Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Do North Dakotans winter in South Dakota?
    I once heard a joke (told by my sister in law who is from Fargo) that a family's farmstead home happened to be built right on the North Dakota/South Dakota stateline. When it came down to it, the family was given a choice on which state they would become an official resident. And of course the family chose to be South Dakotans. When asked why, they said, "everyone knows how cold it is in North Dakota!"

I have 48 -- still need North Dakota and Alaska. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post

I have 48 -- still need North Dakota and Alaska. . .
    Great Alaska Shootout! (And Maui Invitational...)

-jk

Grant Hill, Jim Nantz, and Bill Raftery were at the open practice today. Funny pics on the DukeMBB Instagram of Grant with Zion and R.J. The team practiced at a high school gym to walk through their game plan before the open practice at the arena.

Hate late Friday games. Makes me anxious as hell. I loved the Thursday noon games the best.

Prediction Duke 88 NDSU 61

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Prediction Duke 88 NDSU 61
    You’re too generous towards NDSU
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Minor quibble, but .735% is only roughly 7 times greater than 0.1%. Not “several hundred times.”
    that's some UNC math there...
    1200. DDMF.

Let’s Go Duke, but I would remiss to not give a shout-out to my Birds’ Carson Wentz, most likely NDSU’s most noted alum.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You’re too generous towards NDSU
    27 is the biggest spread I see for Duke on all metrics... Torvik has us by 23.

Rare events

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, with rare outcomes, each successful event is an outlier. Thus, you need a TON of observations to feel confident in your estimate of a rare outcome. For example, 1 in a million means once in one million trials. It doesn’t mean you fail 999,999 times before succeeding. That one success could happen at any time. If you only take 300 observations but get lucky and that once in a million happens, you would be overestimating the probability to say it is 1 in 300.
    Stats are interesting, really. I guess one question i have is what if you figured in near misses, like figuring in half a loaf. Georgetown vs Princeton comes readily to mind, what are the odds the Princeton player hits the last shot. There are some complicated ways of looking at this statistically but near miss events would argue against the UVA games last year was such an outlier.

The statistical treatment of rare events is a big issue in medicine.

GoDuke.com MUST correct Zion's birthplace before tonight's tip-off

GoDuke.com, the official site of Duke Athletics, sorely and promptly needs to correct its listing(found in the Full Bio section) that Zion was born in Salisbury, SC. As one poster pointed out recently, Zion was born in Salisbury, NC, and furthermore, there is no town that I can find named Salisbury in SC.

I wouldn't comment if an incorrect birthplace were listed on GoDuke.com for Mike Buckmire(no disrepect to him), for instance, but this is the near unanimous NPOY we're talking about. I don't fully understand the powers of the weauf gods, but this is no time to be agitating them in any shape or fashion.

Let's go, Duke!
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Stats are interesting, really. I guess one question i have is what if you figured in near misses, like figuring in half a loaf. Georgetown vs Princeton comes readily to mind, what are the odds the Princeton player hits the last shot. There are some complicated ways of looking at this statistically but near miss events would argue against the UVA games last year was such an outlier.

The statistical treatment of rare events is a big issue in medicine.
    That is why you need so many more observations: to determine how much of an outlier the event is.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Duke’s biggest challenge in this game is overconfidence. I expect a slow start with almost a week off and our opponent coming off more recent play. Should pull away in the second half.
    I could maybe see a slow start lasting until the under 16 timeout, maaaybe until the under 12 timeout at most. But Duke's going to be sharp and will pull away in the first half. Why? Duke's trying to make up for lost time -- Zion's injury and the games he missed. We're still a team that's trying to re-integrate our star player in Zion (and now also a role player in Marques). In the ACC tournament, we kind of muddled through two games before finally feeling "Duke's back" in the ACC championship game. Our team will want to continue to roll, continue to have those good feelings of being "back." We're going to have excellent focus and take every game seriously because we know for example that this game is a precious opportunity to sharpen our team for what lies ahead. We weren't able to sharpen when Zion was out.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Do North Dakotans winter in South Dakota?
    Hell no. SD is a fly over state for us.

ND winters can be brutal but the people make it a great place to live. We work hard and play harder!

NDSU is definitely a FB school first and foremost. We love to tailgate. They've won 7 of the last 8 FCS championships and Frisco, TX where the championship is played has become known as "Fargo South". We drank them dry the first year down there. One of the bars down there even joined our booster club. We've beaten so many Big Ten and Big 12 teams they won't even schedule us anymore.

Looking forward to the game tonight and watching our boys for the last time this season. I'd wish your team luck but they don't need it.

Little known fact*, many male newborns there are being named Derrick because of the oil boom...

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan View Post
    Hell no. SD is a fly over state for us.

ND winters can be brutal but the people make it a great place to live. We work hard and play harder!

NDSU is definitely a FB school first and foremost. We love to tailgate. They've won 7 of the last 8 FCS championships and Frisco, TX where the championship is played has become known as "Fargo South". We drank them dry the first year down there. One of the bars down there even joined our booster club. We've beaten so many Big Ten and Big 12 teams they won't even schedule us anymore.

Looking forward to the game tonight and watching our boys for the last time this season. I'd wish your team luck but they don't need it.
    How do you tailgate after, say, Labor Day...

I grew up in Minnesota about twenty miles from Detroit Lakes and graduated from NDSU. It feels very surreal to have them being discussed on the DBR. If you do go to visit Fargo, don’t forget to see the wood chipper from the movie. I think it’s at the information center.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    How do you tailgate after, say, Labor Day...

Just stick the beer in the snow -- no need for coolers. Their Igloo coolers are really igloos!

And, you know the beef is fresh.

Good luck to everyone, may there be no injuries for either team. May the winner take down the whole thing!

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanSD View Post
    I grew up in Minnesota about twenty miles from Detroit Lakes and graduated from NDSU. It feels very surreal to have them being discussed on the DBR. If you do go to visit Fargo, don’t forget to see the wood chipper from the movie. I think it’s at the information center.
    that sounds like cheating, since almost the entire story takes place in Brainerd, Minnesota (where I worked one summer)...beautiful Gull Lake, lovely water, gobs of leeches and ticks, too.

I'm sure this won't be a distraction. An NCAA Tournament first? Zion Cam to debut in Columbia

“Because of Zion (Williamson), we have added a camera dedicated to him the whole time he is on the floor,” said Wolff, who has risen to be the network’s coordinating producer of college basketball. “We hired a cameraman, a camera, a digital tape machine to record everything he does.”