Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Whn I was 18 or 19 I never once made a mistake on national television.
    Me neither. Thank God it was only the local television news.

no big deal...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I know what he meant, but was afraid everyone wouldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    With all these references to a T-shirt, might as well provide a link

Can someone (maybe -jk) confirm that DBR gets a cut? If so, I'll buy one. Zion made me love him more with this quote. Killers do indeed kill.
    Man, I wish somebody from UVa would make one that says "R32 or bust!!!"

I'd rock that in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I know what he meant, but was afraid everyone wouldn't get it.
    Whose problem we would that be?

Seriously folks? I cant believe the number of chicken little posts here.

If I had a dime for every time I've heard the phrase "killer instinct" when it comes to basketball I'd pay off the national debt.

"What made Jordan so great was his killer instinct"

"Kobe has the killer instinct just like Jordan"

"You know what Lebron lacks? Killer instinct."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...iller-instinct

http://onsmash.com/sports/michael-jo...nt-nba-player/

https://fadeawayworld.com/2017/12/20...ller-instinct/

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2016/06/...ller-instinct/

And so on and so forth...

But yeah - killers kill.

Interesting that there seems to be a split... I figured some other people might cringe a bit at the line. I do agree that it isn’t a big deal, which a number of people on both the “eh, it was awkward” side as well as the “eh, it’s a fairly common metaphor” side (and even people who believe both, which is probably the vast majority of us, at heart) seem to agree with. I just remember that my first reaction was “Hm. Yeah, killers do kill, like that shooting.” That’s generally not the first reaction you want?

In terms of the other “killer” phrases (those fries are killer, killer instinct, etc) sure, it is a pretty common metaphor. I’ve certainly said “Oh man, we are going to kill them!” It was just something about that particular noun+verb phrase that made it resonate a little oddly with me, especially given the news and lack of any other quotes. Not sure why, but it just feels slightly different than “What a killer instinct” or “Those fries are killer.” Note: slightly different. Again, not a huge deal.

Some folks are definitely taking it a bit too far. To take “eh, I thought it was a touch awkward” and even “maybe the war metaphors could start to be phased out” and get to “snowflakes with their climate of outrage” and “what next, permission slips for crying on tv?” and “you want participation trophies next?”... it seems that maybe folks are talking about a bigger issue or argument they’ve had.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Man, I wish somebody from UVa would make one that says "R32 or bust!!!"

I'd rock that in a heartbeat.
    Why would anyone from UVa want one of these. It appears VW hasn't produced any for >10 years.

https://nfs.fandom.com/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_R32_(Mk5)

VolksR32StandardWorld.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist. My brother and I used to talk about these regularly 10-15 years ago. He never pulled the trigger to buy one.)

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    It’s going to get to the point where you can’t say anything without offending someone.
    Yep, about a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know that when a friend tells me that a restaurant has killer french fries, I don't assume they are likely to actually kill me.
    Some doctors may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Interesting that there seems to be a split... I figured some other people might cringe a bit at the line. I do agree that it isn’t a big deal, which a number of people on both the “eh, it was awkward” side as well as the “eh, it’s a fairly common metaphor” side (and even people who believe both, which is probably the vast majority of us, at heart) seem to agree with. I just remember that my first reaction was “Hm. Yeah, killers do kill, like that shooting.” That’s generally not the first reaction you want?

In terms of the other “killer” phrases (those fries are killer, killer instinct, etc) sure, it is a pretty common metaphor. I’ve certainly said “Oh man, we are going to kill them!” It was just something about that particular noun+verb phrase that made it resonate a little oddly with me, especially given the news and lack of any other quotes. Not sure why, but it just feels slightly different than “What a killer instinct” or “Those fries are killer.” Note: slightly different. Again, not a huge deal.

Some folks are definitely taking it a bit too far. To take “eh, I thought it was a touch awkward” and even “maybe the war metaphors could start to be phased out” and get to “snowflakes with their climate of outrage” and “what next, permission slips for crying on tv?” and “you want participation trophies next?”... it seems that maybe folks are talking about a bigger issue or argument they’ve had.
    I mean - it could be worse, he could have been holding a gun right?

