View Poll Results: Who will win the West?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gonzaga

14 22.95%
  • Michigan

19 31.15%
  • Texas Tech

18 29.51%
  • Florida State

6 9.84%
  • Marquette

1 1.64%
  • Buffalo

1 1.64%
  • Nevada

0 0%
  • Syracuse

2 3.28%
  • Baylor

0 0%
  • Florida

0 0%
  • Arizona State

0 0%
  • St. John’s

0 0%
  • Murray State

0 0%
  • Vermont

0 0%
  • Northern Kentucky

0 0%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2019 West Region Thread (Gonzaga #1)

Discuss the teams and predict who will win here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

No one cares about this region.

We should. It's our first Final 4 game if we get there. This region is almost as unpredictable as the South.

Syracuse over Gonzaga is plausible without much preparation time, but I like Gonzaga.
    It could be Murray State or Vermont to the Sweet 16. Marquette isn't playing well with Howard, and FSU is good but inconsistent. Hamilton's teams tend to underachieve with high seeds, and it's a hidden road game in Hartford.

Buffalo is going to be a popular pick over TX Tech.

I think Gonzaga probably wins this one.

Markus Howard vs. Ja Morant in the first round? This is why the Selection Committee can't have nice things.

Of the top 11 seeds in this region (including the two 11 seeds playing in the First Four), the only automatic bid went to 6 seed Buffalo.

That Gonzaga - FSU sweet sixteen matchup is one I am going to watch.

I kinda wish Michigan was our #2 instead of MSU, but they are really good. Take away their three MSU losses and they look like a #1 seed.

Would not be surprised if 'Cuse takes Gonzaga out. Also would not be surprised if 'Cuse loses to Baylor..

Think folks are sleeping on the Zags

They have the second best 1-2 punch in college ball in Hachimura/Clarke. They are experienced, well-coached, and disciplined. And they don't have to travel much (whereas their opponents most likely will).

I think the Zags are as close to Duke as a "shoe in" for a Final Four appearance.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

For the play-in game between AZ State and St. John's, I think the more interesting option would be having the two coaches (Mullin and Bobby Hurley) play one-on-one. Or else compete to see who has the thicker metro-NY accent...

First round schedule/Kenpom odds for the West:

Tuesday
    [208]Fairleigh Dickinson (-1) vs. [209]Prairie View A&M (6:40, TruTV)

Wednesday
    [61]Arizona State (-2) vs. [78]St. John's (9:10, TruTV)

Thursday
    [14]Florida State (-9) vs. [80]Vermont (2:00, TBS)
    [27]Marquette (-4) vs. [52]Murray State (4:30, TBS)
    [25]Nevada (-1) vs. [28]Florida (6:50, TNT)
    [2]Gonzaga vs. TBD (7:27, TruTV)
    [5]Michigan (-17) vs. [137]Montana (9:20, TNT)
    [35]Syracuse (-1) vs. [41]Baylor (9:57, TruTV)

Friday
    [9]Texas Tech (-14) vs. [100]Northern Kentucky (1:30, TNT)
    [22]Buffalo vs. TBD (4:00, TNT)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think the Zags are as close to Duke as a "shoe in" for a Final Four appearance.
    Maybe so, but if I were a Gonzaga fan I'd be rooting hard for Baylor to beat Syracuse.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Maybe so, but if I were a Gonzaga fan I'd be rooting hard for Baylor to beat Syracuse.

Howard
    And you're not wrong. 'Cuse's D - if you haven't seen it - is an absolutely pain. Just ask Indiana.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Remember how good MI looked in January? Well, they seem to have regrouped.

It means nothing, but I hate the pink shoes they wear. Krlyna wears 'em too. Enough already. I want to enjoy sports, not look at a public service announcement.

This bracket is boring as hell to me. Granted, the South would be as well if UVA was not playing in it. There are some potential interesting matchups. I think FSU matches up well with Gonzaga and the TT-Michigan game would be interesting. I think the 2 or 3 seed wins this bracket. If we see a FSU-Michigan rematch, though, I hope FSU doesn't give up in the last 10 seconds again.

Frank Howard (Cuse) suspended indefinitely by Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    "No word if this has anything to do with the alleged tripping incident. The ACC never commented, Zion Williamson never noticed it, and Howard is with the team in Salt Lake City right now. But in any case, Howard’s not playing because of an action on his part, and one that we may never really find out the full story on."
    I'm glad there is still time to re-think my bracket. I had them beating Gonzaga.

Battle apparently returning. So one in, one out for Syracuse.

Battle is the better of the two, but Howard is a very capable shooter, as we saw.

It's a good thing that Bobby appears to be in great health or he'd be at high risk for a heart attack everytime he stepped into an arena. I think it's ridiculous that the panel is talking about him for 5 minutes as opposed to the play of either team. Seth Davis is barely tolerable when he's talking about an actual issue but he's asinine when discussing a technical foul that should never have been called.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It's a good thing that Bobby appears to be in great health or he'd be at high risk for a heart attack everytime he stepped into an arena. I think it's ridiculous that the panel is talking about him for 5 minutes as opposed to the play of either team. Seth Davis is barely tolerable when he's talking about an actual issue but he's asinine when discussing a technical foul that should never have been called.
    He’s just channeling his inner K from way back when...

(For the youngsters: way back when, K led the acc in T’s regularly.)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I didn't think Seth was that bad (today), Bobby definitely wasn't interested in talking about the T at the halftime interview though.