Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

What're your biggest upset picks (that you'll go on the record with)?

I've got UC Irvine over Kansas State as a 13-over-4 (I don't think K State is the same without Dean Wade) in the first round, and I've got two double digit seeds, No. 11 Belmont (assuming they win the First Four, if they don't I might change things) and No. 12 New Mexico State, going to the Sweet 16.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I was expecting that Vermont could have been a splendid choice as a 13th seed, but I fear FSU has too much length and athleticism...still would not be a crazy pick...would have been a great pick vs four seed Kansas, for example.

BILLIKENS over VA Tech, because my wife went to SLU and I've watched weirdly a lot of SLU basketball this season (even though my wife watched virtually zero of this until I pestered her enough to watch the last 8 minutes or so of the A-10 championship game so she could halfheartedly celebrate their tournament berth).

I always have UNC lose in their first game.

Oregon as a 12-seed was actually favored over 5-seed Wisconsin for a few hours after the bracket came out. I think they're back to a 1.5 pt underdog now. Not sure who I'd pick in that matchup, as I think the PAC is terrible, but intriguing that the spread in a 5-12 matchup is almost a pick 'em.

I have a lot of chalk in my bracket.

But for first round upsets:

11 Belmont over 6 Maryland
    13 UC Irvine over 4 Kansas St (same reasons as scottdude)
    11 St Mary's over 6 Villanova

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Oregon as a 12-seed was actually favored over 5-seed Wisconsin for a few hours after the bracket came out. I think they're back to a 1.5 pt underdog now. Not sure who I'd pick in that matchup, as I think the PAC is terrible, but intriguing that the spread in a 5-12 matchup is almost a pick 'em.
    Wow, lots of respect for Dana Altman.

I've got Oregon beating Wisconsin (the Big Ten also wasn't that good this year outside the state of Michigan).

I also have Saint Mary's taking out Villanova and Cincinnati beating Tennessee to make the Sweet 16. The South region should be re-named the Chaos region.

Oh, and Gonzaga going down to Syracuse in the second round.

I like to have unc lose in the second round where possible, but Utah State and Washington weren't giving me much to work with...I had to settle for Auburn knocking them out instead.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I also have UC Irvine (13) upsetting KSU (4). I like Murray St (12) over Marquette (5).

As far as Whisky (5)/Oregon goes (12), they are pretty different in Kenpom. Whisky is 12th with a #52 adjusted offense and a #3 adjusted defense versus Oregon is ranked 43rd with a #108 adjusted offense and a #18 adjusted defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    BILLIKENS over VA Tech, because my wife went to SLU and I've watched weirdly a lot of SLU basketball this season (even though my wife watched virtually zero of this until I pestered her enough to watch the last 8 minutes or so of the A-10 championship game so she could halfheartedly celebrate their tournament berth).
    Truthfully I know little about SLU but I don't think this is a bad pick..SLU over VT

Bill Walton LOVES this Oregon team. I am not sure why but he does and he would not stop repeating it during the Utah game last Thursday.

Utah State. Second round.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Bill Walton LOVES this Oregon team. I am not sure why but he does and he would not stop repeating it during the Utah game last Thursday.
    Because weed is legal in Oregon?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I have a lot of chalk in my bracket.

But for first round upsets:

11 Belmont over 6 Maryland
    13 UC Irvine over 4 Kansas St (same reasons as scottdude)
    11 St Mary's over 6 Villanova
    Interestingly enough I have all three of those upsets! I just have a couple 12-5 in there as well (Murray State and New Mexico State).

The Oregon bandwagon confuses me, but it's obviously quite large if Vegas in onboard. The Pac-12 sucked all year, and Oregon only made the tournament because Washington didn't come to play in the Pac-12 final. Meanwhile, Wisconsin has its flaws, but they have a legit All-American in Ethan Happ, who is a senior and legit big... without Bol Bol, Oregon's best rebounders are a freshman and a sophomore, the former of which plays a majority of the minutes but is a thin 6-8 205. And while Wisconsin's offense struggles on occasion their defense is always stout, so they'll be in the game no matter what. That makes me think the Badgers are gonna pull it out.

(In response to MChambers) Most likely. That or he once saw Bob Dylan play in Portland in 1978 and it was "the best night of his life and changed the way he saw the world"

--As for upsets, I have seen the Saint Mary's over Nova and Yale over LSU a lot. I saw Nova play twice in person last week and both games were close and both times they made the correct plays down the stretch and won. I like them in a tournament setting although they are not nearly as good as the last few years.

My upset would be a 1st round Maryland loss. Doesn't matter who they play. I have a family member closely associated with that Maryland program and she/he has no trust in Turgeon whatsoever. Went as far as to say a loss would do the program long-term good...
    Last edited by J4Kop99; 03-19-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote MChambers

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Utah State. Second round.
    From your mouth to God's ears

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Because weed is legal in Oregon?
    LOL. Must spread comments around before ...

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The Oregon bandwagon confuses me, but it's obviously quite large if Vegas in onboard. The Pac-12 sucked all year, and Oregon only made the tournament because Washington didn't come to play in the Pac-12 final. Meanwhile, Wisconsin has its flaws, but they have a legit All-American in Ethan Happ, who is a senior and legit big... without Bol Bol, Oregon's best rebounders are a freshman and a sophomore, the former of which plays a majority of the minutes but is a thin 6-8 205. And while Wisconsin's offense struggles on occasion their defense is always stout, so they'll be in the game no matter what. That makes me think the Badgers are gonna pull it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    (In response to MChambers) Most likely. That or he once saw Bob Dylan play in Portland in 1978 and it was "the best night of his life and changed the way he saw the world"

--As for upsets, I have seen the Saint Mary's over Nova and Yale over LSU a lot. I saw Nova play twice in person last week and both games were close and both times they made the correct plays down the stretch and won. I like them in a tournament setting although they are not nearly as good as the last few years.

My upset would be a 1st round Maryland loss. Doesn't matter who they play. I have a family member closely associated with that Maryland program and she/he has no trust in Turgeon whatsoever. Went as far as to say a loss would do the program long-term good...
    Yale over LSU is the popular upset pick that confuses me. I just don't get it...I guess because the coach is out?

Has anyone done an analysis on first round upsets depending on the day? I feel like the Thursday games always have more upsets. It's like the Friday favored-teams see the Thursday upsets and are like, "oh boy, we better play gooder than they did or we're going to get upset too" (or something like that). It would be interesting to look at methinks...