Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Nah, basketball isn’t about throwing 5 guys who have the most talent together. The pieces need to fit. The Celtics this year are a great example of a team who has too many guys who need the ball to mesh well together. You need guys who are willing to do the dirty work, guys who are okay with not getting many touches or shots.

This team has 3 offensive stars already. Maybe 4 if you count Tre. It needs a glue guy who can hit shots and defend.
    Winslow is the man 'cause Jeff Mullins is too old.

This team lacks 3 point shooting and is weak FT shooting.

The best player from this past period? It would be Tatum or Bagley.

But to meet the needs above? Allen, Kennard, Tyus Jones or Cook. Given those players, I'd take Allen.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Christian

I understood the OP to mean any player that COULD have been on this team if they hadn’t left early or transferred. If those are the criteria, then I think I go with Luke. I’m assuming he would’ve improved as a defender by his senior season. He is deadly as a spot up shooter and doesn’t need the ball in his hands to get his points. But he’s also a capable playmaker and ball handler that would be able to get the rest of the team involved. I might also go with Wendell if we’re unsure that Marques is be fully fit for the postseason run.

It’s hard to say no to a Marvin-Zion front court, but defense wasn’t a strong suit for Marvin and there are only so many shots to go around.

If we can add any player since the ‘15 season, I’m DEFINITELY going with Justise. The college version of Justise was a good three point shooter and a ridiculously versatile defender. He also doesn’t need the ball in his hands to contribute, which is essential since RJ and Zion are still taking the most shots. His athleticism would fit in perfectly with this yesr’s defensive schemes. And the fact that he was a perfect small-ball 4 means that this team could run a Death Lineup of Tre-RJ-Cam-Justise-Zion. Wow. That would be incredible to see. Being able to play that lineup would also mitigate not having Marques in the early rounds.

Jefferson !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    This team has 3 offensive stars already. Maybe 4 if you count Tre. It needs a glue guy who can hit shots and defend.
    Cam is very far from being an “offensive star.” Tre is a good passer, very good ball handler, strong leader and great defender, but is nowhere near being an offensive star as far as shooting and scoring ability. Teams leave him wide open just begging him to shoot. That is not what is done to an offensive star.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Christian
    Oops wrong era. I’d take Bagley.

Winslow a close 2nd.

I’ll go with Gary Trent Jr., because a) he is one of the only players mentioned above who actually *could* have been on this year’s team, b) his shooting would fill a desperate need this year, and c) it might have been a good move for him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    I’ll go with Gary Trent Jr., because a) he is one of the only players mentioned above who actually *could* have been on this year’s team, b) his shooting would fill a desperate need this year, and c) it might have been a good move for him personally.
    I've been thinking lately about Trent on this team. I think you're right that he would have played himself into a 1st round pick if he had stayed. My only worry is that he wouldn't mesh well on defense because it's such a strength this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The Rock was famous for his various catch phrases in the WWE and one of his most popular was, "Know your damn role." I'd say...
    [in best Rock voice] It doesn’t matter what you would say! [end Rock voice].

For the topic at hand, I think I’d take Tyus as the best balance between clutch shot maker who doesn’t compromise the team defense. Grayson would probably be 2nd on my list.

PS - I bet the Rock would love to get in on a pie bet. The Rock loves pie.

Luke Kennard. Easy. It’s not even close. He was a fantastic shooter. And he wasn’t a liability defensively either. In fact, he had a better defensive rating than the ACC player of the year Justin Jackson (should have been Luke btw).

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    This team lacks 3 point shooting and is weak FT shooting.

The best player from this past period? It would be Tatum or Bagley.

But to meet the needs above? Allen, Kennard, Tyus Jones or Cook. Given those players, I'd take Allen.

9F
    I re-read the OP. For a player that could still be playing, I'd take Kennard.
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Luke Kennard. Easy. It’s not even close. He was a fantastic shooter. And he wasn’t a liability defensively either. In fact, he had a better defensive rating than the ACC player of the year Justin Jackson (should have been Luke btw).
    Absolutely Luke should have been the ACC Player of the Year. He was a significantly better player than Jackson.

Justice would cement a ferocious press defense no doubt. But who would be the best replacement player. I’d lean to Wendell Carter to fill the donut hole.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Justice would cement a ferocious press defense no doubt. But who would be the best replacement player. I’d lean to Wendell Carter to fill the donut hole.
    Was Carter even a starter much of the year? I didn’t think he was. I apologize if I’m mistaken.

Frankly, I am confused as to some of these selections. This is one of the worst three-point shooting teams in all of college basketball. It is the main reason pointed to over and over again on a daily basis by DBR posters, by tv and radio basketball commentators, and by ex-coaches as to why Duke might not win the championship even though they are regarded as having the most collective talent. How does Carter help remedy this?
    Last edited by Steven43; 03-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.

I thought about starting this thread a few days ago, but being new to the board I didn’t know how well it would go over and I didn’t want my first “started thread” to be a flop. Looks like I missed my opportunity!

To me it is between Kennard and Frank Jackson. Luke because of his deadly accuracy from three. Frank because I just liked him...he really developed well during his year and I think he would’ve been very versatile by now. Shooting/slashing/driving were all things that he seemed to do well and I think he could really open things up for this years team.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Winslow is the man 'cause Jeff Mullins is too old.
    Indoor. I was going to go with Verga because we need an outside threat.

Weakest is the 5. Best Replacement is Carter. This is not hard folks.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Weakest is the 5. Best Replacement is Carter. This is not hard folks.
    I loved Carter as a player. But this isn’t the 80’s. Offenses and defenses don’t start with a skilled big man anymore. Great teams need shooters. We already score most of our points in the paint (see 50 vs. the cheats). And we’re doing just fine defensively in the paint with the likes of Zion, Javin, Marques, and Jack.

This team needs a shooter that doesn’t hurt the defense. Luke fits that role better than anybody between 15-18.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I loved Carter as a player. But this isn’t the 80’s. Offenses and defenses don’t start with a skilled big man anymore. Great teams need shooters. We already score most of our points in the paint (see 50 vs. the cheats). And we’re doing just fine defensively in the paint with the likes of Zion, Javin, Marques, and Jack.

This team needs a shooter that doesn’t hurt the defense. Luke fits that role better than anybody between 15-18.
    Thank you