Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Well

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Switches, when he’s in. Seems if we can keep our big guys under the hoop we should be fine handling Tacko
    As someone pointed out earlier, Tre should be able to avoid switching in screens set by Fall. If he has to switch, another player should rotate on Fall. Duke has handled better pick and roll teams this year.

cojones not cAjones

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Will be an interesting matchup.

While I certainly respect Tacko's size, he has real cajones to call out Zion. It's easy to envision the difficulty of cookie-cutter straight-line dunks vs Tacko standing straight up. But in reality how often do those happen? How is Tacko going to deal with a slippery post move or a finish in traffic where our player uses a finishing move? I envision a lot of foul opportunities on that front.

Further, 7'6" 310 is plenty of beef to stop a slippery guard from finishing in the lane. But how is Tacko going to feel when 285 lbs of pure power elevates right into him? Absorbing that and trying to defend that can be just as exhausting as running the floor.

- Chillin
    This is a service message for the DBR community (and not solely directed at Chillin) in an effort to up our overall linguistic game. When referring to the nearly ubiquitous Spanish language term for 'stones', a la Tyus Stones, the correct word is cojones. The almost always incorrectly spelled word cajones means "large boxes", which honestly isn't an entirely terrible error.

Steve Wiseman, News & Observer: Don’t expect Jack White to play for Duke Sunday

“We don’t think he’s going to play,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Saturday. “He had a decent workout today with band work and that. He’ll try it out probably and warm up, but I don’t think so.”

I don't know how I missed this one but did you realize that Vince Taylor was a member of Dawkin's coaching staff? Who knew?!!! Coach K talked a bit about his first great recruiting class and how he inherited Vince Taylor in his pregame presser. Good stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/vid...5919489968913/

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    I don't know how I missed this one but did you realize that Vince Taylor was a member of Dawkin's coaching staff? Who knew?!!! Coach K talked a bit about his first great recruiting class and how he inherited Vince Taylor in his pregame presser. Good stuff.

Vince the Prince!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Not surprised by this. Hamstring injuries are dicey and a week recovery from what Jack seemed to suffer seemed optimistic. We can probably get by without him this weekend.

If this had been the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight, I'm assuming Jack might have given it a go, but better to be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post

K sounds much better, I hope he is on the upswing.

According to SI, Tacko Fall is one of the 60 tallest humans in human history. Just an interesting tidbit.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...f-second-round

Seems to me making Fall move out of the paint would be a good thing. I don't know if there's enough data to show how Zion does in the midrange game (his 3s are nice but not his forte yet). But if he could hit the midrange shot, then Fall would have to move out to guard him. Then Zion could pass to a cutting Barrett off a screen, avoiding Fall's reach as he's not quick at all. The media wants to make this a Zion v. Fall game, but I don't think that's necessary/realistic. It's a team game. Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?

I was JD, I'd tell Fall to block the first 3 Duke shots. It doesn't matter if it's goaltending or not. Try and put the idea that shots will be blocked in Duke's head. John Thompson told Patrick Ewing to do that against Carolina in '82, and it seemed to make a difference.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    According to SI, Tacko Fall is one of the 60 tallest humans in human history. Just an interesting tidbit.

Seems to me making Fall move out of the paint would be a good thing. I don't know if there's enough data to show how Zion does in the midrange game (his 3s are nice but not his forte yet). But if he could hit the midrange shot, then Fall would have to move out to guard him. Then Zion could pass to a cutting Barrett off a screen, avoiding Fall's reach as he's not quick at all. The media wants to make this a Zion v. Fall game, but I don't think that's necessary/realistic. It's a team game. Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?

I was JD, I'd tell Fall to block the first 3 Duke shots. It doesn't matter if it's goaltending or not. Try and put the idea that shots will be blocked in Duke's head. John Thompson told Patrick Ewing to do that against Carolina in '82, and it seemed to make a difference.

9F
    Ewing says “Sigh...”

-jk

Even if Fall could neutralize Zion (big if), what's UCF going to do about Barrett?
    This was my main impression watching them play Friday night. If Barrett only scores 10 or we let UCF shoot 50% from 3, it could be a rough night.

UCF hasn't played much P5 level competition this year. They went 1-1 v. Alabama and Missouri. They did have the big win @Houston to split.

Pomeroy has us +16.2. I think 15-17 is about right. Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.
    That’s the least of our concerns right now.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Coach K isn't going to run up the score if UCF has an awful night.
    what if they have an awful knight though?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    what if they have an awful knight though?
    That was Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    That was Indiana.
    Hoosier talking about?

Do you suppose Tacko's quotes will be posted in the Duke locker room?

Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    Do you suppose Tacko's quotes will be posted in the Duke locker room?
    They asked Zion about the quote in yesteeday’s Press conference. His response was (paraphrasing) “what else is he supposed to say? That he’s gonna let me dunk all over him? He said what he should say.”

They tried to goad Zion into some retort a few times, but this was his constant response. He did not seem concerned.

I’m doubting that Zion needs help motivating.

UCF's defense

9F
    Does UCF play man to man or zone? Hard to see Tacko defending the pick and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Does UCF play man to man or zone? Hard to see Tacko defending the pick and roll.
    They do some of both: man and 2-3 zone. I would guess we will see a fair amount of zone today.

9F
    When did they measure the rest?