Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    3 things. Don't you actually have to be a giant first? They are more of a tallest midget historically. That goes for WBB as well.
    They might be a tall midget, but once upon a time Mac Brown had them on the verge of something very good at unc. Lots of us old-timers were relieved to see him leave for Texas. I'm hoping he's unable to conjure up anything like it again.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I missed the part where he complained about the ability. As opposed to certain women's basketball coaches in the triangle area, Geno has been plenty respectful of players who have transferred from his program.

For people who are too lazy to read the article, here's the actual quote:

Most of the context was him complaining that other COACHES are too soft because they're afraid of what the media will think, when all that matters is whether your players respond. That's why Izzo was not over the line, despite media outrage...because his players responded and DIDN'T give up. A good coach knows where that line is.

Apparently guys like geno and Izzo do, and hatchell and McCallie don't.
    Or, they do the same thing, and the women won't put up with it as readily as the men.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Duke's not a sleeping giant. It's a fallen power that can be restored with the proper leadership.

Last I looked, Duke WBB hasn't got a natty to its credit. Of course, neither program has ever kept Tennessee or UConn up worrying at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of whining from Geno to me. Complaining that players have the ability transfer if they don't like the coaching they're getting? What a ridiculous complaint.
    Not at all what I got from the article. Geno is one of the very few coaches who doesn't give a whit about transfers. He just plugs another top-20 player in.

Edit: I see uh no beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not at all what I got from the article. Geno is one of the very few coaches who doesn't give a whit about transfers. He just plugs another top-20 player in.

Edit: I see uh no beat me to it.
    He seemed to care enough about transfers to take Azura Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    He seemed to care enough about transfers to take Azura Stevens.
    we're all talking about transfers out, not in.

I missed the part where he complained about the ability. As opposed to certain women's basketball coaches in the triangle area, Geno has been plenty respectful of players who have transferred from his program.

For people who are too lazy to read the article, here's the actual quote:
    That's not the quote I was referring to. It's this one:

"Yet the players get off scot-free in everything. They can do whatever they want. They don't like something you say to them, they transfer. Coaches, they have to coach with one hand behind their back. Why? Because some people have abused the role of a coach."

Coaches have A LOT more power than players. And I'm not saying they shouldn't – but he's framing things as if players have all the power in the player-coach relationship, and that's whiny nonsense.

we're all talking about transfers out, not in.
    Ah. Never mind. The whit got in my eyes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ahhhhhhhseeeeeeeeeya!

WRAL News has learned that sophomore Jocelyn Jones and juniors Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker and walk-on Kennedy Boyd have submitted their names to transfer. Any or all of those players could change her mind, according to the NCAA transfer process.
    If they do give Sylvia the hatchet, the new coach is going to have some serious work cut out for them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ahhhhhhhseeeeeeeeeya!

If they do give Sylvia the hatchet, the new coach is going to have some serious work cut out for them.
    Through business, I know the mom of one of these girls. When the decision was made a few years ago, she wistfully told me she had wanted her to go to Duke. I think we were in the final 2 or 3.

Do basketball transfers happen between Duke and uNC? Of course, she'd have to start over as a freshman. I can't imagine we'd allow any transfer credits from that place.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ahhhhhhhseeeeeeeeeya!

Karma falls again (deservedly so) on the WBB team yet not MBB, FB, WS and/or baseball, the other cheating sports at the "University" of Numerous Cheaters. Sigh.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy_the_cat View Post
    Last I looked, Duke WBB hasn't got a natty to its credit. Of course, neither program has ever kept Tennessee or UConn up worrying at night.
    Not true.

• During her last decade as head coach at Duke (1997-98 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-2 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 5-4 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • During her last seven years as head coach at Duke (2000-01 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-1 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 4-3 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • Both of Goestenkors's wins against UConn were in the State of Connecticut (2004 in Hartford; 2006 in Bridgeport).
    • Against one of the two best recruiting classes of the 21st century (Tennessee: Candace Parker, Alexis Horbuckle, Alex Fuller, Nicky Anosike), Goestenkors went 3-0, with two wins in Knoxville.
    • In NCAA Tournament games, Goestenkors went 1-0 against UConn/Geno Auriemma (winning in the 2006 Elite Eight) and 1-1 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt (winning in the 1999 Elite Eight; losing in the 2003 Final Four).

