Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    I don't agree with the title update. The Zion allegations might be a hoax, but the his other Nike dump might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You have proof of that? Also, I assume you currently live in NC and are hearing our bitter rivals bash Coach K/Zion. Pretty sure Duke fans would do the exact same thing if a similar tweet came out saying Roy paid Little. I don't think the general public believes Duke paid Zion.
    Disagree, I'm still hearing it in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also a shame that the general public will continue to believe that Zion was paid based on the fabricated lie that a criminal tweeted out, and the media will continue to push that narrative because it sells clicks.
    There will be a few but there are many more that hate Duke and K. That will never change. But unless it rises to an NCAA violation or indictment - it will go away.

The allegations relating to Zion Williamson made the NBA nightly news.

I suspect we'll be waiting a long time before the info that this was unfounded makes the national news.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The allegations relating to Zion Williamson made the NBA nightly news.

I suspect we'll be waiting a long time before the info that this was unfounded makes the national news.
    If it were any other player, you would probably be right. But Zion mowing his grass would probably make the news, so this tidbit exonerating him and his family likely will too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it were any other player, you would probably be right. But Zion mowing his grass would probably make the news, so this tidbit exonerating him and his family likely will too.
    Dude! How did you know? https://youtu.be/eJtZKXqDi64

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Dude! How did you know? https://youtu.be/eJtZKXqDi64
    I was going to try to post something clever, but probably can't top that. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You have proof of that? Also, I assume you currently live in NC and are hearing our bitter rivals bash Coach K/Zion. Pretty sure Duke fans would do the exact same thing if a similar tweet came out saying Roy paid Little. I don't think the general public believes Duke paid Zion.
    I don't have "proof" in the sense of a scientific experiment, but I do live in the triangle and interact with many UNC fans and alumni. Most are educated, intelligent people who work high-paying professional jobs. I don't group them with the "walmart" crowd. They ALL believe that Zion was paid by Duke. It's not a matter of them thinking there's strong evidence, or that he was probably paid. The know it for a fact. And they believed this even before the Avenatti allegations came out. More than one person I know has pointed out that Zion's family moved into a very nice home in Durham when Zion arrived, and they see no possible explanation for this other than the school paying for it. They see the FBI wiretaps of the Kansas coach referencing Zion's father as further proof that Zion was paid. And the only possible explanation for Zion committing to Duke when he was considered a lock for Clemson is that Duke wrote the biggest check. When the most recent tweets came out, the general consensus was relief that finally the truth has come out.

Again, these are otherwise reasonable, intelligent people capable of obtaining information and making a thoughtful conclusion. But when it comes to Duke, they will skew whatever data they receive as evidence of Duke's wrongdoing whenever they can. The fact that Avenatti's allegations have been clearly proven to be false simply does not matter. They will believe that it's just Duke trying to cover their tracks. And it's not just the UNC fans, I've also encountered State fans, MSU fans, VT fans, even a Harvard fan who is big into crew and doesn't care about basketball; they all believe it is common knowledge that Duke paid Zion to come. And to be fair, most of them believe that this happens everywhere and that it's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The allegations relating to Zion Williamson made the NBAnightly news.

Did you mean NBC nightly news or does NBA TV have a nightly news program that I've been overlooking?

I don't have "proof" in the sense of a scientific experiment, but I do live in the triangle and interact with many UNC fans and alumni. Most are educated, intelligent people who work high-paying professional jobs. I don't group them with the "walmart" crowd. They ALL believe that Zion was paid by Duke. It's not a matter of them thinking there's strong evidence, or that he was probably paid. The know it for a fact. And they believed this even before the Avenatti allegations came out. More than one person I know has pointed out that Zion's family moved into a very nice home in Durham when Zion arrived, and they see no possible explanation for this other than the school paying for it. They see the FBI wiretaps of the Kansas coach referencing Zion's father as further proof that Zion was paid. And the only possible explanation for Zion committing to Duke when he was considered a lock for Clemson is that Duke wrote the biggest check. When the most recent tweets came out, the general consensus was relief that finally the truth has come out.

Again, these are otherwise reasonable, intelligent people capable of obtaining information and making a thoughtful conclusion. But when it comes to Duke, they will skew whatever data they receive as evidence of Duke's wrongdoing whenever they can. The fact that Avenatti's allegations have been clearly proven to be false simply does not matter. They will believe that it's just Duke trying to cover their tracks. And it's not just the UNC fans, I've also encountered State fans, MSU fans, VT fans, even a Harvard fan who is big into crew and doesn't care about basketball; they all believe it is common knowledge that Duke paid Zion to come. And to be fair, most of them believe that this happens everywhere and that it's not a big deal.
    Something tells me that if Zion had an underwhelming season, they'd be a little less certain, and find something else about which to bloviate.

