Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd buy that way before any charges against racism. From an outsider's point of view, looking at her players and her coaching hires, I'd be hard pressed to believe that she is racist. Horrible taste in fashion, but she seems to be respectful of those around her and the noose remark would be a hard one to believe. Her lawyer's reasoning makes far more sense.
    I would submit that her history of outfits is conclusive proof that she either does not see color, or cares not one whit about color.

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    https://apple.news/Aa3NYo5hlRAGlUSYoPtZkhg

Today’s article from the Washington Post. Alleges that Coach Hatchell used racially insensitive language and pushed players to play through injuries.
    Not defending her or condemning her.
    How many of us have rolled a ankle probably had a concussion.
    Then your coach grabs you by the facemask tells you to suck it up.
    Get into the fight.

Maybe shes old school?

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Not defending her or condemning her.
    How many of us have rolled a ankle probably had a concussion.
    Then your coach grabs you by the facemask tells you to suck it up.
    Get into the fight.

Maybe shes old school?
    people ignoring concussions have no place in sports anymore. if that's old school, then it's time to bring in the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    I wouldn't put down Coach G's record against UCONN and Tennessee in the slightest.

Besides the 2006 Elite Eight victory, Duke beat #1 and undefeated UCONN with Diana Taurasi, in Hartford in 2004, coming back from 17 down to win 68-67. It stopped UCONN’s 69-game home winning streak, an NCAA record they shared with Tennessee. When Jess Foley hit her winning 3 at the buzzer, the place fell totally silent (like the Dean Dome in 2012), except for the 100 or so Duke fans among the 16,000. I can personally vouch for that. http://www.espn.com/ncw/recap?gameId=240030041

And, of course, Coach G’s 1999 team stopped Tennessee’s attempt to win for four straight NCAA championships, beating #2 ranked Tennessee, with two time AP Player of the Year Chamique Holdsclaw (holding her to 2 of 18) and Tamika Catchings, at the Elite Eight in 1999.
    Not my point. G's record doesn't need embellishment. Just be honest.

Maybe shes old school?
    The world has changed. Either change with it, or retire. It's the same thing a lot of football coaches had to adapt to with regards to summer/in the heat workouts. Stopping to let players cool off/hydrate is not a sign of weakness or something to yell at them to suck it up...it's keeping them alive and healthy. Even then some coaches and schools didn't get it...I'm looking at you Maryland.

Let's face it, the only thing a lot of these kids are getting for their blood sweat and tears is a free education and at Carolina they don't even get that. There is no justification to ask kids to put their long term health at risk to play a game. That includes a doctor benching a player who is willing to "gut it out" at risk to their health. The adults in charge have got to make the hard decisions to look after the long term health of their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    people ignoring concussions have no place in sports anymore. if that's old school, then it's time to bring in the new.
    That's true .
    Was more or less trying to convey that she may be of the oldschool approach of tuff love.
    Which a lot of coaches do not do anymore.they baby today's youth.
    Personally I'd rather loose every game
    Than watch a coach kiss a players butt.
    Ofcourse this is all speculative.

Maybe shes old school?
    Time wounds all Heels.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy_the_cat View Post
    Last I looked, Duke WBB hasn't got a natty to its credit. Of course, neither program has ever kept Tennessee or UConn up worrying at night.
    Others have been debating the second sentence of this post. But I *really* take issue with the first sentence. The overlap of programs that are "powers" and programs that have national championships is significant but not absolute. The Duke WBB program that G left was a power. Duke MBB in 1990 was a power.

I’ve never had a conversation with Hatchell, but given the way the rest of that university operates it’s not hard at all for me to envision one of their coaches making racist comments. They are literally paying millions of dollars to build a monument to a confederate soldier who bragged about whipping a black woman, after the previous statue was torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Others have been debating the second sentence of this post. But I *really* take issue with the first sentence. The overlap of programs that are "powers" and programs that have national championships is significant but not absolute. The Duke WBB program that G left was a power. Duke MBB in 1990 was a power.
    UVA now is a power.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not my point. G's record doesn't need embellishment. Just be honest.
    Didn't really have much knowledge or memory before this thread so I went and researched Coach G's record at Duke -- it's very impressive. It's too bad that she left for Texas, she could have stayed at Duke and possibly been like Coach K (or Geno or Pat Summit at their own schools) and ended up with a true dynastic program

