Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thanks for the update! That's a helluva workout 2-3 times daily!
    You're not kidding. Best of luck with the recovery!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Just a quick update for historical/hysterical purposes.

I graduated from walker to cane today 18 days after surgery. Walking isn't a problem with little to no pain. I am being driven on field trips shopping and dining. My main problem dining out is finding a comfortable chair since the left (replaced) knee still doesn't bend fully. We also tested and I fit into my car both driver and passenger side so I'm looking forward to asking for driving authorization later this week. Apparently two important factors are cane competence and being drug free. I'm good on both; I haven't taken any pain meds since the first week.

My in home physical therapist has added to a growing list of exercises to be done twice daily. They take about 45 minutes per set now. Most are not difficult, but two or three require uncomfortable bending increasing range of motion. Here's a list for you perusal.

Physical therapy, in home exercises:

1. Feet press - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    2. Ankle pumps - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    3. Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    5. Sit to stand - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    6. Straight leg hip rotation - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    8. Gentle leg lengthening - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 5 sec
    9. Knee Fall Outs - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    11. Mini Straight leg raises - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 3 sec
    13. Side to Side Weight Shifts - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    14. Side to Side Weight Shifts w/ Knee lift - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    15. Forward and Back Weight Shifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    16. Forward Weights Shifts with Knee list - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    17. Back Leg Lifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    22. Forward Weight Shifts on Step w/ knee lift - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    25. Wall Lunge with Reach - 3 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 20 sec
    31. Side Stepping at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    32. Walk Forward/Backward at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    33. Strap Assist Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    41. Quad squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    42. Butt squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    I will ask my doctor these things of course when I go in October and my surgery will probably be scheduled for December or January.
    That said, I welcome your thoughts on two potential issues keeping in mind I am only getting a partial (inside right knee).
    I have 9 steps up to my front porch. Only 4 at the back porch but then about a 50 yard walk.
    Do you think I will be able to sit on the steps and move myself up one at a time then have help getting up, or maybe put my arm around some one and hop it?
    I do not have a walk in shower - just two tub shower combos.
    Do you think I will be able to step over? If not I guess I can go to the gym when the time comes.
    Both of these issues are only week one problems I guess, but they weigh on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I will ask my doctor these things of course when I go in October and my surgery will probably be scheduled for December or January.
    That said, I welcome your thoughts on two potential issues keeping in mind I am only getting a partial (inside right knee).
    I have 9 steps up to my front porch. Only 4 at the back porch but then about a 50 yard walk.
    Do you think I will be able to sit on the steps and move myself up one at a time then have help getting up, or maybe put my arm around some one and hop it?
    Before I left the hospital they trained me to go up and down stairs always leading with the good leg going up and leading with the bad leg going down so the bad leg always remained straight. I tested on a 3 step stair with good railings at the hospital, but I live in a ground floor apartment so I have no real world experience with this problem.
    I do not have a walk in shower - just two tub shower combos.
    Do you think I will be able to step over? If not I guess I can go to the gym when the time comes.
    Both of these issues are only week one problems I guess, but they weigh on me.
    For the first two weeks I couldn’t bend my knee enough to step over the lip of the tub so I used a tub transfer bench sitting half in/half out of the tub. I sat on the bench and swiveled both legs into the tub then stood up and lifted the bench out of the tub giving me room to shower. After the shower I moved the bench back into place then sat and swiveled out. Here is a link to the bench i used.
    Note: Some assembly required.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Ad...F565/203399003

I decided to add a list of things I purchased and used to help during my rehab from surgery. Most of these are bathroom items.

Toilet Booster Seat (Long Model)
    The booster seat is a “long” model. Toilets generally come in long and round versions. The Round version is the older version in classic homes.

Linky

Adjustable Toilet Safety Handrail
    The booster seat came with arms, but the maximum distance between the arms was 19 inches. I am wider than 19 inches so I discarded those arms and bought additional (wider) arms. This item seemed a bit flimsy when I installed it, but has held up well. I chose the available suction cup feet with this and like them.

