Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    After the last time Avenatti claimed Zion received money, didn’t he later admit it was all a hoax? Like he made up a tweet about paying Zion as a joke to see if someone would fall for it? Why would we start believing him now?

Why do people give Avenatti any credence at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe give him some Credence Clearwater Revival, but change the lyrics to “... rolling UP the river ...”

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yes. Why does DBR even cover this and put the accusations on the front page?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Maybe give him some Credence Clearwater Revival, but change the lyrics to “... rolling UP the river ...”
    “...take me to the prison”.

Oh, whoops, wrong song.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yep. Feckless.

(trying to see how many different thread can be infiltrated with that word )
    DBR--the place where getting "feckless" into as many threads as possible is a thing.

Or put another way, October can't get here soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    DBR--the place where getting "feckless" into as many threads as possible is a thing.

Or put another way, October can't get here soon enough.
    You must be pining for a minutes discussion supported by pages of stats. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    DBR--the place where getting "feckless" into as many threads as possible is a thing. ...
    Ummm. This is the internet. Feckless is the default setting.

That Zion entertained payments from Nike can so far still be called a hoax; however, the court filings appear to support that Nike actively and knowingly funneled (or attempted to funnel) money to coaches/players - including Zion - and direct them toward particular schools. The internal emails and quotes about rivals, etc are pretty revealing reads.

ESPN

Yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That Zion entertained payments from Nike can so far still be called a hoax; however, the court filings appear to support that Nike actively and knowingly funneled (or attempted to funnel) money to coaches/players - including Zion - and direct them toward particular schools. The internal emails and quotes about rivals, etc are pretty revealing reads.

ESPN

Yahoo
    Those emails are very troubling.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Seems like Nike started paying in 2017 after realizing that Adidas and others were playing dirty.

Still no evidence the Nike money went to Zion.

This is getting a little more media attention than I would've thought. But, it's the down season in sports, and Zion is a big name. They gotta print something.

Pay them all. Let all the teams cheat. After the NCAA failed to punish the CHEATS it proved to me all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Those emails are very troubling.
    “Troubling” in the general sense of not being scrupulous? I haven’t heard anything that worries me about Duke directly.

I have my head in the sand....hope no one makes a sneak attack

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    “Troubling” in the general sense of not being scrupulous? I haven’t heard anything that worries me about Duke directly.
    College basketball in general.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Pay them all. Let all the teams cheat. After the NCAA failed to punish the CHEATS it proved to me all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$. GoDuke!
    As absurd as this sounds … I'm to this point as well. Remove the academic criteria and the need to attend classes and run the programs as an isolated adjunct to the university. Or, if you prefer, institute a very soft set of sports-related courses that are mandated for progression through the program. Given the "students" being brought into major football/basketball programs these days, the current academic criteria is little more than a very big, ugly joke.

Keep in mind that the recent allegations are that Nike paid the parents/guardians of top players while they were in high school in order to attract them the Nike EYBL high school basketball league. They wanted these players under the Nike umbrella and not playing for the equivalent leagues run by Adidas or Under Armor. It has nothing to do with steering players towards Duke or any other college.

If it is proven that Zion accepted money under such a deal (which is an enormous IF at this point especially given the credibility of Avenatti), it would compromise his college eligibility for sure. But it would not indict Duke, unless it could be separately proven that they had something to do with what Nike was doing.

Also note that it is perfectly within NCAA rules for a shoe company to hire the father of a player as a coach of a grassroots team, to allow the coach to build a team around his son, and to funnel money to that parent/coach as part of the team’s budget. It happened with Bagley and countless other players. Many will argue the ethics of such an arrangement, and certainly it appears like the potential for fraud exists, but it is totally within the rules as they currently stand.

My Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    As absurd as this sounds … I'm to this point as well. Remove the academic criteria and the need to attend classes and run the programs as an isolated adjunct to the university. Or, if you prefer, institute a very soft set of sports-related courses that are mandated for progression through the program. Given the "students" being brought into major football/basketball programs these days, the current academic criteria is little more than a very big, ugly joke.
    There are college athletes who are excellent students. I fully understand that many are not and that many are only there for their sport, have no interest in school, and pretty much take joke classes now. But if you say that athletes are in some kind of adjunct role isolated to the university are you denying the legitimate student/athletes a chance for a real college education.

Let players go pro whenever they want. Have real minor leagues in the team sports.

I would guess that golf and tennis are kind of like this now. Plenty of opportunities for 18 year olds to play pro at lower levels without having to go to class.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think that would solve the problem long term...because I believe the interest in such a system would dry up, and the money would stop, and then people could stop worrying about it. Now am I convinced the interest would dry up? No, but I think it likely...of course, that could just be that my interest would vaporize instantly and I am projecting to other fans.