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’ve never had a conversation with Hatchell, but given the way the rest of that university operates it’s not hard at all for me to envision one of their coaches making racist comments. They are literally paying millions of dollars to build a monument to a confederate soldier who bragged about whipping a black woman, after the previous statue was torn down.
    Dude, come on... this is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The tone and the stereotyping and the assumptions that I infer from this post makes me so uncomfortable. I remember my first thoughts as the Duke lacrosse case started.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The world has changed. Either change with it, or retire. It's the same thing a lot of football coaches had to adapt to with regards to summer/in the heat workouts. Stopping to let players cool off/hydrate is not a sign of weakness or something to yell at them to suck it up...it's keeping them alive and healthy. Even then some coaches and schools didn't get it...I'm looking at you Maryland.

Let's face it, the only thing a lot of these kids are getting for their blood sweat and tears is a free education and at Carolina they don't even get that. There is no justification to ask kids to put their long term health at risk to play a game. That includes a doctor benching a player who is willing to "gut it out" at risk to their health. The adults in charge have got to make the hard decisions to look after the long term health of their kids.
    Amen and I totally agree with you! It is outrageous for "adults" to be putting "kids'" health at risk, to satisfy some macho (and that applies to both male and female coaches) impulse and overly competitive attitude.

I'd go with option B

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Sylvia, you are 67 and you don't seem to be keeping up with the times.

It is time to go out with the little dignity you have left.

Look at the bright side. You can travel. Update your wardrobe. Catch up on your reading. Update your wardrobe some more... The possibilities are literally endless.

I had a brain burp when I saw the thread title "Hatchell in trouble" because my first thought was about the Eddie Haskell character from Leave it to Beaver.

Though there are some similarities when reading the wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Haskell

...his shallow and sneaky character. Typically, Eddie would greet his friends' parents with overdone good manners and often a compliment such as, "That's a lovely dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver." However, when no parents were around, Eddie was always up to no good—either conniving with his friends or picking on Wally's younger brother, Beaver. Eddie's duplicity was also exemplified in his efforts to curry favor by trying to talk to adults at the level he thought they would respect, such as referring to their children as Theodore (Beaver's much-disliked given name) and Wallace, even though the parents called them Beaver and Wally.

An untrustworthy wise guy, Eddie could be relied upon to concoct and instigate schemes with his friends, schemes for which they would be in the position of blame if (and frequently when) they were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Sylvia, you are 67 and you don't seem to be keeping up with the times.

It is time to go out with the little dignity you have left.

Look at the bright side. You can travel. Update your wardrobe. Catch up on your reading. Update your wardrobe some more... The possibilities are literally endless.
    For one thing, she definitely should return the Dan Jenkins book and get something else ...

Dan Jenkins YGPH.jpg

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Time wounds all Heels.
    Holy Cr*p I want this t-shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    • During her last decade as head coach at Duke (1997-98 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-2 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 5-4 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • During her last seven years as head coach at Duke (2000-01 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-1 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 4-3 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • Both of Goestenkors's wins against UConn were in the State of Connecticut (2004 in Hartford; 2006 in Bridgeport).
    • Against one of the two best recruiting classes of the 21st century (Tennessee: Candace Parker, Alexis Horbuckle, Alex Fuller, Nicky Anosike), Goestenkors went 3-0, with two wins in Knoxville.
    • In NCAA Tournament games, Goestenkors went 1-0 against UConn/Geno Auriemma (winning in the 2006 Elite Eight) and 1-1 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt (winning in the 1999 Elite Eight; losing in the 2003 Final Four).
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I barely know where to start. Some of this seemed too good to be true. Well, let's begin at the beginning, where you start your post with "Not true." I have to wipe the irony off my computer.

G was 3-1 against that Tennessee class. Oh, hold it, one of those wins was by 2 points in the year that Parker red-shirted. Think that mattered?

As far as the NCAA win against UConn, that is the only time in the last 20 years when UConn was ranked below #3 when Duke played them (they were #8, Duke was #4, and it was a 2 point win in OT).

At this point, I stopped researching. I know you have your agenda, but this is the 2nd post in the last few days where you have blatantly mis-stated or distorted facts.

