Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    When did they measure the rest?
    Not to quibble, "they" (meaning SI) didn't measure any of them...including Tacko...but all of them were measured by someone...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not to quibble, "they" (meaning SI) didn't measure any of them...including Tacko...but all of them were measured by someone...
    But is that with or without shoes? And you know how basketball players pad their height measurements. I bet he's really only around 7' 5".

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They asked Zion about the quote in yesteeday’s Press conference. His response was (paraphrasing) “what else is he supposed to say? That he’s gonna let me dunk all over him? He said what he should say.”

They tried to goad Zion into some retort a few times, but this was his constant response. He did not seem concerned.

I’m doubting that Zion needs help motivating.
    This was the correct response. Tacko's quote was taken from an interview with Andy Katz in response to directly being asked about Zion dunking on him. The rest of the interview he was very complementary of Zion and Duke. Tacko is an unbelievably nice kid who is hard not to rout for. Wish they weren't in our bracket.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    They do some of both: man and 2-3 zone. I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.
    I should have known you would know.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Their claim was in history. That is a lot of measuring done in 1910, 1850, 1727, 1665, 1550, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Will be an interesting matchup.

While I certainly respect Tacko's size, he has real cajones to call out Zion. It's easy to envision the difficulty of cookie-cutter straight-line dunks vs Tacko standing straight up. But in reality how often do those happen? How is Tacko going to deal with a slippery post move or a finish in traffic where our player uses a finishing move? I envision a lot of foul opportunities on that front.

Further, 7'6" 310 is plenty of beef to stop a slippery guard from finishing in the lane. But how is Tacko going to feel when 285 lbs of pure power elevates right into him? Absorbing that and trying to defend that can be just as exhausting as running the floor.

- Chillin
    Yeah, I'm not concerned with Tacko. Historically, Duke seldom loses because of an opposing big man.

If UCF pulls off a shocking upset today, it'll be because one or more of their guards go off.

Cam needs to do a great job on Johnny D's son, Aubrey Dawkins, who seems to be UCF's most efficient scorer and a big wing. And I would slap Tre onto UCF's other perimeter threat, 6'2" BJ Taylor. But I could also see Coach K using Tre to try to pressure UCF's main PG Terrell Allen into turnovers, in which case RJ needs to do the good job on Taylor.

I also look forward to the JGold death lineup doing damage on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They asked Zion about the quote in yesteeday’s Press conference. His response was (paraphrasing) “what else is he supposed to say? That he’s gonna let me dunk all over him? He said what he should say.”

They tried to goad Zion into some retort a few times, but this was his constant response. He did not seem concerned.

I’m doubting that Zion needs help motivating.
    Zion is amazingly good at staying on message and deflecting questions back to compliments on his teammates. I am sure that is partly the young man's personality, and partly a great coaching job by Duke PR and media relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I'm not concerned with Tacko. Historically, Duke seldom loses because of an opposing big man.

If UCF pulls off a shocking upset today, it'll be because one or more of their guards go off.

Cam needs to do a great job on Johnny D's son, Aubrey Dawkins, who seems to be UCF's most efficient scorer and a big wing. And I would slap Tre onto UCF's other perimeter threat, 6'2" BJ Taylor. But I could also see Coach K using Tre to try to pressure UCF's main PG Terrell Allen into turnovers, in which case RJ needs to do the good job on Taylor.

This is an excellent point. All the media attention is on Zion and Tacko, but when I think back on painful losses of the past, it's squirrelly guards who find ways to get to the rack or the foul line that have given me PTSD.

Quote Originally Posted by fathippo View Post
    This was the correct response. Tacko's quote was taken from an interview with Andy Katz in response to directly being asked about Zion dunking on him. The rest of the interview he was very complementary of Zion and Duke. Tacko is an unbelievably nice kid who is hard not to rout for. Wish they weren't in our bracket.
    I hope we rout them.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Pervis Ellison and Danny Manning say hello but I get your point. Still Duke has historically been more outside oriented than this team. It will be interesting to watch this matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Zion is amazingly good at staying on message and deflecting questions back to compliments on his teammates. I am sure that is partly the young man's personality, and partly a great coaching job by Duke PR and media relations.
    Yup, and K would say that he was raised right by his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    Do you suppose Tacko's quotes will be posted in the Duke locker room?
    Yes, but they will posted too high in the locker room for anyone to read.

Ball pressure, force live ball TOs and run. That might negate the slight height advantage UCF has in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.
    If I'm Johnny Dawkins, I'm packing in the zone and daring Duke to beat me with the 3 PT FG.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Pervis Ellison and Danny Manning say hello but I get your point. Still Duke has historically been more outside oriented than this team. It will be interesting to watch this matchup.
    Ha, I did say seldom, not never.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Their claim was in history. That is a lot of measuring done in 1910, 1850, 1727, 1665, 1550, etc.
    Interesting choice of years. I would look more in recent times myself, since average human height has increased over the years. Average height of those measured. Many have gone unmeasured. So who really knows?

Also, the burrito is a tougher opponent than the taco. Just saying. No disrespect to the taco.

This game has me nervous.id feel better with our glue guy available.bolden looked good friday very mobile with the brace.ive seen us on tv till friday.we looked quick in person and fairly tall.sometimes teams look slower in person we didnt.
    Ran into david Robinson I forgot hes 7 feet.very nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If I'm Johnny Dawkins, I'm packing in the zone and daring Duke to beat me with the 3 PT FG.
    If I’m Johnny Dawkins, my mirror is broken and I am woefully unprepared for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    This game has me nervous.id feel better with our glue guy available.bolden looked good friday very mobile with the brace.ive seen us on tv till friday.we looked quick in person and fairly tall.sometimes teams look slower in person we didnt.
    Ran into david Robinson I forgot hes 7 feet.very nice guy.
    I hope you don't engage in conversation the way you post!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I hope you don't engage in conversation the way you post!
    New laptop is almost here.
    This phone does not post everything
    Correctly .I'll try to redo that.
    This post is actually four sentences with space on my screen.

It's insane.