Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Final: NDSU 78, NCCU 74.

Duke will face the Bison.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Final: NDSU 78, NCCU 74.

Duke will face the Bison.
    NDSUAAS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...ate_University

Tough game for Central...bring on the Bison!

On to the official scouting thread...

UVa fans thought the same when facing UMBC last year. Respect the opponent! Respect the game! Respect yourself!
    If I were coach, I wouldn't be saying that to my team. However, I'd still be thinking it. NDSU will no doubt play hard, but it would take us playing our worst game all season by a pretty wide margin and NDSU shooting absolutely lights out for them to challenge. This is KenPom 200 versus KenPom 2 we're talking about. We are are roughly a 30-point favorite. If this game is close, we are doing something very, very wrong on both ends of the court, and my TV is at real risk of physical damage.

Yes. NDSU is knocking down a lot of 3 PT FG and are up 28-20.
    I watched the entire game. ND State does the things that Duke has trouble with, hitting 3's and very good from the FT line. They are also disciplined and don't turn the ball over a lot. They are smaller and less athletic than Duke, but their qualities will make it an interesting game to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I watched the entire game. ND State does the things that Duke has trouble with, hitting 3's and very good from the FT line. They are also disciplined and don't turn the ball over a lot. They are smaller and less athletic than Duke, but their qualities will make it an interesting game to watch.
    I want a boring win - not interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If I were coach, I wouldn't be saying that to my team. However, I'd still be thinking it. NDSU will no doubt play hard, but it would take us playing our worst game all season by a pretty wide margin and NDSU shooting absolutely lights out for them to challenge. This is KenPom 200 versus KenPom 2 we're talking about. We are are roughly a 30-point favorite. If this game is close, we are doing something very, very wrong on both ends of the court, and my TV is at real risk of physical damage.
    We are KenPom 3

UVa fans thought the same when facing UMBC last year. Respect the opponent! Respect the game! Respect yourself!
    If duke loses on friday, I will NOT stop posting on DBR, however, should duke lose, I will send a pie to anyone who would commit 2$ to DUMB were Duke to win.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    We are KenPom 3
    It’s over.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    We are KenPom 3
    Ah, you are correct. But according to AdjEM, we are still closer to 35-point favorites than 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Ah, you are correct. But according to AdjEM, we are still closer to 35-point favorites than 30.
    Current Vegas betting lines - 27 to 27.5. Still largest line in tourney.

The real question: if you were an NDSU assistant, knowing the Bison would likely be playing a top seeded team, would you have requested ACC tourney tickets, which would have allowed you to see 3 potential 1st round opponents at the same time. Highly efficient! And with a few breaks, NDSU might be playing 5 ACC teams in the next few weeks.

It might be hard to argue unavailability of tape (recordings of Zion? Hmmm. I know they’re around here somewhere), but I’d explain I’d get a better feel in person.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The real question: if you were an NDSU assistant, knowing the Bison would likely be playing a top seeded team, would you have requested ACC tourney tickets, which would have allowed you to see 3 potential 1st round opponents at the same time. Highly efficient! And with a few breaks, NDSU might be playing 5 ACC teams in the next few weeks.

It might be hard to argue unavailability of tape (recordings of Zion? Hmmm. I know they’re around here somewhere), but I’d explain I’d get a better feel in person.
    Perhaps next year we should create the DBR basketball team and all of us would be assistant coaches that need to scout ACC teams at the ACC tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Actually Duke is very good at three point defense, keeping opponents off the foul line and creating turnovers.

I watched a lot of the game and felt that NDSU did not throw crisp passes and are in for a rude awakening against Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I mean, I can think of at least 3 reasons:
    (A) NCAA tournament games are more important than the other games, and coaches can sometimes be anal-retentive. Fire up the jet!
    (B) The Synergy clips and film on NCCU / NDSU might not be as plentiful or helpful as for power conference teams, and any extra data could help.
    (C) When in Maui or other tournament settings, the coaches are sometimes in the stands watching their next opponent, so they must feel like they get something out of the live in-person experience.

All I'm saying is it's possible. I would probably bet against it, too, but since you're saying "I can't imagine", I'm trying to see if I could... imagine why.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I would be shocked if we do not have someone there live.
    I would think we would at least send one of the younger assistant coaches to prepare a scouting report so that he could get the experience of doing it on his own. Have him brief the team with his findings. This would bring a new energy to the process, and a different voice - something to counter the overconfidence that is bound to seep in. Of course, the rest of the staff will have done the film work per usual, so things won't go off the tracks. Remember, first and foremost, Coach K is a leader, he will rarely pass up such an opportunity.

Also, scouting a team is more than just watching game action, it includes watching the interaction of the team and the coaching staff in the various phases and the various situations.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Current Vegas betting lines - 27 to 27.5. Still largest line in tourney.
    Gonzaga is at 28 against the Fairly Ridiculous Chessboard Knights

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Perhaps next year we should create the DBR basketball team and all of us would be assistant coaches that need to scout ACC teams at the ACC tournament?
    I'd offer to keep the stats, but Kedsy clearly gets that job. I guess I can be the guy to hand out towels and Gatorade and sprint to the locker room at half-time.