Linky

Tub Transfer Bench
    I’ve mentioned this before.

Linky

Walking Cane
    I bought a walking cane. I was given a standard walker as a part of the rehab process so I didn’t purchase it separately. Graduating from the walker to the cane was a big step forward. The cane I chose was strong (500 lbs) adjustable (33” to 37”) and collapsible.

Linky

And finally here is a picture of the bathroom setup with toilet seat, handrail and tub transfer bench.

bathroom-handicap-setup-sm.jpg

And finally here is a picture of the bathroom setup with toilet seat, handrail and tub transfer bench.

bathroom-handicap-setup-sm.jpg
    Ooh, are we going to do a toilet pic thread?

Camion, have you been tracking your c-reactive protein values throughout your ordeal? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Camion, have you been tracking your c-reactive protein values throughout your ordeal? Just curious.
    I haven't been tracking that.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Before I left the hospital they trained me to go up and down stairs always leading with the good leg going up and leading with the bad leg going down so the bad leg always remained straight. I tested on a 3 step stair with good railings at the hospital, but I live in a ground floor apartment so I have no real world experience with this problem.

For the first two weeks I couldn’t bend my knee enough to step over the lip of the tub so I used a tub transfer bench sitting half in/half out of the tub. I sat on the bench and swiveled both legs into the tub then stood up and lifted the bench out of the tub giving me room to shower. After the shower I moved the bench back into place then sat and swiveled out. Here is a link to the bench i used.
    Note: Some assembly required.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Ad...F565/203399003
    Thank you for this and the links. I was unaware of these things existed. This both eases my mind and makes me realize how daunting this will be at the same time if that makes any sense. I already envy your progress and wish I could fast forward to a month after surgery. I am sure it will be fine though. A partial should have an easier recovery, and I was much better after the meniscus surgery that started all of this than I thought I would be. How long before you walk completely unassisted? I know downgrading to a cane was a big step, and going without will be as well. It will be nice to hear when you are completely mobile without pain too. I guess that takes several months. Oh, and from your description it seems that you work from a straight leg to gradual bending with the range of motion being an indicator of progress - yes? Sorry, I know I will get these answers from my ortho, but it is good to hear from a voice of experience too! Best

Thank you for this and the links. I was unaware of these things existed. This both eases my mind and makes me realize how daunting this will be at the same time if that makes any sense. I already envy your progress and wish I could fast forward to a month after surgery. I am sure it will be fine though. A partial should have an easier recovery, and I was much better after the meniscus surgery that started all of this than I thought I would be. How long before you walk completely unassisted? I know downgrading to a cane was a big step, and going without will be as well. It will be nice to hear when you are completely mobile without pain too. I guess that takes several months. Oh, and from your description it seems that you work from a straight leg to gradual bending with the range of motion being an indicator of progress - yes? Sorry, I know I will get these answers from my ortho, but it is good to hear from a voice of experience too! Best
    I am not quite three weeks post-surgery and pain is generally not an issue. I can walk pain free. That is good.

More good, I talked with the surgeon's office about driving and since my surgery was on the left leg I passed their two criteria for being freed to drive. First, I had to be cane trained and second, I had to be off of pain meds. I'm good on both counts so I am now allowed to drive as of noon today.

There are some issues still to deal with. My leg is still swollen and stiff. I do exercises twice every day to increase strength and flexibility. The leg is improving, but still nowhere nearly as flexible as the "good" leg. I am keeping to my twice daily exercise schedule and though it has several uncomfortable flexing exercises I firmly believe these are necessary for achieving full range of motion and a favorable long term outcome. Another issue is sleeping. I still have trouble finding a comfortable sleeping position in bed. Though this is also improving I still spend the majority of my nights in the recliner which is much more comfortable at this point. Still, it's getting better and I look forward to moving back to the bed for sleep.

Update One Month after Surgery:

Swelling is decreasing slowly and flexibility in the knee is increasing in a similar fashion. I can bend the knee somewhat past 100 degrees at this point. I am walking with a cane, but am using it mostly as a warning to others in the general area. I feel stable walking without the cane.