In other words, their certainty is directly proportional to how awesome he turned out to be, not a function of any evidence uncovered to date.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Something tells me that if Zion had an underwhelming season, they'd be a little less certain, and find something else about which to bloviate.

In other words, their certainty is directly proportional to how awesome he turned out to be, not a function of any evidence uncovered to date.
    Right I was just thinking that. Cus if Zion was paid surely RJ and Cam made more. Unless they somehow structured incentives based on performance into their under the table agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I don't agree with the title update. The Zion allegations might be a hoax, but the his other Nike dump might not be.
    It’s nowhere near “the world is literally ending” enough for you, so this is unsurprising.

I am not sure the articles about the hoax on Avenatti prove the claims against Zion are totally false yet. Avenatti claims he has other evidence, and that Zion and Duke’s silence on the allegations are further proof (in his mind) that there is merit to them. Like everyone, I want to believe this is all junk, and the Deadspin article makes me feel better about it. However, similar to when the stories broke, I’m willing to wait for this to all play out before I completely feel comfortable that this is settled business. Like many, I think of Avenatti as dirt and don’t believe much of what he says. I’m just not ready to declare case closed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I am not sure the articles about the hoax on Avenatti prove the claims against Zion are totally false yet. Avenatti claims he has other evidence, and that Zion and Duke’s silence on the allegations are further proof (in his mind) that there is merit to them. Like everyone, I want to believe this is all junk, and the Deadspin article makes me feel better about it. However, similar to when the stories broke, I’m willing to wait for this to all play out before I completely feel comfortable that this is settled business. Like many, I think of Avenatti as dirt and don’t believe much of what he says. I’m just not ready to declare case closed yet.
    Paying someone to fake documents is good enough for me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Given the circumstances, anyone of any importance will. (Not knocking you in that statement, I get your wariness.) But there is nobody in a court of law, or the phony "court" of the NCAA that would touch any of his claims with a 10 foot pole.
    PS...with the time he is facing, I'd come closer to betting a pie than I ever have that he doesn't bring Duke back up again. Any more proven false statements are simply less time that his jury comes back with a guilty verdict.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So, anyone figure out Avenatti’s cell # yet? He says in the deadspin article it’s easy to find. Love to reach out with my condolences on his indictment!

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Paying someone to fake documents is good enough for me.
    I'd agree with you, Mtn.Devil, but the article says that the hoaxing tipster suckered Avenatti with a fake invoice, not that Avenatti paid the tipster to generate fake evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Given the circumstances, anyone of any importance will. (Not knocking you in that statement, I get your wariness.) But there is nobody in a court of law, or the phony "court" of the NCAA that would touch any of his claims with a 10 foot pole.
    PS...with the time he is facing, I'd come closer to betting a pie than I ever have that he doesn't bring Duke back up again. Any more proven false statements are simply less time that his jury comes back with a guilty verdict.
    I don't believe a single word from Avenatti, but I'm still with Avvocato on this one to some extent - I'm glad the invoice was fake and will believe Duke has done everything it could re: compliance unless shown otherwise, but it doesn't put the matter to bed completely. I agree, CB&B, without more these claims should not go anywhere in court or with the NCAA, but I will only be at ease once this dies down with no bombshells or consequences for Duke. But I also tend toward "expect the best, prepare for the worst," so nobody need follow me under this particular raincloud.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    I'd agree with you, Mtn.Devil, but the article says that the hoaxing tipster suckered Avenatti with a fake invoice, not that Avenatti paid the tipster to generate fake evidence.

I don't believe a single word from Avenatti, but I'm still with Avvocato on this one to some extent - I'm glad the invoice was fake and will believe Duke has done everything it could re: compliance unless shown otherwise, but it doesn't put the matter to bed completely. I agree, CB&B, without more these claims should not go anywhere in court or with the NCAA, but I will only be at ease once this dies down with no bombshells or consequences for Duke. But I also tend toward "expect the best, prepare for the worst," so nobody need follow me under this particular raincloud.
    you and mel brooks, both.
    1200. DDMF.

"fans" and "thoughtful conclusion(s)" are rarely found at the same time. IDK but this sounds a bit blown up. And frankly the UNC fan base's moral compass is so twisted that their frame of reference probably doesn't allow them to believe anyone is doing anything the right way. When the "Carolina way" was realized to mean cheat without accepting responsibility or punishment, even if it costs the university its academic reputation around the world, they lost all ability to accept that other schools might not be cheating. As soon as they accept someone else isn't cheating, they may be faced with the fact that they were.

But since when could Duke outspend Clemson athletics for anything??????????. As rich as the Duke BB program is, it's nothing compared to Clemson FB...and they'd have chipped in the money for Zion. Remember Tree Rollins. (I mean the whole thing is absurd, just pointing out that Duke outspending Clemson ain't happenin)