Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Nailed it. NCSU and Clemson both choked it up vs absolute bottom feeders a few times and didn't make up for it with wins against the top tier.

And in NCSU's case, I can't imagine the committee EVER letting in a bubble team with the absolute dead-last noncon SoS. Just sends the wrong message.
    Yeah, NCSU's non-con absolutely sunk them. Still could have let Clemson in over Baylor/Oklahoma/Washington/Iowa/Ohio State/Mississippi/Seton Hall/ASU/Temple/St. Johns (pick 1, with apologies to Bobby Hurley).

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    People have the right complaint for the wrong reasons.

NO way Tenn should be ahead of MSU on the overall seed line. MSU should have had "first pick" of region among the 2 seeds (and possibly should have displaced the Zags for a 1 seed out west, but I think the committee thinks it's too much work to be prepared with totally different brackets covering all the scenarios of wins/losses of the 3 big games on Sunday (SEC, ACC, B1G). Honestly, they should have 8 brackets ready to go covering all possible outcomes of those 3 games (granted, this wouldn't cover the nuance of blowout vs close game, but would be an upgrade from the laziness we seem to see now).
    This is the right perspective IMHO. The winner of the B1G title game should’ve been the top No. 2 seed and gotten their choice of region, which likely would’ve been the South based on location. I’m guessing the Spartans “bad losses” played a role here, and had Michigan won things might’ve been different since they’re resume is more similar to Tennessee when it comes to losses, but with more quality wins.

Honestly though I think it worked out great for us. Yes, MSU is playing well, but without Langford they are probably the least talented No. 2 seed (yes, I’m being a Michigan homer and overlooking their sweep of us, but Cassius just had our number, unfortunately... I still think Michigan has more talent on the court, Winston is just a transcendent college player that Michigan can’t match right now, and it hurts me to say that). We also match up great with the Sparties because they have no one to guard Zion (Tillman might be able to hold his own for a bit, but Ward and Goins are too slow to keep up with him at all) and Tre matches up nice against Winston. Meanwhile Michigan’s defense is so good that I think we’d have a hard time getting separation from the Wolverines, which leaves the door slightly ajar for an unexpected outcome.

Let the talking heads complain. We got a break on the 2 line, and I get to keep my dreamn of Duke and Michigan in the same final four alive. After a crappy afternoon the selection show perked me up

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I will echo this—I think they will handle Sparty.
    Without their head coach? Tough on LSU players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This is the Selection Committee's ranking of the top 16 teams (click to make larger)

Attachment 9172
    I think the toughest regions are:

1) EAST
    2) SOUTH
    3) MIDWEST
    4) WEST.

But as always it's in the eye of the beholder. I like our chances against our #2 draw(MSU) but LSU and VT are pretty strong. With Zion healthy, we can beat anyone. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Unpopular opinion alert: I think UNC and Duke and UVA are all about equal. UNC is every bit as good as we are, and arguably better. UVA took us to OT in Cameron, and we had a crazy outside shooting day up there to win. Sorry to those who disagree.
    I agree. Z can be breathtaking, and RJ is often majestic, and Tre, Cam, etc. have their great moments, but we are often in a muddled game that can go either way. These other elite teams are really good. The ‘99 and ‘92 teams were more dominant, imho, and were often crushing very good teams.

If anyone is telling the 2 Jays to be provocatively “anti” Duke, it’s not ESPN, it’s their agents or themselves—I’ve watched hours and hours of them, and while they strain to be neutral, it seems obvious that they are Duke fans when they aren’t serving as neutral provocateurs.

Unlike some on here, I'm not that upset with a possible rematch against VT. Zion > Robinson, RJ won't have a stomach bug, and the game would be played on a neutral court.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This is the right perspective IMHO. The winner of the B1G title game should’ve been the top No. 2 seed and gotten their choice of region, which likely would’ve been the South based on location. I’m guessing the Spartans “bad losses” played a role here, and had Michigan won things might’ve been different since they’re resume is more similar to Tennessee when it comes to losses, but with more quality wins.

Honestly though I think it worked out great for us. Yes, MSU is playing well, but without Langford they are probably the least talented No. 2 seed (yes, I’m being a Michigan homer and overlooking their sweep of us, but Cassius just had our number, unfortunately... I still think Michigan has more talent on the court, Winston is just a transcendent college player that Michigan can’t match right now, and it hurts me to say that). We also match up great with the Sparties because they have no one to guard Zion (Tillman might be able to hold his own for a bit, but Ward and Goins are too slow to keep up with him at all) and Tre matches up nice against Winston. Meanwhile Michigan’s defense is so good that I think we’d have a hard time getting separation from the Wolverines, which leaves the door slightly ajar for an unexpected outcome.

Let the talking heads complain. We got a break on the 2 line, and I get to keep my dreamn of Duke and Michigan in the same final four alive. After a crappy afternoon the selection show perked me up
    Appreciate the detailed B1G analysis, but consider trying not to use “we”/“us” in relation to both Duke and Michigan in the same post...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I agree. Z can be breathtaking, and RJ is often majestic, and Tre, Cam, etc. have their great moments, but we are often in a muddled game that can go either way. These other elite teams are really good. The ‘99 and ‘92 teams were more dominant, imho, and were often crushing very good teams.

