Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Was it Notre Dame in 2002 also? Tough second round game, then the Indiana loss. Close early round games haven't been a great sign, but I'm trying to convince myself this year is different somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Was it Notre Dame in 2002 also? Tough second round game, then the Indiana loss. Close early round games haven't been a great sign, but I'm trying to convince myself this year is different somehow.
    Yeah although Missouri hung around with Duke in 2001 in the round of 32. So maybe the UCF game falls into another subset: Closer than expected games against former K assistant coaches in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Yeah although Missouri hung around with Duke in 2001 in the round of 32. So maybe the UCF game falls into another subset: Closer than expected games against former K assistant coaches in the second round.
    I like the way you think! GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Brey was at Notre Dame at that time. But yeah, good point about Missouri. Let's go with the "former player subset."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Arkansas - I think in 1995 - should have lost both the first and second round games...I don't mean could've lost, I mean they seemed just as beaten as Duke did yesterday at 74-70 with UCF on the break. They won both. They got it together, made it all the way to the title game, where they lost to the last great UCLA team.

(at least I think it was 95. If it was 94, then they won the Title over Tony Lang's manicured hand...)
    Staying with 1995, UCLA had a huge scare down 1 in the round of 32 when Tyus Edny drove the length of the floor for the win and they went on to win the whole thing after that

Quote Originally Posted by jmck214 View Post
    Staying with 1995, UCLA had a huge scare down 1 in the round of 32 when Tyus Edny drove the length of the floor for the win and they went on to win the whole thing after that
    I had forgotten about that....I think Lute Olsen's natty team was the one that was dead to rights versus College of Charleston in round one...only to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I had forgotten about that...I think Lute Olsen's natty team was the one that was dead to rights versus College of Charleston in round one...only to win it all.
    That was actually round two. Arizona went that entire tournament without winning a game by more than 8 points.

Since 1991, we've never made the Final Four after winning our second round game by single digits.

Since 1997, in games following a first or second round win by single digits, we're 2-8.

Blue Devils 1907 squad barely defeated Littleton HS 62 to 1, then squeaked by Trinity Park 38 to 6

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Blue Devils 1907 squad barely defeated Littleton HS 62 to 1, then squeaked by Trinity Park 38 to 6
    Small sample size. Recency bias.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Yep. I remember those games. My dad hitched up the mule to the wagon, and took me along. Billy Packer claimed that Duke was getting all the calls.