Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Last play was good. Just didn't hit FTs. And the open 3 from MSU was a dagger.

I’m sure the MSU coaches and players are happy that Duke didn’t try to beat them with Zion in the last minute. Not sure it would have changed the outcome, but we’re never going to know, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Okay, if you're so certain, I'll pie bet you: Tre Jones will be a back for a sophomore year at Duke.
    I will bet you three pies for your one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey21 View Post
    Special team. Still the best team this year regardless of a one game tournament. No disrespect to the eventual champion, but I still think this team would win any best of 7.

Shame they will have nothing other ACC tournament championship to hang.

A lot of Freshmen mistakes in this game, but ultimately this L falls on K. Zion hardly got the ball down the stretch. Pretty inexcusable coaching that the best college player in pretty much a decade is on your squad. No disrespected intended, but his lack of adjustments coaching left a lot to be desired in this game. RJ hope you take those FT misses with you to the next level, because you're gonna need them in order to become an all star.

Thanks for the memories fellas. Cam and Tre y'all have the talent to become something special at the next level once you put all your time into working on your game. Hope you all succeed beyond your wildest dreams beyond this year.

I know by convention, players are taken out after second foul in the first half. After that conservative move with the best player in college bb, MSU's confidence immediately jumped and Duke was in a fight for the rest of the game. That decision killed the natural flow that Duke had just developed. I am still shaking my head on that decision with a once in a lifetime player.

We lost because of the unforced turnovers. Plain and simple.

But, what a fun ride. I feel like I got hit by a truck right now, but if you are only happy if we win it all, you are missing out.

These guys competed hard all year. And it was a lot of fun.

Once I sang the blues
    Because I had no shoes.
    Then upon the street
    I met a man who had no feet.

Disappointing loss, but almost every other team in America would sell their soul for the chance to lose this far in the post season.

Bad threes and free throws eventually catch up. Sad I will never see Zion in a Duke jersey again.

Fun season.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    We lost because of the unforced turnovers. Plain and simple.

But, what a fun ride. I feel like I got hit by a truck right now, but if you are only happy if we win it all, you are missing out.

These guys competed hard all year. And it was a lot of fun.
    No it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Once I sang the blues
    Because I had no shoes.
    Then upon the street
    I met a man who had no feet.

Disappointing loss, but almost every other team in America would sell their soul for the chance to lose this far in the post season.
    Those squads aren’t of Duke lineage.

Tough ending to a great season

Agree with others that this one feels a little tougher than some of our other tournament losses - primarily because of the amazing journey this team took us all on...
    It was such a pleasure to watch this group of freshmen, particularly of course RJ and Zion.
    RJ was the one constant all season - playing every game and leading us time and time again. One missed FT could never diminish the heart and grit he showed all of us all season long.
    And Zion - what can one say but wow and thank you! We will never see the likes of you again...
    Congrats to MSU - certainly a worthy opponent to have lost to. They made the big shot and deserved the win.
    To Coach and all of our guys - thanks for the incredible ride!
    Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I know by convention, players are taken out after second foul in the first half. After that conservative move with the best player in college bb, MSU's confidence immediately jumped and Duke was in a fight for the rest of the game. That decision killed the natural flow that Duke had just developed. I am still shaking my head on that decision with a once in a lifetime player.
    Disagree. The sad part is that both of Zion's fouls we're ill-advised plays. What is he doing fouling somebody 44 feet from the basket?

My Take

Izzo did a great job.

Duke made too many mistakes.

I picked Duke in my bracket with my heart but my head said we would not win it all.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    We've only had two games that we've lost while fully healthy this year. Here are the combined stats for the last minute of those games:

• RJ takes shots on 8 possessions, makes zero and gets 1 point from a free throw
    • Zion takes 0 shots

RJ is a good player, but the above has to be one of the most disappointing statistics in Duke basketball history – and is going to look more so when Zion eventually Lebrons the NBA.
    I agree. RJ was not my first choice either. He, like Reddish, is NOT a great shooter. In the end, that is what cost us..

Really disappointing end to the season.

MSU played really fast - much faster than I expected. (They’re 193rd in the country in pace) They did the UNC thing - fast break off a made basket. Duke didn’t defend it well.

I thought Tre did a decent job on Winston overall, but MSU kept forcing switches on bigs. Duke never adjusted to that and it burned them a few times.

Delaurier was outstanding. He was one of the main reasons Duke won the battle of the boards.

I thought Zion was great overall, but he looked too amped up in the first half and that translated into bad fouls.

RJ was good, but I felt like Zion should have gotten the ball in the post at tye end.

The defense was great in the last couple minutes- until they left Goins wide open.

The refs “let them play.” I said in the pregame thread that it wasn’t going to be great for Duke if that happened. And it wasn’t. MSU was able to hold and push Zion on entry lobs with no call, and Duke was nowhere near the bonus when they needed to foul to get the ball back. But a few of those entry passes were awful and 17 turnovers are hard to overcome.

This team was good enough to win it all, but a combination of injuries, inexperience and a bad matchup finally did them in. I’d also wager that winning back to back nail biters because the other team blew the final shot led to a little complacency - as if it was predestined.

Just sucks overall. ��

Up 3 late and no more shots for the best college player in decades. Barrett is a great player, but if I’m going to go down, I want it to be with Zion attacking the rim. I thought he unnecessarily passed the ball on the play when RJ bricked a drive. Last year, we didn’t go to Bagley late. Also like last year, we had one late defensive lapse to give up an open 3, and didn’t get away with it.

Super fun team to watch. Played with a lot of heart and joy. Some definite weaknesses and amazing strengths. Heartbreaking end.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    No it wasn't.
    Oh hush. This season was awesome to watch.

If Zion doesn't come back he doesn't care about Duke. *ducks* *ducks again*

What a fun year, we are lucky to have watched these guys at Duke and I hope they all have great careers at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhoman4 View Post

If anyone says bad things about R.J., just remember they are saying these bad things from their couch or from a TV studio.
    R.J. was The Man in the Arena.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes, it was. But no, it wasn't. Who cares. Just another group of players we'll never see again that everyone else rooted against for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was fun. I wouldn't put it in the awesome category. I reserve awesome for natty teams.

This season it felt like the team was always trying to get back to the level of the Kentucky game, trying to measure up to expectations, and it just never could. This team had maybe three dominating performances. Knowing what we know now about Zion's skill level and RJ's potential, it's hard for me to look back on this season and say it was awesome other than the opportunity to witness the miracle that is Zion Williamson.