Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Yes he did. He loves Colby’s hair. In case you didn’t know.
    Colby looks like Sideshow Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    That was probably the most amazing 10 seconds of the game. UNC's speed down the court after Zion's reverse was shockingly efficient
    I think this was the play that after Zion scored, Brooks pushed Z in the back and he fell. This helped the cheats to run the ball back down the court and score. Zion was really upset. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Can't spork you as I've 'given out too much reputation comments over the past 24 hours'...seriously?...
    Oh, and here is a virtual Spork!
    JStuart (why do we put up with this idiotic reputation system, anyway?)
    I have same question every time I come on here.

But back to the game - in last couple games Cam’s shot has looked good and in rhythm when K calls a play for him. Otherwise his offense appears paralyzed by indecisiveness, like his mind is a big ‘soup of hoping’ he plays better. He’s even made comments to that effect - that he prays to play better. Nothing wrong with that but he seems like would benefit from being given very specific goals for each game to help sharpen his focus. Like “this game my main focus will be on being strong in possession” or “this game I will focus on getting my feet set for outside shots.” The specific goal doesn’t matter - it’s just there to replace the cloudy uncertainty that seems to be overwhelming him.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    I woke up this morning feeling badly for how upset I was with Cam last night. My wife (UNC Grad) actually left the room in the second half because I was yelling so loudly at him. So, Cam, if you're reading this, I apologize.

Reality is, he's 18-19 years old. Just 5 years older than my daughter. He's still a kid.

Different people react to pressure in different ways. Zion moves instinctively to get a rebound and score the basket on a second effort. It appears he doesn't have to think about it. Cam seems to struggle with everything because he's thinking too much...or too little. I can't tell.

Cam is a prime example of a kid who should stay in school for more than 1 year. He could really help himself in the long term by having the game slow down in college.

Having said all that, I felt the offense AND defense played much better with him on the bench and Vrank in the game. In no way do I feel Vrank is a long term solution. He looks slow on the court, and struggles to rebound if the ball is not right around him. But he took up space, made some nice passes, and played within himself. Hopefully he can do the same today against FSU.

Anyway, heartfelt apologies to Cam. I hope you play much better today, buddy!!!
    I think we're all too hard on Cam. He is a very good basketball player but not an assertive player. He recedes into the background with both RJ and Zion on the court. RJ runs the offense, and Zion is the best player -- by far -- in college basketball. The last six games with Zion (including the first UNC game), Cam averaged 16.2 PPG.

But we need him now to be more effective and assertive.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

From reading all 18 pages of this thread, I would’ve thought Duke lost last night. I mean my goodness. We beat a VERY good UNC team last night. I would’ve thought we would’ve been a bit more celebratory but aye, maybe I’m just the outlier.

Cam has and will have some very big moments over the remainder of the season. Count on it! RJ is a killer. I question the effort of people that question his effort. He plays basically 40 minutes/game and hasn’t missed a game all season. Zion is a living, breathing cheat code. And the rest of the team will continue to play hard until there’s no minutes left to play. I look forward to tonight’s game. Let’s Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think we're all too hard on Cam. He is a very good basketball player but not an assertive player. He recedes into the background with both RJ and Zion on the court. RJ runs the offense, and Zion is the best player -- by far -- in college basketball. The last six games with Zion (including the first UNC game), Cam averaged 16.2 PPG.

But we need him now to be more effective and assertive.
    I agree a lot of people on this board are too hard on Cam. But with a 26+% usage rate, I think he’s plenty assertive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree a lot of people on this board are too hard on Cam. But with a 26+% usage rate, I think he’s plenty assertive.
    Yeah, a lack of assertiveness is not the problem. Knowing the right way to display his assertiveness appears to be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I would say the recruiting experts were/are too easy on Cam. I would not come close to him (or Tre) at this point as an NBA GM. I know everyone says they're OAD and maybe they are. They would do well to come back IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I would say the recruiting experts were/are too easy on Cam. I would not come close to him (or Tre) at this point as an NBA GM. I know everyone says they're OAD and maybe they are. They would do well to come back IMO.
    I can see how Reddish torched high school kids. He has the size/length, athleticism, and enough skill to play over smaller, inferior players. Especially when help defense is also smaller, less organized, and often non-existent. But he really struggled the week of the Hoops Summit. He doesn’t appear to have caught up to the speed and quality of ACC defense. Hopefully he finds his sea legs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I can see how Reddish torched high school kids. He has the size/length, athleticism, and enough skill to play over smaller, inferior players. Especially when help defense is also smaller, less organized, and often non-existent. But he really struggled the week of the Hoops Summit. He doesn’t appear to have caught up to the speed and quality of ACC defense. Hopefully he finds his sea legs soon.
    I concur with your analysis....and would only add (again) that he could perhaps find those sea legs with another year at Duke rather than the empty dismal gyms of the G League or what have you.

My neighbor, a huge UNC fan, has everything set up in her yard for a celebration party today...lots of outdoor tables with UNC tablecloths, logos, banners, etc. Several catering trucks, string lights from all the trees...so it is a big deal.. I am so sorry for them (not sorry...).
    I need a photo of this.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    We need 2 chat rooms: one for negative Nancies, and one for positive Petes.

I just can take the negativity, pessimism, player bashing, whining, nastiness and darkness in the chat room. I've tried. I'm out...
    Chat Rooms remind me of people touring a National Park behind a camera viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I need a photo of this.
    Considering it...trying to be subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I concur with your analysis...and would only add (again) that he could perhaps find those sea legs with another year at Duke rather than the empty dismal gyms of the G League or what have you.
    It's a difficult decision for a kid like Cam who seems to have a lot of potential, but still struggles at times with the speed of the game. Do you enter the draft, get your first contract under your belt and basically major in basketball studies, thereby maximizing the time you're able to spend to improve the holes in your game? Or do you return for another year to a top college program where you are likely to be one of the featured players, work to refine your game under the GOAT and potentially enhance your name recognition under Duke's constant television spotlight, which could result in your being a high lottery pick in the next draft? Either strategy could reap big benefits, and either could backfire catastrophically.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during K's conversations with Cam and Tre... Would he advise them to head to the draft, or would he tell them it might be best to spend another season at Duke?

To heck with subtlety... Walk right out there and tell them "I'd love a photo of this, so go ahead and give me a big smile!" and just snap a few bursts. But you absolutely must post them up here...

Sorry, but Cam's already a high lottery pick and another year won't improve his stock to any significant degree.

Like Steve Miller says, "Go On Take The Money and Run."

You must! Get a pic before they cancel the party and put everything away.