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Not true.

• During her last decade as head coach at Duke (1997-98 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-2 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 5-4 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • During her last seven years as head coach at Duke (2000-01 through 2006-07), Gail Goestenkors went 2-1 against UConn/Geno Auriemma and 4-3 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt.
    • Both of Goestenkors's wins against UConn were in the State of Connecticut (2004 in Hartford; 2006 in Bridgeport).
    • Against one of the two best recruiting classes of the 21st century (Tennessee: Candace Parker, Alexis Horbuckle, Alex Fuller, Nicky Anosike), Goestenkors went 3-0, with two wins in Knoxville.
    • In NCAA Tournament games, Goestenkors went 1-0 against UConn/Geno Auriemma (winning in the 2006 Elite Eight) and 1-1 against Tennessee/Pat Summitt (winning in the 1999 Elite Eight; losing in the 2003 Final Four).
    And she got away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    And she got away from us.
    She chose to go for the big bucks and bright lights at Texas. Wonder how that worked out,

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Not true.

I barely know where to start. Some of this seemed too good to be true. Well, let's begin at the beginning, where you start your post with "Not true." I have to wipe the irony off my computer.

G was 3-1 against that Tennessee class. Oh, hold it, one of those wins was by 2 points in the year that Parker red-shirted. Think that mattered?

As far as the NCAA win against UConn, that is the only time in the last 20 years when UConn was ranked below #3 when Duke played them (they were #8, Duke was #4, and it was a 2 point win in OT).

At this point, I stopped researching. I know you have your agenda, but this is the 2nd post in the last few days where you have blatantly mis-stated or distorted facts.

For the record, I am not pro-Coach P. I am anti-BS.

https://apple.news/Aa3NYo5hlRAGlUSYoPtZkhg

Today’s article from the Washington Post. Alleges that Coach Hatchell used racially insensitive language and pushed players to play through injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I barely know where to start. Some of this seemed too good to be true. Well, let's begin at the beginning, where you start your post with "Not true." I have to wipe the irony off my computer.

G was 3-1 against that Tennessee class. Oh, hold it, one of those wins was by 2 points in the year that Parker red-shirted. Think that mattered?

As far as the NCAA win against UConn, that is the only time in the last 20 years when UConn was ranked below #3 when Duke played them (they were #8, Duke was #4, and it was a 2 point win in OT).

At this point, I stopped researching. I know you have your agenda, but this is the 2nd post in the last few days where you have blatantly mis-stated or distorted facts.

For the record, I am not pro-Coach P. I am anti-BS.

I wouldn't put down Coach G's record against UCONN and Tennessee in the slightest.

Besides the 2006 Elite Eight victory, Duke beat #1 and undefeated UCONN with Diana Taurasi, in Hartford in 2004, coming back from 17 down to win 68-67. It stopped UCONN’s 69-game home winning streak, an NCAA record they shared with Tennessee. When Jess Foley hit her winning 3 at the buzzer, the place fell totally silent (like the Dean Dome in 2012), except for the 100 or so Duke fans among the 16,000. I can personally vouch for that. http://www.espn.com/ncw/recap?gameId=240030041

And, of course, Coach G’s 1999 team stopped Tennessee’s attempt to win for four straight NCAA championships, beating #2 ranked Tennessee, with two time AP Player of the Year Chamique Holdsclaw (holding her to 2 of 18) and Tamika Catchings, at the Elite Eight in 1999.

Interesting but disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    https://apple.news/Aa3NYo5hlRAGlUSYoPtZkhg

Today’s article from the Washington Post. Alleges that Coach Hatchell used racially insensitive language and pushed players to play through injuries.
    Sylvia's behavior seems really off. They should pay off her contract and send her to the medical center.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Sylvia's behavior seems really off. They should pay off her contract and send her to the medical center.
    The injury stuff is damning.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy_the_cat View Post
    The injury stuff is damning.
    I'd buy that way before any charges against racism. From an outsider's point of view, looking at her players and her coaching hires, I'd be hard pressed to believe that she is racist. Horrible taste in fashion, but she seems to be respectful of those around her and the noose remark would be a hard one to believe. Her lawyer's reasoning makes far more sense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."