Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I know you guys are saying Quinn or Tyus or Luke because of the three-point shooting ability. But we’re getting *major* minutes from Javin and Vrankovic this upcoming tournament.

If that’s Jahlil Okafor instead? Night night, tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    I think Gary Trent, Jr would have fit in nicely
    Nice idea but to play him significant minutes, someone has to sit. Who would that be? Javin? But them we lose inside presence. Cam? But then we would lose on defense. Maybe Carter would fit our needs better but then he didn't have what you would want for a 3 point shooter. Ingram? He could shoot the 3 and score around the basket but again might have to go in for Cam and play defense well enough to matter. Quinn as a second guard who could defend and also hit the 3? Maybe he would perform the Goldwire role but with a scorinng threat.

Bagley had the second best freshman year he would make us unguardable because he can kind of shoot sometimes.

The realistic answers, of players who might have stayed are Trent, Jackson, or Kennard.

I'd take Trent.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Was Carter even a starter much of the year? I didn’t think he was. I apologize if I’m mistaken.

Frankly, I am confused as to some of these selections. This is one of the worst three-point shooting teams in all of college basketball. It is the main reason pointed to over and over again on a daily basis by DBR posters, by tv and radio basketball commentators, and by ex-coaches as to why Duke might not win the championship even though they are regarded as having the most collective talent. How does Carter help remedy this?
    Are you asking if Wendell Carter was a starter at Duke? I can't tell if I'm misunderstanding you or if you're joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Are you asking if Wendell Carter was a starter at Duke? I can't tell if I'm misunderstanding you or if you're joking.
    I think Carter might actually be the right answer he. He can shoot the three, score in the paint, and he's the best defender big that we've had since Sheldon.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

This is one of the worst three-point shooting teams in all of college basketball. It is the main reason pointed to over and over again on a daily basis by DBR posters, by tv and radio basketball commentators, and by ex-coaches as to why Duke might not win the championship even though they are regarded as having the most collective talent. How does Carter help remedy this?
    I would lean toward picking a low usage two-way guard/wing shooter like Winslow or Matt Jones for this hypothetical, but Carter is not as bad a choice as you make it sound.

We frequently play lineups with a 5 (either Javin or Bolden) alongside Zion, and Carter would elevate our defense to even higher levels and allow Zion more range to roam as a free safety. Carter was a 41% 3 point shooter and would give our high-low options on offense more space and more juice, as defenders sagging on Zion or playing the driving lanes from other teammates would give Carter plenty of good outside looks.

Watch the ACC tournament games and look how much Javin and Vrank's defenders are sagging off of them -- at times, it looks like they could walk right into an open 10 to 15 footer, that's how little respect they're getting. Carter would help a lot with that. (On a side note, that's why the coaching staff was encouraging Bolden to take the occasional 3 pointer early in the season -- he's a good shooter in practice and the spacing benefits would have been immense if he had the ability to make them in games).

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think Carter might actually be the right answer he. He can shoot the three, score in the paint, and he's the best defender big that we've had since Sheldon.
    Carter was a great defender... as long as he was the anchor in a zone defense. He was awful in man-to-man whenever he was asked to step out more than 10 feet from the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Nah, I wasn’t joking. It’s just that I have trouble remembering certain details about these OAD-dominate teams. I knew Carter started quite a few games, but I also thought there were a significant number of games he didn’t start. Anyway, these OAD guys are here for a minute and then gone. It’s all a bit of a blur to me at this point.

Nah, I wasn’t joking. It’s just that I have trouble remembering certain details about these OAD-dominate teams. They are here for a minute and then gone. It’s all a blur at a certain point.
    Ah. Well, yeah, Carter started every game that season.

Luke Kennard, who would be a Senior this year had he stayed. His 3pt shooting would put this team in the stratosphere. Having Luke would probably mean either Cam or RJ wouldn't have come to Duke. Still, Sr. Luke >>>RJ and >>>>>>>>>>Cam

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm actually going with Matt Jones here.
    Is it April Fool’s Day?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Is it April Fool’s Day?
    I don't understand why this is such a controversial pick. He fits the team's holes more than any other player I can think of from those 4 years. He was a career 37% 3 point shooter and arguably the best perimeter defender on any of those 4 teams. Justise Winslow and Quinn Cook are also good picks, but I just think Matt has the best mix of shooting and defense to go with not ever needing the ball. The team is missing a reliable role player, it absolutely doesn't want another ball dominant player.

Ryan Kelly might actually be a pretty good pick as well. He was a really good defender when he was fully healthy, and obviously compliments Zion beautifully in the front court.

Luke Kennard... His defense wasn't great but on this team it wouldn't matter to much. Especially if he was in the court with Zion, Tre and Bolden. I'd take his 3pt shot to sacrifice some defense on the other end.

When you add one of these players you’re sending someone to the bench. So you’re swapping Kennard with Cam? I think that’s a net-negative when you talk about how much better Cam is on defense.

