View Poll Results: Who will win the East?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Duke

165 95.93%
  • Michigan State

3 1.74%
  • Louisiana State

2 1.16%
  • Virginia Tech

2 1.16%
  • Mississippi State

0 0%
  • Maryland

0 0%
  • Louisville

0 0%
  • Virginia Commonwealth

0 0%
  • Central Florida

0 0%
  • Minnesota

0 0%
  • Belmont

0 0%
  • Temple

0 0%
  • Liberty

0 0%
  • St. Louis

0 0%
  • Yale

0 0%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think it would gloriously fitting if a program with a reputation of basing its style on “slow white guys shooting threes,” which is of course inaccurate to begin with, wound up winning a title by shooting the lowest three point percentage of any champion in history, led by the most athletic player in history.
    ...any Duke title is gloriously fitting in my book....but that scenario you outlined above would be a delicious irony....

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    This brings up a good question: Can someone remind me what the advent of the Pod System was? I think Jay Bilas alluded to this on air yesterday. Did something happen where they grouped top teams together too early or something that got people up in arms so they created a Pod System?
    I believe Jay was alluding to the 2001 tournament, when in the West Region's first/2nd round grouping in Boise they had Maryland, Georgetown, George Mason and Hampton among the 8 teams playing there (it was the 2/7/10/15 and 3/6/11/14 groups in the West).

There was some beefing that it was expensive (and a disservice to local fans) to send teams so far away in the first round.

The next year (2002) the pod system started for rounds 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And in Charlotte a few years prior (Kyrie's return, and a second-round match with Michigan IIRC) it was the same thing. Full of Carolina fans, essentially a road game.

They should never put big rivals in the same pod. Same would go for UK-Louisville and others.
    2005 I was there.That was a road game.Surrounded by idiot Cheat fans.

JJ said they got booed for walking in a restaurant.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (though I've read the whole thread and didn't see it) but VT has to travel to San Jose for the 1st weekend. I realize I am way older than these college kids but, for me, jet lag is no joke. I do wonder if it might affect the Hokies. Plus, I can't imagine too many VT fans making the trip out west. Watch them not even make it to DC - all this hand wringing for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (though I've read the whole thread and didn't see it) but VT has to travel to San Jose for the 1st weekend. I realize I am way older than these college kids but, for me, jet lag is no joke. I do wonder if it might affect the Hokies. Plus, I can't imagine too many VT fans making the trip out west. Watch them not even make it to DC - all this hand wringing for nothing!
    I like it. Do they know the way from San Jose?

Best article I've read on Zion

From the Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/march-madn...-march-madness

All about the legend that is Zion. No major references to Duke. And the author absolutely hates the hypocrisy that is the NCAA. Fun read
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    From the Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/march-madn...-march-madness

All about the legend that is Zion. No major references to Duke. And the author absolutely hates the hypocrisy that is the NCAA. Fun read
    Thanks for the link. Truly a fun read, and a few great Zion clips.

They have given Duke a tough road to the championship game, especially the East Region. I see Duke facing VCU (not so tough), Va Tech and Mich St to win the East. Maybe they put Mich St in the East to take care of LSU to avoid having a team under investigation from getting to the final 4.

Maybe the Midwest is the next hardest with UNC likely facing Washington (not so tough) but then Auburn and Possibly Kentucky. I see UNC losing to Auburn but that is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    They have given Duke a tough road to the championship game, especially the East Region. I see Duke facing VCU (not so tough), Va Tech and Mich St to win the East. Maybe they put Mich St in the East to take care of LSU to avoid having a team under investigation from getting to the final 4.