I am no longer using In-Home Assistance people and I have graduated from in-home to outpatient Physical Therapy. I start PT in the pool on Monday and have 8 sessions scheduled during August.

I am driving wherever/whenever I wish.

I have been released by my surgeon to return to work and I plan to start on Monday. Most of my duties involve messing with computers and going to meetings so there isn't much knee work there. I do wonder about my stamina and if I can last the whole day. Luckily I live 5 minutes from work and can crash at home if I run out of gas. I can also do a good bit of my job by logging in remotely if necessary so we shall see how it goes.

Swelling is decreasing slowly and flexibility in the knee is increasing in a similar fashion. I can bend the knee somewhat past 100 degrees at this point. I am walking with a cane, but am using it mostly as a warning to others in the general area. I feel stable walking without the cane.

I am no longer using In-Home Assistance people and I have graduated from in-home to outpatient Physical Therapy. I start PT in the pool on Monday and have 8 sessions scheduled during August.

I am driving wherever/whenever I wish.

I have been released by my surgeon to return to work and I plan to start on Monday. Most of my duties involve messing with computers and going to meetings so there isn't much knee work there. I do wonder about my stamina and if I can last the whole day. Luckily I live 5 minutes from work and can crash at home if I run out of gas. I can also do a good bit of my job by logging in remotely if necessary so we shall see how it goes.
    Careful that if you run out of gas you are either close to a station or close to home. 😂

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well.

I am walking with a cane, but am using it mostly as a warning to others in the general area.
    So, you're threatening people with the cane? LOL

Glad your recovering is progressing smoothly.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

It’s the exclamation point at the end of, “Stay off my lawn!”

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

You are safe, unless your name is Sumner.

I visited the dentist yesterday and I learned something new.

The kneebone is connected to the jawbone.

When I sat down in the dentist chair I pointed out my newly refurbished knee and they stopped the visit. After consulting with my orthopedic office they informed me of two things. First, I must wait 3 months after surgery before a dental cleaning or other work. Second, I must take a 4 antibiotic pills one hour before my visit to the dentist. Apparently a dental cleaning releases millions (or is it billions) of microbes into my system and that could compromise my newly minted knee.

The result is that my August visit must be postponed until mid-October. But wait, my second knee replacement is scheduled for early October. So..., my August visit to the dentist is now scheduled for mid-January of 2020.

I visited the dentist yesterday and I learned something new.

The kneebone is connected to the jawbone.

When I sat down in the dentist chair I pointed out my newly refurbished knee and they stopped the visit. After consulting with my orthopedic office they informed me of two things. First, I must wait 3 months after surgery before a dental cleaning or other work. Second, I must take a 4 antibiotic pills one hour before my visit to the dentist. Apparently a dental cleaning releases millions (or is it billions) of microbes into my system and that could compromise my newly minted knee.

The result is that my August visit must be postponed until mid-October. But wait, my second knee replacement is scheduled for early October. So..., my August visit to the dentist is now scheduled for mid-January of 2020.
    HOLY MOLARS BATMAN! I did not know that about the dental visit. Good info. Another knee replacement? Hopefully you will look back at 2019 as a tough but successful year.

Update. I have gone stereopatellar.

Yes, I had the second knee replaced this past week. Recovery is progressing in a similar fashion to that with the first surgery. I’m hopeful that within a month I will be about ready to return to work, but don’t know if I will happen. We shall see.

The kneebone is connected to the jawbone. ...Apparently a dental cleaning releases millions (or is it billions) of microbes into my system and that could compromise my newly minted knee...

Yep. Although it might not apply to camion, the same holds true for pedicures. Always pre-treat with antibiotics before any nail process. My knees are three years old as of last week. What a major, albeit challenging, blessing the surgery was. I recently wrote a letter to my surgeon thanking him again. I actually cried with happiness while I wrote it and was shocked when he called me to tell me he had teared up when he read it in return.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Anybody have a staple remover?

knee-staples-before-sm.jpg