The Return of Deadwood

one major bummer, I see no mention of The Swede ("actually, I am Norveegian")...yeah, maybe he's theoretically dead, but that really shouldn't matter...epic character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Oh, hey, thanks for sharing! That's exciting --- a little sad though. I'd much rather the runway of another season than a movie. I'm assuming they weren't getting the viewership for the original, which is a shame because it had plenty of story left to tell.

I'd quote some of my favorite lines but the string of 'I'm a real wanker for saying that's would be epic!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, hey, thanks for sharing! That's exciting --- a little sad though. I'd much rather the runway of another season than a movie. I'm assuming they weren't getting the viewership for the original, which is a shame because it had plenty of story left to tell.

I'd quote some of my favorite lines but the string of 'I'm a real wanker for saying that's would be epic!
    Swearengen and Wu had some EPIC scenes. "White 'I'm a real wanker for saying that!"

(Edit: Uh, mods... you might need to add another curse word to the filter if we discuss Deadwood )

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Swearengen and Wu had some EPIC scenes. "White 'I'm a real wanker for saying that!"

(Edit: Uh, mods... you might need to add another curse word to the filter if we discuss Deadwood )
    Those scenes made me want to cut down a bit on my pork consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Those scenes made me want to cut down a bit on my pork consumption.
    To each his own, I suppose. Me? Kevin Bacon suddenly takes on a whole new meaning...a delicious new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'm assuming they weren't getting the viewership for the original, which is a shame because it had plenty of story left to tell.
    IIRC, there was more than sufficient viewership but David Milch wanted to move on and do "John from Cincinnati". Milch has made many good moves but, IMO, that was a horrible decision.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    one major bummer, I see no mention of The Swede ("actually, I am Norveegian")...yeah, maybe he's theoretically dead, but that really shouldn't matter...epic character.
    D'oh, it came to me while watching hoops that The Swede was not a character in Deadwood, but rather Hell on Wheels...

I don't think it was Milch's decision to end it.

This is from Wikipedia:

On May 13, 2006, HBO confirmed it had opted not to pick up the options of the actors, which were set to expire on June 11, 2006. This meant that a fourth season with the current cast as it stood was unlikely, though HBO had stressed that the show was not cancelled and talks regarding its future were continuing. The chances of the show returning with its current lineup of cast and crew were limited.

There has been talk about a movie ever since that time but it took this long to get it together. Didn't look like it would ever happen, but probably the sharp increase in TV revivals made everyone realize it could be economically viable.

Also, it would be nice if the language filter could be removed for just this one thread. Let's show some proper respect to this work of art!

Can’t wait for this one. Al Swearengen is the GOAT television character imo. I’ll have to rewatch S3 in preparation for the movie.

I look forward to opening many cans of peaches.

Finally finished binge re-watching seasons 1-3 and topped it off with the movie. Wow. Just a fantastic way to bring everything to f------ closure.

Milch accomplished in under two hours what W&B couldn’t in an entire season with GoT.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Finally finished binge re-watching seasons 1-3 and topped it off with the movie. Wow. Just a fantastic way to bring everything to f------ closure.

Milch accomplished in under two hours what W&B couldn’t in an entire season with GoT.
    Finally caught the movie. I really enjoyed it as well and I thought Milch did a nice job on dropping in on all the characters, aging them appropriately, etc. There were some absolutely laugh out loud lines so felt true enough to the wonderful script of the series.

I probably could have gone for more of a final arc for Swearingen. He wasn't as central to the events as I would have expected they'd have made him. Also, was a little underwhelmed by Hearst's plan and the execution thereof after his ominous 'I'm coming for you line'. Overall, really enjoyed it though!

Waltzing Matilda was an interesting choice to close...