Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Peter Pan stakes will run this weekend at Belmont.
    A couple of hard luck ponies, who had traffic problems, from stakes races earlier in the season will be running in a 5 horse field.
    Hopefully high quality jockeys can avoid traffic problems in a small field, but it has been known to happen; bone heads happen.

Here are the Past Performances, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=533016

I expect one or two horses will come out of the Preakness, along with the Peter Pan winner and some of the close up losers from the KYD, to make an interesting Belmont.
    The Preakness usually gets all of the Triple Crown buzz off of the Derby.
    This year, it is getting drech. Too bad, the track is in big need of repair and there is some talk of moving the Preakness to a nearby track.

Larry
    DevilHorse

After what went down at the Derby, I am having trouble getting into it now. No chance for a TC Champ.

What? You won't be ready for the Maximum Security Revenge Tour?
    Apparently the best horse of this generation (counted as each year).
    Where does he go to get his good name back?
    He can only race where his handlers put him in.
    He will be the "buzz" horse, even as the Preakness and Belmont are run.
    Omaha Beach will return too... Later.
    This is setting up for as contentious a summer/fall as we've had in a 3YO division.

Unless you're married to the Triple Crown only (which usually put the division race to bed by the 2nd week in June) this is better for the people who are in the game.
    Between American Pharoah and Justify, I've had my fill of mediocre royalty (win everything, but times maybe not that impressive, and supporting cast can't be remembered.
    Too much attrition before the Derby is no good either.

The build-up to the Derby is great. Let's have similar build-up to some other races.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Ok, Larry. I will go with War To Will, and Alwaysmining. Bourbon War will be my third choice. If they wanted revenge so bad, they should have entered the horse in the Preakness, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Ok, Larry. I will go with War To Will, and Alwaysmining. Bourbon War will be my third choice. If they wanted revenge so bad, they should have entered the horse in the Preakness, wouldn't you say?
    I don't know what revenge looks like in some people's minds. It might be winning a horse race; it might be 'not' entering your horse in a popular race.
    Horse people can be petty sometimes, there are many heads making decisions, and the condition of the horse is not always shared with the public.
    The Preakness will be a good betting race because of who is not there.
    No matter the result, the yacking will start.

The Belmont is a different animal.
    New shooters show up. Usually a smaller field.
    Horses racing at a distance they will never run at again.
    Rested horses vs. fresh ones.
    Choices to take a rest and prepare for a later campaign or take a shot at a huge purse and immortality.
    The Belmont is also looked at as a breeder's race, so there are some points in that favor (although I can think of some winners that I never see in pedigrees).
    My first Belmont was won by Avatar with Willie Shoemaker; I think his sire line died before that race.

Larry
    DevilHorse

A tribute to the Greatest Preakness by the greatest horse. Secretariat's record run set to Superman music. Just stirs the soul. Watch THE MOVE!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embbgF79IOo

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    A tribute to the Greatest Preakness by the greatest horse. Secretariat's record run set to Superman music. Just stirs the soul. Watch THE MOVE!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embbgF79IOo
    Fun! Thanks!

-jk

OK, now that we know who is in/out, and the relative weather..(20% precipitation probability tomorrow).
    No Pletcher horses are forecast.

It looks like there are a couple of front-runners, which means that a fast pace is likely and a front runner won't win.
    Alwaysmining, Warrior's Charge, maybe Anothertwistoffate will go to the front.
    If these horses aren't on the front, they don't win. And only one can be on the front.
    This will set up for the stalkers.
    Improbable has seconditis.
    War Of Will, Owendale, and Bourbon War look like they will be coming from off the pace in a 13 horse field.
    Win Win Win, Bodexpress, Signalman, LaughingFox, Everfast, and MarketKing will be providing traffice for the above horses.

I would pick a War Of Will/Owendale exacta box, with a fading Anothertwistoffate to round out any Trifecta.

Here are the PPs, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=2099760

Larry
    DevilHorse

I'm going with Bourbon War, just on principle.

Pimlico was fast yesterday. Covfefe broke the 6f record in 1:07.3. Other stakes were in better than average times.
    Horses stalking the pace will be in a good spot.

Larry
    DevilHorse

War Of Will, like I said. lol That makes 4 of five picks for me in the TRC last two years..Yay, me!.lol

I was kind of hoping the horse without a rider would come in first. Just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I was kind of hoping the horse without a rider would come in first. Just for the heck of it.

Me too! Like what if he starts the Belmont with no jockey. So boss. The other horses follow him to freedom after the Preakness. Regarded as a pivotal figure in their history, in horse lore, he is the father of a new age.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You do realize he had a slight weight advantage that would have disqualified him at the post race weigh-in. Oops, no jockey to weigh..
    A second penalty might be assessed for running 1 1/4 miles. He was so wide in the turns, he must have run that far..

Larry
    DevilHorse