Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hatchell in trouble?

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...228692854.html

Investigation of some sort. UNC women's coaches on paid administrative leave after complaints of players.

As much as I'd like to throw stones, let's not forget that our own women's coach faced similar allegations not too long ago and was subject to an internal "evaluation," from which the program has never really recovered.

From the thread title I thought the fashion police had finally caught up Sylvia.

Two thoughts:

1) April Fools

...once that hurdle was passed...

2) Recruits were told they wouldn't have to attend any classes or do any work, now they are upset at having to attend "Arts and Crafts for Elementary School Teachers" and make pine cone turkeys*.

--------------
    * https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...r-classes-ncaa

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    As much as I'd like to throw stones, let's not forget that our own women's coach faced similar allegations not too long ago and was subject to an internal "evaluation," from which the program has never really recovered.
    I don't believe that anyone got suspended at Duke even temporarily. It's the entire coaching staff that's been suspended at UNC. That suggests to me a much more serious situation.

Me thinks Sylvia might be retiring

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    From the thread title I thought the fashion police had finally caught up Sylvia.
    With her - it is a capital offense

Thank you for the first laugh of this day.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I have grander dreams - that the karma police will catch up with all of UNC.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One issue with the article is this one.

DeShields’ departure represented the beginning of an exodus. One year later, the other three members of her signing class – Allisha Gray, Stephanie Mavunga and Jessica Washington – also left. Hatchell missed the 2013-14 season, which was Deshields’ only season at UNC, while undergoing treatment for leukemia. By the time Hatchell returned for the 2014-15 season, her program appeared in turmoil.
    That mass migration was for one huge obvious reason...the Goatettes were about to be slammed by the NCAA as the poster program for Carolina's misdeeds. That writing was all over every locker room wall in Carmichael.

And then they skated. Beyond those three, I always had the impression that Deshields was simply flaky.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, they had the bus all ready and warmed up to throw women's basketball under, and they'd hate to waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    With her - it is a capital offense
    ...and I mean hangin offense....

2) Recruits were told they wouldn't have to attend any classes or do any work, now they are upset at having to attend "Arts and Crafts for Elementary School Teachers" and make pine cone turkeys*.

*Pine cones are hard when it’s easier to just draw your hand. So of course they’re upset.

Reasons the UNC women’s coaching staff might have been suspended:

They took bribes to call rich kids recruited athletes so they could get into UNC.

They offered bribes through shoe companies or boosters to potential recruits and/or their families.

There was use of slurs, humiliation or hazing by staff or players.

There were sexual inappropriate contacts.

But not...
    The players attended fake classes and academic “advisors” arranged their grades.

LOL, Inspector Clouseau must be heading up that bunch. Hercule Poirot would have nabbed her 40 years ago.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I would quibble only to the extent that I think it is the contract extension from which we never recovered.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You are correct in the premise, but my added quibble would be that P's investigation was a symptom of the decline of the program, not the cause of it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I have no inside info

But I wonder about two things

First, if you get to the point that your employer is hiring an outside law firm, perhaps your employer wants to fire you without paying off your contract. Second, and this comes from a minister friend, if you get to the point where the congregation (players in this case)_wants you gone, you should probably leave no matter how wrong they might be.

I can't see this ending in a fashion that makes any party look good.

Third, there is this canard that UNC is a sleeping giant in football. I think that's wrong. If there is a sport that both Duke and UNC are sleeping giants in, it's women's basketball. The moderators can feel free to edit but I think both schools would benefit from new leadership for their women's basketball programs.

Out of curiosity, I looked up how the 2020 recruiting class is shaking out. Sylvia has two early commits in the top 25 already. With this news, will Loyal stay loyal?

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2020

(Next year's class, as with Duke, you have to look outside the top 55 to find the first commit.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Readers, I don’t know if this line is intentional or not, but I gave chris13 positive sporks for it, and humbly suggest you do the same.
    Done. Nice catch. Almost let that line go to waist.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.