Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2019 NCAA Tournament Map

We did this last year (although due to scheduling issues I likely will not be able to do game-by-game updates this season). The more detailed explanation is in last year's thread, but the general principle is that each county in the country is assigned to the 68 NCAA tournament teams by geographic proximity (distance from home arena to geographic center of the county) and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land). Here's the starting map for 2019. Duke has the smallest area by population and third smallest (ahead of only Iona and St. John's) by land area and number of counties - only means there's a lot of land out there for the taking.

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Is Duke the smallest starting territory? Are there any teams with no​ counties due to their proximity to multiple other local schools?

Is St. Mary's really closer to Hawaii than UC Irvine? Seems counter-intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Is Duke the smallest starting territory? Are there any teams with no​ counties due to their proximity to multiple other local schools?
    St. John's and Iona are smaller by area (and number of counties).

No, all 68 teams get land on this map.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    By about 130 miles. Hawaii is actually more relatively west than south from the California coast, so the fact that St. Mary's starts so much further west makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    PVAMU/Houston also feels strange to me. I suspect it would make more sense if I bothered to understand great circle distance (which is used to calculate who "owns" each county) fully which is probably the cause for the "weirdness".

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    PVAMU/Houston also feels strange to me. I suspect it would make more sense if I bothered to understand great circle distance (which is used to calculate who "owns" each county) fully which is probably the cause for the "weirdness".
    Great Circle distance is just as the crow flies, but accounting for the curve of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    St. John's and Iona are smaller by area (and number of counties).

No, all 68 teams get land on this map.
    Which ones are our nomadic tribes this year?

Iona, Seton Hall, St. John's and Fairleigh Dickinson are all extremely close together, with Yale not too far away either, but there are a lot of people in that small area. But I don't think they are in as close proximity as Duke, UNC and NCCU. Duke will multiply its footprint many times over with a win in the first round.

Great Circle distance is just as the crow flies, but accounting for the curve of the earth.
    Now that I've actually bothered to see where PVAMU is located on a map that one makes more sense now. Seeing the island of red at the southern tip just felt weird at first but of course it is because it is further west (towards Houston).

Hah! California, an athletically oriented state with a population of 40 million and a gross domestic product bigger than all but four countries, is represented in the NCAAs by the Anteaters and the Gaels.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm surprised the NCCU gets more territory than Duke. But, if they are taking area away from unc, I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm surprised the NCCU gets more territory than Duke. But, if they are taking area away from unc, I'm ok with that.
    I'm surprised the cheats don't own at least some property in the 48169 zip code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm surprised the cheats don't own at least some property in the 48169 zip code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan
    Where in Hell is the 48169 zip code?

such is the problem when you're sandwiched between two other schools.

Is duke the only school which doesn't control the land in which it exists (or more generally, are duke and NCCU the only schools which come from the same county?)
    1200. DDMF.

By being ever so slightly more southeast in Durham County, NCCU gets all the land in that direction that would otherwise have been Duke's. One or two counties might have been UNC's but for the Eagles being included, but for the most part we lost counties to them (and we can get them back Friday).

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Is duke the only school which doesn't control the land in which it exists (or more generally, are duke and NCCU the only schools which come from the same county?)
    UNC does not own Orange County - Cameron is slightly closer to its center than the Dean Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Also, Temple and Villanova are both in Philadelphia County, and Temple controls that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Where in Hell is the 48169 zip code?
    Yes.

250px-NWS_Hell_MI.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

UNC does not own Orange County ...
    I believe whoever bought the right to collect PJ Hairston's unpaid parking tickets actually owns Orange County -- or at least has the most money on paper.