Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Cheap shots and nonsense, especially against RJ...
    Count me in this column. The Ringer is a dope.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I guess the main point I took from the article is that the post-season narrative (although maybe not by everybody) will now be "Zion didn't get enough help" - for anything short of a title.

Zion has clearly proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt. RJ was probably somewhat properly hyped, although probably less efficient than we expected. Cam was clearly overhyped.

I agree with most of what has already been said. However, what has until now been accepted as "growing pains" for this team, may now be fatal to our chances and bring the season to an untimely end. We may win it all - that's all of our hope - but anything less than a title will probably leave a bitter taste for many/most of us, considering the extreme hype that this recruiting class received (much like the several before it).

And, though it's probably an unpopular opinion in some corners around here, this really feels like K's last best shot at one more title.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I guess the main point I took from the article is that the post-season narrative (although maybe not by everybody) will now be "Zion didn't get enough help" - for anything short of a title.

Zion has clearly proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt. RJ was probably somewhat properly hyped, although probably less efficient than we expected. Cam was clearly overhyped.

I agree with most of what has already been said. However, what has until now been accepted as "growing pains" for this team, may now be fatal to our chances and bring the season to an untimely end. We may win it all - that's all of our hope - but anything less than a title will probably leave a bitter taste for many/most of us, considering the extreme hype that this recruiting class received (much like the several before it).

And, though it's probably an unpopular opinion in some corners around here, this really feels like K's last best shot at one more title.
    Yes. 100% yes.

Aligned with everything here. Because of the "Legend of Zion" and our really good talent in the starting 5, a year without a title will feel like a disappointment, even if the probability of winning it all is <20%.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I would say it's one of the last best shots for Coach K. Depending on a couple of players' decisions, next year could also end up being a really good chance. But yes, we're getting toward the end of the line here, and if the one-and-done goes away in the not-too-distant future it could be a challenge for us to rebuild a championship-caliber team for a few years as we restock those next-tier types and get them to be veterans.

That said, I'm not sure that this has much to do with the discussion of the play of Barrett and Reddish.

I am with you until the bolded. With OAD, and not knowing how long until K retires, I feel like K will have multiple additional opportunities for championships!

I am with your logic, but perhaps not in agreement otherwise. How many times have people said so-and-so took the team on his back to a title? They didn't say others necessarily helped or that it was done in spite of the rest of the team.

Also, If Zion weren't on the team, RJ would be regarded as perhaps the best Freshman season in a Duke uniform ever.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I think Barrett being more a primary ballhandler in February stemmed from Zion being out and K trying to maximize Barrett. Barrett is a great scorer but not so much a catch and shoot kind of guy so Jones trying to get him the ball in scoring position doesn't really work. Unfortunately, I think this hurt Jones's game. Now that Zion is back, Duke can run it's more normal motion offense and take better advantage of Barrett, Jones and Zion.
    Great observation. I really like your analysis on this. You should post more.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I am with you until the bolded. With OAD, and not knowing how long until K retires, I feel like K will have multiple additional opportunities for championships!
    I think you are absolutely right. I can almost guarantee you that Coach K is going to stay at least four more years — the four years that his grandson, Michael Savarino, plays on his team. I expect that Duke will have a legitimate shot at a national championship all four of those years

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would offer an aphorism:

"In the age of the internet, copy editing has become obsolete, which is not the same as unnecessary."
    I like neglected or even ignored, but you're on the right train. It's absolutely necessary.