0 0%
  • UC Irvine

0 0%
  • Old Dominion

0 0%
  • Colgate

0 0%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I wonder if Tony has ever been approached by the pros? Is that defense the thing that keeps him out of the mix?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I wonder if Tony has ever been approached by the pros? Is that defense the thing that keeps him out of the mix?
    It’s that the only franchise for which he would leave UVa is Golden State and that job isn’t open. He left his heart in San Francisco, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It’s that the only franchise for which he would leave UVa is Golden State and that job isn’t open. He left his heart in San Francisco, after all.
    In my economic observations of the world of head basketball coaches, his job at Virginia is superior to almost any NBA job:
    (a) He can make a ton of money, viz. Coach K.
    (b) Unlike almost every coach in the NBA, he ain't gonna be fired, so the money stream can be viewed as a lengthy annuity, not just an annual salary plus bonus plus other income.
    (c) He doesn't have a basketball boss, whereas in the NBA he would have a GM, a team president and an owner -- which affects point (b).
    (d) Unless there is a family preference to be elsewhere (big city, and so forth), he has no reason to leave Charlottesville, where he is far more than a minor deity, as opposed to being just another coach in an NBA city.

I suppose the major negative of college coaching is the need to recruit. He seems comfortable with recruiting HS players, but I haven't heard much about his feelings for the recruitment trail.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In my economic observations of the world of head basketball coaches, his job at Virginia is superior to almost any NBA job:
    (b) Unlike almost every coach in the NBA, he ain't gonna be fired, so the money stream can be viewed as a lengthy annuity, not just an annual salary plus bonus plus other income.
    (c) He doesn't have a basketball boss, whereas in the NBA he would have a GM, a team president and an owner -- which affects point (b).
    (d) Unless there is a family preference to be elsewhere (big city, and so forth), he has no reason to leave Charlottesville, where he is far more than a minor deity, as opposed to be just another coach in an NBA city.

I suppose the major negative of college coaching is the need to recruit. He seems comfortable with recruiting HS players, but I haven't heard much about his feelings for the recruitment trail.
    All of these are true. Plus the fact that his system wouldn’t be as effective in the NBA, where too many guys can shoot and spacing is better.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    (d) Unless there is a family preference to be elsewhere (big city, and so forth), he has no reason to leave Charlottesville, where he is far more than a minor deity, as opposed to being just another coach in an NBA city.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    All of these are true. Plus the fact that his system wouldn’t be as effective in the NBA, where too many guys can shoot and spacing is better.
    Now that my tongue is out of my cheek, I agree with both of you. He’s better off at UVa, unless he really wants to coach the most talented players.

Nova

Has been called for 5 fouls the entire game...
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Has been called for 5 fouls the entire game...
    I’m reminded of the year they beat UVA by one (DiVicenzo tip-in when he was a freshman) when they went the last 15 minutes of the game without being called for a foul. Must have just been great defense!

Dammit Cincy.

Meanwhile Oklahoma is absolutely shredding Ole Miss.

Virginia game is underway - good luck to all our resident Wahoos!
    Bob Green

UVA looking tight.

At the Under 12 media timeout, Gardner Webb 17 - Virginia 10. The Cavaliers have committed 6 turnovers already. I suspect cuticles are starting to bleed in Charlottesville.
    Bob Green

Good luck to the resident Wahoos is right!

But oh boy, need to turn it up, boys.

- Chillin

I think uva will win.

Not exactly the start UVA was hoping for

10 minutes in and Gardner-Webb on Pace for 88 points against UVA defense?

What on earth is going on?

(W)hoo boy, not a good look for UVA to start. ACC is NOT putting on a good show so far...

What would be the repercussions of a #1 seed UVA losing to a #16 seed 2 years in a row?

Could Bennet stay on as coach? Would it break him? Would he quit coaching?

Not saying it will happen, but my goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    10 minutes in and Gardner-Webb on Pace for 88 points against UVA defense?

What on earth is going on?
    Cause refs are doing their job better.

UVA's defense isn't bad.

Gardner Webb is hitting Everything.

Amazing.

But very early.

This UVA team is a machine and if they can keep their composure and play their game, their system should annihilate Gardner Webb after this shooting cools off.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    UVA looks so tight! GW killing the middle of the UVA defense.