When you switch Javin out with Jahlil Okafor, you get so. Much. Better.

I don't understand why this is such a controversial pick. He fits the team's holes more than any other player I can think of from those 4 years. He was a career 37% 3 point shooter and arguably the best perimeter defender on any of those 4 teams. Justise Winslow and Quinn Cook are also good picks, but I just think Matt has the best mix of shooting and defense to go with not ever needing the ball. The team is missing a reliable role player, it absolutely doesn't want another ball dominant player.

Ryan Kelly might actually be a pretty good pick as well. He was a really good defender when he was fully healthy, and obviously compliments Zion beautifully in the front court.
    Ryan Kelly is a fine answer if you disregard the question. If we’re allowed to do that, I change my answer to JJ Redick or Elton Brand. Or Jason Williams.

Just to be sure I understand, you think Duke would be better this year if they had Matt Jones — who as a senior averaged 7 points, 3 rebs, 2 assists, 1.5 steals and shot 34% from three — instead of Luke Kennard — who averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1 steal and shot 44% from three? Not to mention the fact that Kennard was First Team All-ACC and should have been the ACC Player of the Year. I mean, Matt was a pretty good college player, but he was never in Luke’s class.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    When you add one of these players you’re sending someone to the bench. So you’re swapping Kennard with Cam? I think that’s a net-negative when you talk about how much better Cam is on defense..
    Wait...so you actually think Cam Reddish has been a better player at Duke than Luke Kennard? This is getting very very confusing.

Just to be sure I understand, you think Duke would be better this year if they had Matt Jones — who as a senior averaged 7 points, 3 rebs, 2 assists, 1.5 steals and shot 34% from three — instead of Luke Kennard — who averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1 steal and shot 44% from three? Not to mention the fact that Kennard was First Team All-ACC and should have been the ACC Player of the Year. I mean, Matt was a pretty good college player, but he was never in Luke’s class.
    Yes, and if you had actually read any of my posts, you would understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Ryan Kelly is a fine answer if you disregard the question. If we’re allowed to do that, I change my answer to JJ Redick or Elton Brand. Or Jason Williams.
    Oops, you're right, he was earlier than 2015.

Like I said, Shane Battier would be the perfect guy, but he fits on any team. He's the greatest 3&D player Duke's ever had.

Yes, and if you had actually read any of my posts, you would understand why.

Oops, you're right, he was earlier than 2015.

Like I said, Shane Battier would be the perfect guy, but he fits on any team. He's the greatest 3&D player Duke's ever had.
    With all due respect, 3-point shooting is by far the biggest weakness of this team and Kennard shot 44% from 3-point range. Forty freaking four percent!! Can you imagine what a shooter like that could do for this offense? They would be virtually unstoppable. And Luke could do a lot more than shoot from outside. As an FYI he was a career 87% free throw shooter, and free throw shooting happens to be Duke’s second biggest weakness. All by himself Kennard shores up this team’s two biggest areas of deficiency.

With all due respect, 3-point shooting is by far the biggest weakness of this team and Kennard shot 44% from 3-point range. Forty freaking four percent!! Can you imagine what a shooter like that could do for this offense? They would be virtually unstoppable. And Luke could do a lot more than shoot from outside. As an FYI he was a career 87% free throw shooter, and free throw shooting happens to be Duke’s second biggest weakness. All by himself Kennard shores up this team’s two biggest areas of deficiency.
    I understand that Luke Kennard is a much more talented player than Matt Jones. It's not about that. It's about the fit . . .

I'm not saying either of us are right or wrong, no one will ever know that. I was just explaining my reasoning. Teams either come together or they don't. We had by far the most talented team in the country last year. They didn't win any post season championships.

You don't get to just add Luke's 20 points to our total. That's touches and shots that Zion, RJ, Cam, and Tre are no longer getting. Sometimes, players aren't happy if they don't get the number of touches they need. It's too many mouths to feed.

Again, look at the Celtics. Are they less talented than the Bucks? Hell no. They have 10 times the offensive firepower of the Bucks. But the Bucks are a coherent unit where everyone understands their role and is happy playing that role. You have your primary and secondary guys (Giannis and Middleton, who would be Zion and RJ in my analogy), and a bunch of dudes who are just role players who play defense and space the floor.

This is already the most talented Duke team ever. The only problem is, we have stars, but we don't have consistently great glue guys. Jack has been great at times, Javin, Bolden, Alex, and Jordan have all had their moments. But we haven't had the 5th guy who we absolutely trust in crunch time.

I just think Matt would happily play that role, score 7 points a game, play incredible defense, and let Zion and RJ do their thing. Once you introduce Luke to the equation, he demands touches. That fundamentally changes the team, maybe for the better, maybe not. I'm pretty happy with this team as-is. It's the best, most exciting team we've had in a long time. Also, I'm not sure what Cam's role on the team would be with Luke on the roster, that would be really tough for him.
    Last edited by kAzE; 03-18-2019 at 02:14 AM.