1931lmelssqvfjpg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    This is where K really takes over. It's team mentality now. They need to pay attention only to him. It's go time.
    Yep, GTHCGTH!

Read "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker. Even if you decide you don't agree with his arguments, it's at least calls into question the idea that we are more violent than ever and killing is on the rise etc. What is on the rise is the facility to communicate with one another. We have a 24-hour news cycle. We are hyper-aware of more violence than ever before. The question is this: is violence really on the rise? Pinker argues we are living in a much more peaceful world, but we just don't realize it, because no one makes money off of "In the news this hour, things are pretty darn good. Now over to Stacy with the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know that when a friend tells me that a restaurant has killer french fries, I don't assume they are likely to actually kill me.
    Devil Deac might be a better reference but I suspect that enough French fries may actually do you in. Nevertheless, I like mine piping hot with plenty of salt and ketchup.

Now I’m hungry for some shoe string fries! But first I gotta order one of those killer t-shirts since I gave up hyper-sensitivity for Lent again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Lord above there are some sensitivity meters tuned very high here. Are we also awarding trophies to all teams in this tournament?
    Good lord, don't be THAT guy. We noticed it. It wasn't an optimal comment to make. Don't start with the "snowflake" comments.

Interesting that there seems to be a split... I figured some other people might cringe a bit at the line.
    Would you have also cringed if Zion had said, "shooters shoot"? Both are basketball phrases, but you can interpret them another way.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Devil Deac might be a better reference but I suspect that enough French fries may actually do you in. Nevertheless, I like mine piping hot with plenty of salt and ketchup.

Now I’m hungry for some shoe string fries! But first I gotta order one of those killer t-shirts since I gave up hyper-sensitivity for Lent again this year.
    Ha! Already addressed budwom's post late this AM.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Soon there will be consent forms that must be submitted before a crying cheerleader or band member can be shown on national TV. I enjoy Zion's post game interviews in general, especially his sincerity.
    Or a crying Jordan.

Yes, this seems ripe for spiraling into the great enduring debate pitting the "should you say that" versus the "But I wanna..." crowds...

P1: <says things>
    P2: I'm not sure that's appropriate.
    P1: Don't care. Wanna say.
    P2: Ok, but have you considered X.
    P2: But have you considered how it might sound to other people.
    P2: But society is moving in such and such a direction.
    P1: Don't care. Wanna say. Snowflake. Outrage mob and such.
    P2: You know you have a poopie diaper, right?
    P1: I like it.
    P2: I know you do...

Seems like "do we overuse violence metaphors in every day life" could be an interesting discussion but we're not equipped to have it. And, for the record, "killer's kill" is what I say to myself after my third cup of morning coffee on the way to the commode...

Yes, I think it would be better to minimize such phrases, and I'm not some snowflake who is easily offended. "Killer instinct" is an attribute but "Killers" is describing the essence of a person - it's a whole different degree of usage for the term.

By the way, thank God Duke is bad at 3 pointers, otherwise there might be a "Shooters Shoot" shirt. Just think about that one for a moment if you still think "killers kill" is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I have a feeling that that phrase wasn't just some random utterance. It's probable that K said something like that in practice or in a huddle. Kind of like when Zion was asked what K said in an earlier game and he shared that K asked if they were losers or winners. As you alluded, Zion isn't quite as media savvy as Coach, who doesn't express things to the press in the same manner that he communicates to the team in private moments.
    Or was it something RJ said after a road win wearing the dark jerseys? Can't remember the quote or find a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    With all these references to a T-shirt, might as well provide a link

Can someone (maybe -jk) confirm that DBR gets a cut? If so, I'll buy one. Zion made me love him more with this quote. Killers do indeed kill.
    Someone should probably have a talk with JD. He is not some 18 year old and should know better than to put a DBR endorsement on the term. If and when Duke officially endorses the term (unlikely), then I think DBR should also start promoting such products.