boling Arena. Duke's 04-05 had nine healthy and eligible/available players for the season, 3 of whom were freshmen. In fact, at the time, the Lady Vols had lost only 14 times at home since the arena opened in 1987.

And then Duke beat them the Lady Vols AGAIN in Thompson-Boling Arena in 2006-07 (with Parker as a redshirt sophomore and Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike as juniors). TN was a great team that year and would win the 2007 national title. Think that mattered?

As far as Goestenkors going 2-1 against UConn in her last seven seasons, you took issue with the 2005-2006 UConn team, claiming it was "the only time in the last 20 years when UConn was ranked below #3 when Duke played them." First, while that is true, it also ignores the fact that the team had Ann Strother and Barbara Turner as seniors (both of whom were top 10 players in HS and team leaders by then), along with several other highly ranked/regarded players. Did I say it was UConn's best team? No. But UConn was a #2 seed in the NCAAT, and the game was played in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

More importantly, your post ignored the fact that the other win against UConn came during Diana Taurasi's senior year in Hartford, CT (where UConn played half of its home games at the time). UConn was the defending national champion and would later win that year's (2004) title). But completely absent from your post is any discussion of this win and the magnitude thereof. Think that mattered?

In addition, during this time, Duke started to win recruiting battles with both Tennessee and UConn (even though it lost the battles for Parker and Hornbuckle at TN in 2004 and Mel Thomas (2004) at UConn and later had Brittany Hunter (HS 2003) transfer from Duke to UConn after her freshman year).
    • Top 10 HS player, Parade AA, and WBCA All-America Wynter Whitley? Picked Duke over both UConn and Tennessee
    • Top 10 HS player and MCDAA Mistie Bass? Picked Duke over Tennessee
    • Top 15 HS player and MCDAA Chante Black? Picked Duke over UConn
    • Top 5 HS player and MCDAA Abby Waner? Picked Duke over UConn
    • (Note: MCDAA for girls did not start until the 2002 recruiting class)

And this does not include players like Alana Beard (whose dream school was TN, but she did not receive an offer) and other top ten players (Monique Currie, Iciss Tillis, Alison Bales, etc.) and top fifteen players (Wanisha Smith, etc.) whose recruiting lists and final schools I was unable to specifically recall (and did not pull up after a few searches of my archives and a few Google searches).

Duke emerged as a massive threat to UConn and Tennessee from 2001-2007. Anything who says/think otherwise is revisiting history from an unsourced text.
    Thanks for this data-driven post and also corroboration by uh_no. The person you responded to is a notorious McCallie homer, so yeah. Anyway, Hatchell losing her job is significant because unless UNC really screws up this hire, it likely leaves our WBB candidate list one shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    humming? not really. they were thoroughly mediocre in the world of women's basketball, and haven't been relevant since the mid 2000's, several years before the scandal broke.
    Well, there was this class...FOUR players in the top 15-25 in the country...all of them either never made it or left as freshmen because of the scandal.

https://goheels.com/news/2012/11/14/205737775.aspx

So, maybe humming along is the wrong word...but things were certainly looked promising.

Well, there was this class...FOUR players in the top 15-25 in the country...all of them either never made it or left as freshmen because of the scandal.

So, maybe humming along is the wrong word...but things were certainly looked promising.
    And despite the scandal, and those defections, she had them back in the tourney again, along with a win over the #1 team in the country this year. That's nothing to complain about.*

* unless you are one of the four players that announced you were transferring after this season ended.

DeShields left after her first season. Washington, Gray, and Mavunga left after their sophomore years.

It was not just because of the scandal that they left. This class was signed by AC (and former Duke AC) Trisha Stafford-Odom as the lead recruiter. The 2013 class signed in the fall of 2012 (November). After the 2012-13 season and before the vaunted 2013 class started as freshmen for the 2013-14 season, Stafford-Odom left UNC to take the head job at Concordia. She was primarily responsible for signing such an incredible class. The fact that she left also significantly contributed to the reasons why the players transferred.

Scathing article here...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...co/EK9Up5ZO5n

Yet another black eye for that place.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    DeShields left after her first season. Washington, Gray, and Mavunga left after their sophomore years.

It was not just because of the scandal that they left. This class was signed by AC (and former Duke AC) Trisha Stafford-Odom as the lead recruiter. The 2013 class signed in the fall of 2012 (November). After the 2012-13 season and before the vaunted 2013 class started as freshmen for the 2013-14 season, Stafford-Odom left UNC to take the head job at Concordia. She was primarily responsible for signing such an incredible class. The fact that she left also significantly contributed to the reasons why the players transferred.
    Thanks for the background. That could have been a program changing class for the Cheaters.