Thread: Bella Alarie

Bella Alarie

There's a nice NYT article about Bella Alarie, daughter of Mark, here. The title offers a nice allusion to John McPhee's classic Bill Bradley-at-Princeton tome and the article itself chronicles Bella's ascension from being a player who couldn't even get a "letter of interest" from Duke to a likely first round WNBA draft choice. Chris Young, the long-time major league pitcher who played basketball and baseball at Princeton, is quoted as saying, "I’d pay to watch two players in college basketball: Zion Williamson and Bella Alarie."

It's well worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    There's a nice NYT article about Bella Alarie, daughter of Mark, here. The title offers a nice allusion to John McPhee's classic Bill Bradley-at-Princeton tome

My father had a copy of the Bradley biography autographed by Bradley at a Princeton Club of Detroit meeting. I have that book now and I cherish it.

And that is a great article about Bella Alarie! Thanks for the link.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I wouldn't call McPhee's book a biography, exactly, but it's one of my two favorite basketball books ever (this is the other).

With Mark's place in the pantheon of Duke basketball (which IMO is way up there) - a case could be made that she should've been given a hard look by Coach P. out of courtesy...and then look what Duke would've had.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    With Mark's place in the pantheon of Duke basketball (which IMO is way up there) - a case could be made that she should've been given a hard look by Coach P. out of courtesy...and then look what Duke would've had.
    Dad was disappointed, too, that there was never even contact made.

I wouldn't call McPhee's book a biography, exactly, but it's one of my two favorite basketball books ever
    Yes, I stand corrected.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

There's a nice NYT article about Bella Alarie, daughter of Mark, here. The title offers a nice allusion to John McPhee's classic Bill Bradley-at-Princeton tome and the article itself chronicles Bella's ascension from being a player who couldn't even get a "letter of interest" from Duke to a likely first round WNBA draft choice. Chris Young, the long-time major league pitcher who played basketball and baseball at Princeton, is quoted as saying, "I’d pay to watch two players in college basketball: Zion Williamson and Bella Alarie."

It's well worth a look.
    I've watched a few Princeton WBB games this year, including the win over Penn Sunday in the Ivy tournament final, as a family friend is also on the team. Bella is an absolutely dominant player, with season averages of 23 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 3.3 apg and 2.9 bpg, shooting 52.6% on FGs and 83% on FTs. Those are pretty much video game numbers for WBB.

She made the right choice given the current regime, I am sad to say. Wish it were not so.