Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I don't think we should ever EXPECT a good game from Cam, at this point. Anything we get from him is gravy.
    Unfortunately, this is how I feel as well. Zion and RJ generate our points. If Tre scores 10, great! If Cam scores 15, we win.

He’s a turnover machine at this point. Defensively, he’s great. But that offensive game needs tons of help.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I had a feeling this game was going to go down to the wire. Just didn’t know it would be the Goldwire! Did you see that his Nike swooshes are gold? Nice.

One thing that I don't think that has been mentioned. On one of Zion's made baskets, one of the cheat players pushed him in the back and Zion fell down. The cheats then ran the ball down court and scored. I believe that's the most upset I've seen Zion and I can't blame him. Of course no foul was called on the legendary cheaters. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    One thing that I don't think that has been mentioned. On one of Zion's made baskets, one of the cheat players pushed him in the back and Zion fell down. The cheats then ran the ball down court and scored. I believe that's the most upset I've seen Zion and I can't blame him. Of course no foul was called on the legendary cheaters. GoDuke!
    But that never happened - I know this cause Bilas never mentioned a push or foul on Cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by jjc92 View Post
    After watching the game I’m not really sure why the ball doesn’t go inside to Williamson or another post player, every time on offense. We had a 6 point lead and then turned the ball over on three straight possessions. I’d rather take my chances getting the ball inside and kicking it out to open shooters, rather then Cam or Rj take wild threes or initiate the offense.
    Yup, we went some long stretches without trying to get him the ball, couldn't fathom why (happy to get the kick outs as you say)...hollering at the TV did me no good whatsoever...

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It is pretty apparent that he wants to win. The kid is fearless. He is not a physical freak like Zion and he is not a defensive savant- but his overall game is as good as and Freshman we have seen at Duke. He is the center of much of the good and bad things that happen on the court because he is never out of the game. I think he takes some plays off because he is wearing down at this point of the season but does not want to show it.
    Furthermore, one has to concede that Williams played some very good defense on RJ last night, definitely caused him some problems. On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was wrong:

We shot 5-20 (25%) and won. We also shot under 50% overall. Carolina out rebounded us and committed less turnovers but shot worse than we did. In the final analysis, the only stat that matters is the score.
    Of, course, Carolina shot 4-26 (15.4 percent), including 1-12 in the second half.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yup, we went some long stretches without trying to get him the ball, couldn't fathom why (happy to get the kick outs as you say)...hollering at the TV did me no good whatsoever...
    Wasnt it because there was just no room. UNC just packed it in the middle...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

surprising how much of the talk about this game--before, during, and post--keeps referring to duke as being "back at full strength". apparently missing your starting center counts for nothing these days.

Also, I noted in the in-game thread that there were four possessions pretty quickly (out of 6 or 7?) where they called UNC on rebounding fouls. I feel this makes up for the dubious charge calls. I *never* see Tar Heels called for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He has plenty of desire. He also hit some big shots- that pull up three being one. RJ is not a perfect player but he is really good and I never question his desire to win. If you want to call out anyone it is Cam for all the unforced TO’s. He has played well against UNC but not tonight. I am sure UNC fans also get frustrated by Little- who can follow a good play with a bad one. Great win- but tomorrow is a gut check. Duke will need a few unexpected folks to step up like tonight. I think Baker is getting in tomorrow - I think this is the game.
    I'll tell you what one problem is --"bogus charging calls." We need to get out of ACC games and into some games against different teams and different officials. The ACC referees are spring-loaded to call a charge on anyone wearing a Duke uniform -- esp., RJ, Cam and Tre -- three of our four best players. What horse hockey! Of course, no one dares call a charge on Zion!

Yeah, we'll see the same officials again, but it will be a different milieu.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Furthermore, one has to concede that Williams played some very good defense on RJ last night, definitely caused him some problems. On to the next one...
    I thought RJ had a good offensive game and that was with one of the best defenders(Williams) hounding him all night. His line wasn't bad: 15 points, 8 rebounds, 7 asts and 3 turnovers. He really played hard on offense. It was on defense that I think he could have played better. I think Williams got in his head and it carried over to his defense. I hope all the guys give it their all tonight, because we'll need it against a hot team that plays physical. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Also, I noted in the in-game thread that there were four possessions pretty quickly (out of 6 or 7?) where they called UNC on rebounding fouls. I feel this makes up for the dubious charge calls. I *never* see Tar Heels called for that.
    I just rewatched the game, and I noted that there were about four "questionable" block/charge calls, but they were split evenly between the teams, so the ref(s) were calling it consistently at least. Overall, I thought it was actually the best ref'ed game I've seen in a while. The calls were consistent, they didn't cause any major controversy and they didn't interfere with the game flow and the game's physicality never got out of hand. I'd be very happy to see the same crew in further games.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I'll tell you what one problem is --"bogus charging calls." We need to get out of ACC games and into some games against different teams and different officials. The ACC referees are spring-loaded to call a charge on anyone wearing a Duke uniform -- esp., RJ, Cam and Tre -- three of our four best players. What horse hockey! Of course, no one dares call a charge on Zion!

Yeah, we'll see the same officials again, but it will be a different milieu.
    I completely agree with you about the charging calls. Even on replays it's often hard to see why the whistle was blown. Refs do get a certain mindset after a while, especially if they have officiated the same players multiple times. The ref starts to anticipate a call before the action happens. For example, "Here goes Reddish to the hoop. Watch for the shoulder - there it is! My call."

Well now that Ol'Roy has had some time to think things over, I wonder if he's started to second guess some of his decisions from last night.

1. Why didn't he try posting up Cam Johnson on Goldwire? It seems like it happened only once and Johnson scored easily over Jordan. I don't know if that was a planned play or just happened in the flow of things.

2. Why Nassir Little instead of Huffman or Manley? We've all heard his reasoning from the press conference, but does he regret thinking Little's quickness would offset Zion's power? Huffman or Manley could have offered more resistance to Zion down low and wouldn't have been discarded like Little and Maye were.

3. That last possession. Again, he offered his reasoning at the presser, but he's burnt us with set plays out of time outs the past two games. Do you think he'd like to have a do over on that sequence? Especially considering he had two timeouts in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I just rewatched the game, and I noted that there were about four "questionable" block/charge calls, but they were split evenly between the teams, so the ref(s) were calling it consistently at least. Overall, I thought it was actually the best ref'ed game I've seen in a while. The calls were consistent, they didn't cause any major controversy and they didn't interfere with the game flow and the game's physicality never got out of hand. I'd be very happy to see the same crew in further games.
    Agreed. Better than most.

Just think about last night's game versus the game in the Dean's Myth center and the differences immediately become glaring.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Since the cheats got sent home early any chance they will take advantage and go to class.Seeeeeyaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Since the cheats got sent home early any chance they will take advantage and go to class.Seeeeeyaaaa
    In my opinion, the Heels look like they haven't gone to class since the UofL debacle.

Heckuva game. One of the stats at the bottom of the screen really surprised me to the point that I wonder if I read it right. UNC had not beat us 3 straight in any season since the 75-76 season..I believe the last time we beat them 3 straight in a season was 2002. Also 99 and 88 off the top of my head.

So glad we avoided the dreaded 3 sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But that never happened - I know this cause Bilas never mentioned a push or foul on Cheats.
    Also, at about the 6:30 mark when Javin was underneath & missed everything on his shot - he was fouled from behind by Eyebrow boy. All Jay has to say is “point blank” (miss). No mention of the body foul that knocked Javin off balance...