If anyone is telling the 2 Jays to be provocatively “anti” Duke, it’s not ESPN, it’s their agents or themselves—I’ve watched hours and hours of them, and while they strain to be neutral, it seems obvious that they are Duke fans when they aren’t serving as neutral provocateurs.
    There were very few teams in the history of college basketball as dominant as that 1999 Duke team, championship game notwithstanding.

While I agree that Jason and Jay are Duke fans, I also believe they have a soft spot for Carolina. Pretty sure I remember reading that Jason Williams was a Carolina fan growing up. And it's often been said that the rivalry is a much bigger deal for the fans than the players, who develop friendships in AAU, summer leagues, and pickup games.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Did a little further checking - last CBS game on Sunday is the 5:00 - 7:00 slot. Again, no one will know for sure until late Friday night, but that slot has to be the best guess as the time for the Duke game.
    I'm thinking the first two are more likely. The UVA game is not TruTv fare.

TBD March Madness Live 12:00 pm CBS
    TBD March Madness Live 2:30 pm CBS
    TBD March Madness Live 5:00 pm CBS
    TBD March Madness Live 6:00 pm CBS* (likely TNT, no split screens on CBS)
    TBD March Madness Live 7:00 pm TBS
    TBD March Madness Live 7:30 pm truTV (CBS crossover)
    TBD March Madness Live 8:30 pm TNT
    TBD March Madness Live 9:30 pm TBS

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...thing-else-you

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Appreciate the detailed B1G analysis, but consider trying not to use “we”/“us” in relation to both Duke and Michigan in the same post...
    Haha I try my best, but it slips in every once and a while. Don’t worry, Duke is and always will be clear priority 1!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Unlike some on here, I'm not that upset with a possible rematch against VT. Zion > Robinson, RJ won't have a stomach bug, and the game would be played on a neutral court.
    Yea, but buzz will still find a way to be "on the court" during live action.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Z can be breathtaking, and RJ is often majestic, and Tre, Cam, etc. have their great moments, but we are often in a muddled game that can go either way. These other elite teams are really good. The ‘99 and ‘92 teams were more dominant, imho, and were often crushing very good teams.
    I agree. This year's group is one of the weirdest "great" college teams I can remember: subpar 3 point shooting in an era where the 3 pointer is ascendant, marginal upperclass experience & leadership in high stakes tournament games, extreme top heaviness in terms of scoring, and a rotation that appears even shallower and more inconsistent in terms of defined bench roles than previous K teams. With that said, the top heaviness is rooted in transcendent talent on both ends of the floor, and the connectedness of the team is unique as K has often pointed out.

They're not always dominant, but they always find a way to win. (Gonzaga being the exception with the full squad). I hope and look forward to the team taking a place in the pantheon of great Duke teams, with a more consistent focus applied on the six games that matter the next three weeks, health permitting.

Agree with this too. I think the hate for the 2 Jays on here is over the top, but I understand some of the enmity people on this board have for them based on not only on their bend-over-backward neutrality, but a few of the positions they've taken.

Nevertheless, these guys have put up with a *ton* of anti-Duke nonsense for years from not just fans, but other media members, players and personalities. They do a good job of pushing back, and every indication I've gotten is that they absolutely love Duke, and if the team is fortunate enough to win the final game of the season, they'll be a prominent presence at the post game parties celebrating as hard any member of the Duke staff.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe we can arrange for him to take a charging foul from Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He's no Josh Pastner.

... Remember when he was considered a leading candidate to catch K in wins?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Maybe we can arrange for him to take a charging foul from Zion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He's no Josh Pastner.

... Remember when he was considered a leading candidate to catch K in wins?
    Both good points/ideas.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There were very few teams in the history of college basketball as dominant as that 1999 Duke team, championship game notwithstanding.

While I agree that Jason and Jay are Duke fans, I also believe they have a soft spot for Carolina. Pretty sure I remember reading that Jason Williams was a Carolina fan growing up. And it's often been said that the rivalry is a much bigger deal for the fans than the players, who develop friendships in AAU, summer leagues, and pickup games.
    Not only what u posted, but they often party together, or did in my days at Duke. Used to meet up with kerlina players at Four Corners in Chapel Hell, back in the Jordan, Perkins, Worthy days.

LOL @ NC State getting the snub citing our lack of Q1 wins...

9 games against the top 20 NET and we only won one. I'll say the message has been received loud and clear by the committee. Our schedule was too hard, we need to make our scheduler easier next year. Fewer games against the top 20.

Interesting trivia. We had as many games against #1 seeds in the NCAAT (5) as Belmont did against the Top 100 (5)...but I guess, "reasons".

I agree...

Of course they are Duke fans and if they went on record always predicting that Duke would win they would probably lose their job FAST! These guys are smart...They went to Duke!!!! Come on do we really think they should brag on Duke in the job that they have?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I live in "freakin' Tulsa" (quote from a front page article), a place apparently so bad there is pity for the fans and teams of Arizona State and St. John's to have to come here, but will be in Vegas for a bachelor party with several Sparty grads. They are livid. It should be an interesting week. If Duke loses to any of those teams in their region, it's on the team not the tournament selection committee.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    LSU is the scariest team in the bracket.
    I second this!

Not ecstatic about virginia tech with justin robinson back either..they are probably a 2/3 seed with him in 100% condition. However, we probably will have revenge on our minds this time around. Same with the potential matchup against the zags. This team will be on a mission to run it back against vtech in which we were without Zion.