Thread: Phil

Phil

Who the heck is Phil, and why do they keep playing these Phil commercials?
    ~rthomas

Because the one about his former days as a "player" is hilarious (the other ones are..."ok").

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Because the one about his former days as a "player" is hilarious (the other ones are..."ok").
    I like the “Freebird” one too.

The commercials are terrible. "Phil" doesn't sell the role.

As much as I dislike Will Ferrell, the commercials need someone like him to sell the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    The commercials are terrible. "Phil" doesn't sell the role.

As much as I dislike Will Ferrell, the commercials need someone like him to sell the theme.
    We'll agree to disagree. I think "Phil" is great and plays the part well.

What I hate about this AT&T campaign (not just these commercials) is that these professionals aren't "okay", they are "terrible". From the tattoo artist to the doctor to the mechanic to the commentator, they are all horrible at their jobs.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    We'll agree to disagree. I think "Phil" is great and plays the part well.

What I hate about this AT&T campaign (not just these commercials) is that these professionals aren't "okay", they are "terrible". From the tattoo artist to the doctor to the mechanic to the commentator, they are all horrible at their jobs.
    Agree. Think Phil does a great job selling the role. One quibble with the “player” commercial: Any announcer who recognizes that stories from his playing days are boring is a GREAT announcer in my book.

I think the "that's our thang" thing...or thang....is contrived and stupid. Especially about the 437th time.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Who the heck is Phil, and why do they keep playing these Phil commercials?
    I mentioned it in another thread, but it's that "keep playing" part that makes the ads not work for me. I think they're generally good at first, but then I have to watch them before every stream starts. Then I have to watch them during the actual commercial breaks. It's just too much, and now I don't like the ads.

1. Yellow is a primary color, not a secondary.

2. When I see a thread titled “Phil,” I think “Lesh”

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    It took me forever to realize where I recognized that guy from... but he was one of the contributors on “The Opposition with Jordan Klepper” during its short (but, especially towards the end, fantastic) run trying to follow up The Daily Show. Guys name is Tim Baltz. Look up his stuff, he’s fantastic... and doing the most with a super weird add campaign IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    It took me forever to realize where I recognized that guy from... but he was one of the contributors on “The Opposition with Jordan Klepper” during its short (but, especially towards the end, fantastic) run trying to follow up The Daily Show. Guys name is Tim Baltz. Look up his stuff, he’s fantastic... and doing the most with a super weird add campaign IMHO.
    Baltz has fantastic comedic timing, not good, great. Some of the material is a little weak, and the commercials are overplayed, but Baltz really makes it work.

The fact that we're sitting here talking about it is evidence that AT&T's campaign is a success, no matter how you feel about it.

Good point, but we also discussed the barbershop quartet Geico ad and that just makes my want to punch somebody's straw hat crown straight through like the olden days at Yale and Princeton.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Watch enough of the Tournament and you're bound to see endless repetitions of some of the same commercials. But I'll bear that burden if it means seeing Duke play 4 more games.

Bring back Lilly. Give her some real sass.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Phil reminds me of a cross between Dickie V and Bilas. A whole lot of talk, but not a whole lot of substance ! Phil will be the top ESPN analyst with a little more "color"

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Bring back Lilly. Give her some real sass.
    I agree - Lilly was great for AT and T. The present commercials not so much.

And while we're bashing commercials, the BudLight commercials are just so lame. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    I agree - Lilly was great for AT and T. The present commercials not so much.

And while we're bashing commercials, the BudLight commercials are just so lame. . . .
    I like corn syrup. I just don’t like mass-produced beer.