Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final AP Poll Mirrors NCAA Seeds

Here's the link.

Amazing convergence of seeds and rankings for the final AP poll. Not only are the rankings of 1-4 congruent (Duke, UVa, UNC, Gonzaga), but 5-8 are also the four #2 seeds. The first deviation is that fourth-seeded Florida State showed up at #10, while third-seeded Purdue was #13.

For the record Duke received 58 of 63 first-place votes; Virginia got five and Gonzaga one.

Is this a case of "life imitates art," in that the voting came after the seeds were announced? BTW, who is Art?

Moreover, we get to hang a banner for being #1 in the Final AP Poll plus another for being ACC Champions. I hope they use fireproof fabric -- with all the laundry in the rafters, Cameron is a fire hazard.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's the link.

Amazing convergence of seeds and rankings for the final AP poll. Not only are the rankings of 1-4 congruent (Duke, UVa, UNC, Gonzaga), but 5-8 are also the four #2 seeds. The first deviation is that fourth-seeded Florida State showed up at #10, while third-seeded Purdue was #13.

For the record Duke received 58 of 63 first-place votes; Virginia got five and Gonzaga one.

Is this a case of "life imitates art," in that the voting came after the seeds were announced? BTW, who is Art?

Moreover, we get to hang a banner for being #1 in the Final AP Poll plus another for being ACC Champions. I hope they use fireproof fabric -- with all the laundry in the rafters, Cameron is a fire hazard.
    Do we hang banners for #1 in the AP poll? I can't recall seeing that, but I may have just missed it among the sea of ACC tournament/Final Four banners.

Does anyone know if the final AP poll has ever had 3 teams from the same conference at 1-2-3? I know conferences have landed 3 #1 seeds in the past but I don't think we have ever seen a single conference dominate the top of the polls the way the ACC is right now.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

# 1 in Coaches poll today as well - final one there April 9th

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...kings/coaches/

Polls schmoles. If Duke doesn't win the natty, being #1 at the end of the season will mean little to nothing.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Do we hang banners for #1 in the AP poll? I can't recall seeing that, but I may have just missed it among the sea of ACC tournament/Final Four banners.
    I'm hoping for an answer on this question as well. I'm picturing the banners in my mind and I don't recall any men's banners for it, but I think we might hang a couple for the women (e.g. 04-05, 06-07). I am probably just inventing this recollection, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    yes. they're over on the duke bench side before the early final 4 banners.

Also note that the final USA today poll winner is always the national champion, so the women's banners for the same are wrong, as Uconn won the title in 2004.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yes. they're over on the duke bench side before the early final 4 banners.

Also note that the final USA today poll winner is always the national champion, so the women's banners for the same are wrong, as Uconn won the title in 2004.
    Aha, I can't see those from where I sit so that explains it.

Has...anyone mentioned the incorrect banner to anyone in the sports department? Seems like a weird mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's the link.

The "new math" methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The "new math" methinks.
    Yeah, I overlooked the Gonzaga vote at first glance.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I can't recall that particular banner and don't see it in your picture, but are you sure it specifies the USA Today Coaches' poll? Duke was the leader in the final AP media poll taken that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I can't recall that particular banner and don't see it in your picture, but are you sure it specifies the USA Today Coaches' poll? Duke was the leader in the final AP media poll taken that year.
    yes. there are two banners behind the scoreboard for 2003 and 2004, more clearly visible in this picture:

Edit: it's the 2003 banner, not 2004. Uconn still won. The banner says "USA today women's final basketball ranking" The other banner says "AP final basketball ranking". It's more clearly seen

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...A_EMBED_V2=YES

if you scroll over a couple pics.

It should also be noted that the banner for the final AP poll 2005 is missing, as duke was #1 in that poll.
    Last edited by uh_no; 03-18-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    1200. DDMF.

Edit: it's the 2003 banner, not 2004. Uconn still won. The banner says "USA today women's final basketball ranking" The other banner says "AP final basketball ranking".
    I'm guessing they are taking credit for the final USA Today poll taken prior to the tournament in 2003, in which Duke was, indeed, #1 (UConn was #1 in the final AP poll that year). That seems reasonable, since the final USA Today "poll" has no independent meaning, but is just a recitation of the actual results. Duke was #1 in both polls after the season but before the tourney in 2004.

It should also be noted that the banner for the final AP poll 2005 is missing, as duke was #1 in that poll.
    Duke was #1 early in conference play, but not by the end of the season. Stanford led both polls at the end of the 2004-2005 season, and by that point Duke was an also-ran at #7 (AP) or #8 (USA Today), thanks to regular season losses to the group down the road, and an ACC Tournament loss to Maryland (to whom we lost again in the Big Dance).

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

Duke was #1 early in conference play, but not by the end of the season. Stanford led both polls at the end of the 2004-2005 season, and by that point Duke was an also-ran at #7 (AP) or #8 (USA Today), thanks to regular season losses to the group down the road, and an ACC Tournament loss to Maryland (to whom we lost again in the Big Dance).
    that's not hte story espn tells?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...gs/_/year/2005

but you're right, it seems screwed up.
    1200. DDMF.

that's not hte story espn tells?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...gs/_/year/2005

but you're right, it seems screwed up.
    The link is wrong for some reason. The correct season-end polls are here:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...5/seasontype/2

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    # 1 in Coaches poll today as well - final one there April 9th

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...kings/coaches/
    Did you see in the coaches poll, Arizona State is like the 5 highest "also receiving votes". That does not at all correlate with the bracket

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Does anyone know if the final AP poll has ever had 3 teams from the same conference at 1-2-3? I know conferences have landed 3 #1 seeds in the past but I don't think we have ever seen a single conference dominate the top of the polls the way the ACC is right now.
    I don't know the answer but I suspect it requires a certain confluence of factors for this to happen. This year in the ACC the top teams were very strong, but the other important thing is that the lower teams were quite weak. If the conference had been more balanced, it stands to reason that the top teams might have incurred more losses; in which case the ratings would have dropped.

The Big East got three of the four one seeds about a decade ago, but I don't recall whether the three teams from the Big East were actually rated 1, 2, and 3.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In 2009 Louisville, Pitt, UConn, and the heels got #1 seeds, so three from the Big East at the time.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    In 2009 Louisville, Pitt, UConn, and the heels got #1 seeds, so three from the Big East at the time.
    At second glance I don't think I answered the question. Those were the #1seeds, but I am not sure about their poll positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    At second glance I don't think I answered the question. Those were the #1seeds, but I am not sure about their poll positions.
    2/3/5

The real problem was that pitt and uconn were widely regarded as two of the best teams in the country...and then louisville won the BE regular season AND tournament.

I still believe that had jerome dyson not gotten hurt, uconn would have been able to take it to MSU...and it would have been hard to put up a worse fight against UNC.
    1200. DDMF.