Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Man I really appreciate this forum but this thread seems to have become the embodiment of people with too much free time taking extra time to debate the parameters of how they choose to spend said free time. Very meta.

Feel free fire away at me, but really guys? Life is great when Duke basketball is a really enjoyable addition to a full complement of other interests!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

Do I detect a Biddy Basketball ref in disguise?
    Lol not at all. I just find it annoying how much everyone complains about the calls or lack there of when in reality those complaining are wrong in the first place or have crazy standards. It's not a Duke thing but every single team in every sport and it's craazzzyyyyyy. I get a bad call happens every now and then and a complaint may be warranted but when nearly every call is disputed or every 3 mins someone says "another missed call" it's super irritating.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Man I really appreciate this forum but this thread seems to have become the embodiment of people with too much free time taking extra time to debate the parameters of how they choose to spend said free time. Very meta.

Feel free fire away at me, but really guys? Life is great when Duke basketball is a really enjoyable addition to a full complement of other interests!
    A good friend and neighbor once said in a moment of clarity "Sports are great, because they give us an opportunity to care a lot about something that really doesn't matter."

People use sports fandom as an opportunity to find their sociological tribe of like minded people, a way to blow of steam, a way to feel pride, a way to express shared values. This board is simply an extension of that same purpose.

I am sure that for lots of us, in the "real world" there is very little that we share in common. We may live hundreds or thousands of miles apart, be of different political mindsets, and in vastly different income brackets. But, we all have an opinion of Bolden's development as a junion, Baker's redshirt, how likely Jones is to go in the draft, and whether Zion is the best athlete of a generation, or just the best basketball player of a generation.

I think another difference in how the forum and chat are used simply comes down to how people use the internet. I've always used the internet in a way similar to how I would interact with people in real life. I attempt (attempt, that is!) to be no more condescending, aggressive, or rude than I am if someone is standing in front of me and having a conversation. Other people really enjoy the anonymity of being online and use it to express their frustration more explicitly.

Sure, I know that through one thing and another there are probably enough breadcrumbs in my post history to sleuth your way to my identity in real life. Some folks are quite straight forward about presenting their names. Others quite understandably are more guarded.

At any rate - thanks to everyone who has replied and offered their thoughts. I will give the chat another walk through this week and I will try to be less Pollyannaish.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post

and yet here you are, using your free time to criticize how people spend their free time...

You don't have to spend too much time on places like reddit to see that the high quality of a board like this is not the natural state of things...without relatively involved moderation and meta-discussion, boards simply turn into cesspits of memes, and other low quality content (ironic given one of the top threads is about memes...).
    April 1

A lot of terping on here about people terping. And I just terped. A vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    A lot of terping on here about people terping. And I just terped. A vicious cycle.
    There really shouldn't be any terping around here. They left the league a number of years ago. Did the door hit them on the way out? I don't recall...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    There really shouldn't be any terping around here. They left the league a number of years ago. Did the door hit them on the way out? I don't recall...
    ..and the Terps were the second university 'SEC-ing" supposedly greener pastures elsewhere...so they left for football so their ACC instate rival could become the football power. Ironic. And now some Terps wonder if this was a B1G mistake....

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    And here I thought it was twerping.

I must be old. I confuse terping and twerping and don't know what a "dank" meme is.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    And here I thought it was twerping.

I must be old. I confuse terping and twerping and don't know what a "dank" meme is.

Wow.
    At least you aren't twerking - I'm not sure how people would feel about one doing that in the chat

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At least you aren't twerking - I'm not sure how people would feel about one doing that in the chat
    I do it on the daily via periscope.

Ha! I know what twerking and periscope are! (But I don't really do it on the daily)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Dim view of that, I speak for all involved.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'