Maybe the Midwest is the next hardest with UNC likely facing Washington (not so tough) but then Auburn and Possibly Kentucky. I see UNC losing to Auburn but that is a stretch.
    Louisville could take care of Michigan State - wouldn't discount them just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Louisville could take care of Michigan State - wouldn't discount them just yet.
    On my DBR bracket, that is my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    That never stopped them with respect to Carolina, but I guess there's a double standard.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

My dream scenario includes defeating VT, Gonzaga and UNC to win the national championship ergo this team does not concede bragging rights from the regular season to any other team. By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable, and we beat VT and Gonzaga in our most recent matchups. This 2018-19 team is forever legendary, and rightfully so. Make this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukelogger View Post
    My dream scenario includes defeating VT, Gonzaga and UNC to win the national championship ergo this team does not concede bragging rights from the regular season to any other team. By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable, and we beat VT and Gonzaga in our most recent matchups. This 2018-19 team is forever legendary, and rightfully so. Make this happen!

Would hate to play UNC ever in the NCAAs, let alone the championship game. I would throw up and probably not be able to watch.

GoDuke!

Smile

By beating UNC in the national championship game the bragging rights for this year (especially considering injured players) are not even debatable,
    That's great if my heart survived a Duke Cheats final.

Facing UNC in the finals is what I consider the Armageddon scenario. As the two campuses are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, the nuclear meltdown that would take place at the losing site would certainly consume the victors before they could hold a match to the first bench.

I will say all of the “this ends bragging rights forever” talk is completely foolish. The whole point of a rivalry is to battle over bragging rights. Either it’s a rivalry and the pursuit of bragging rights exists, or it’s not and bragging rights is an afterthought. Now, it would certainly add to the repertoire for either side, but Duke - UNC will be a rivalry at least in my lifetime and this game will not be the end all be all. It will, however, be “the biggest Duke-UNC game ever.” But anyone that thinks this would even put a dent into the banter coming from either side just isn’t very familiar with the relentlessness of this rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDuke2015 View Post
    Would hate to play UNC ever in the NCAAs, let alone the championship game. I would throw up and probably not be able to watch.

GoDuke!
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    That's great if my heart survived a Duke Cheats final.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    Facing UNC in the finals is what I consider the Armageddon scenario. As the two campuses are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, the nuclear meltdown that would take place at the losing site would certainly consume the victors before they could hold a match to the first bench.
    UNC or no UNC, I don't want to play anyone in the finals -- or in the tournament -- that we have played earlier in the season. That is triply true for UNC and doubly true for Virginia. I think our edge in talent is important, and the first encounter with Duke's defense and Zion is likely to be intimidating to any opponent.

Of course, we could have a path to the finals where every opponent after the first two games is someone we have played before -- VT, Louisville, Gonzaga or Texas Tech (or Syracuse or Florida State), Virginia or UNC or Kentucky or Auburn.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Plus, would anyone from Big Ten country travel all the way to DC? :-)
    This is hilarious and needs to be specifically acknowledged!

"The Other MSU"

Essentially no mention of "the other MSU," namely Mississippi State, in this East Region thread. While not an elite team, they are KenPom no. 21 and have had a very solid season:

Wins against the following field of 64(68)teams: Auburn, Cincy, Ole Miss, Wofford, St. Mary's, Florida(and also defeated Clemson handily).

4 of 10 losses were to UK and UT(no shame there)

No real "awful"/"how could that have happened?" type of losses: the "worst" losses were on the road vs. SEC rivals Alabama and South Carolina, and neutral site to Arizona State.

Good mix of talent(freshman big Reggie Perry, a McD A-A/the Weatherspoon brothers, one of whom was a top 5 PG in his HS class/other solid players), experience and youth.

Decent mix of inside/outside scoring and solid shooting stats from all three levels.

Battle tested in the SEC this season(KenPom has SEC at 4th toughest, I'd say the league is possibly better than that).

A coach(Ben Howland)who's been to multiple FFs, though with immensely talented UCLA squads.

If, as many pundits say, Wofford is capable of winning 1-2 games in the NCAAT, then I would venture that Miss State is as well, and could potentially match up well with possible R16 foe VT.

Curious on other posters' impressions of "the other MSU." Thanks.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    There area lot of rumors in Blacksburg that Buzz is on his way out to Texas A&M, as he is from Texas. I wonder how much that will factor into their focus/play.