For the record, I am not pro-Coach P. I am anti-BS.
    My initial post was to respond to the poster who said that at no point were Duke and UNC a threat to UConn and Tennessee. You turned this into a personal attack, claiming -- falsely, I might add -- that I have "have blatantly mis-stated or distorted facts." I will respond to your post, correcting your errors, and presenting evidence to demonstrate that Duke WAS a threat to UConn and Tennessee during this time (while disproving your unwarranted assumptions and showing you the incomplete nature of your research).

First, let me respond to your post about what is not true to tell you that you are incorrect. Goestenkors was 3-0, not 3-1, against the Parker/Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike class. The fourth game played was in 2008, when McCallie was the head coach (which Tennessee one). Think that mattered?

Second, Parker redshirted that year (2004-2005), which is why I mentioned the recruiting class. The rankings of those players (per Blue Star):

Code:
    1. Candace Parker
    2. Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood (transferred to MD the year after)
    4. Alexis Hornbuckle
    5. Alex Fuller
    16. Nicky Anosike
    Think that mattered?

Also on the team: Former #1 recruit (who was a senior) Shyra Ely; former top-two recruit Tye'Sha Fluker (who was a junior); and former top-ten recruit Shanna Zolman (who was a junior). Think that mattered?

TN made the Final Four that year and was a very good team. Duke became only the seventh team in 17 years to beat the Lady Vols in Thompson-Boling Arena. Duke's 04-05 had nine healthy and eligible/available players for the season, 3 of whom were freshmen. In fact, at the time, the Lady Vols had lost only 14 times at home since the arena opened in 1987.

And then Duke beat them the Lady Vols AGAIN in Thompson-Boling Arena in 2006-07 (with Parker as a redshirt sophomore and Hornbuckle/Fuller/Anosike as juniors). TN was a great team that year and would win the 2007 national title. Think that mattered?

As far as Goestenkors going 2-1 against UConn in her last seven seasons, you took issue with the 2005-2006 UConn team, claiming it was "the only time in the last 20 years when UConn was ranked below #3 when Duke played them." First, while that is true, it also ignores the fact that the team had Ann Strother and Barbara Turner as seniors (both of whom were top 10 players in HS and team leaders by then), along with several other highly ranked/regarded players. Did I say it was UConn's best team? No. But UConn was a #2 seed in the NCAAT, and the game was played in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

More importantly, your post ignored the fact that the other win against UConn came during Diana Taurasi's senior year in Hartford, CT (where UConn played half of its home games at the time). UConn was the defending national champion and would later win that year's (2004) title). But completely absent from your post is any discussion of this win and the magnitude thereof. Think that mattered?

In addition, during this time, Duke started to win recruiting battles with both Tennessee and UConn (even though it lost the battles for Parker and Hornbuckle at TN in 2004 and Mel Thomas (2004) at UConn and later had Brittany Hunter (HS 2003) transfer from Duke to UConn after her freshman year).
    • Top 10 HS player, Parade AA, and WBCA All-America Wynter Whitley? Picked Duke over both UConn and Tennessee
    • Top 10 HS player and MCDAA Mistie Bass? Picked Duke over Tennessee
    • Top 15 HS player and MCDAA Chante Black? Picked Duke over UConn
    • Top 5 HS player and MCDAA Abby Waner? Picked Duke over UConn
    • (Note: MCDAA for girls did not start until the 2002 recruiting class)

And this does not include players like Alana Beard (whose dream school was TN, but she did not receive an offer) and other top ten players (Monique Currie, Iciss Tillis, Alison Bales, etc.) and top fifteen players (Wanisha Smith, etc.) whose recruiting lists and final schools I was unable to specifically recall (and did not pull up after a few searches of my archives and a few Google searches).

Duke emerged as a massive threat to UConn and Tennessee from 2001-2007. Anything who says/think otherwise is revisiting history from an unsourced text.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Duke emerged as a massive threat to UConn and Tennessee from 2001-2007. Anything who says/think otherwise is revisiting history from an unsourced text.
    As someone who grew up in connecticut and is and was a huge uconn women's fan, this is absolutely correct. you don't have the kind of spat they did over visiting fan seating for teams that aren't threats.
    April 1