Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    LOL. Not on call tonight. Plus, I just finished a 12% ABV imperial stout.
    Which one? I've got a 15% that I'm pondering but might save until tomorrow (from Aslin near DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I think Javin could be a beast next year. Works hard. Still maturing physically. Hope the switch flips a bit for him over the summer.
    Hope so! Sometimes the switch really flips on for that senior season. But for now he just needs to do his thing, hit the boards, and stay outta foul trouble!

ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 72.7 (the game started off fast, then slowed down considerably; this is almost exactly Duke's adjusted season pace, but a bit slower than UNC likes to play)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.02 (crazy as it sounds, this was by far our best offensive performance against UNC in three games this season; adjusted it's 1.16, which actually isn't so bad in general)
    eFG%: 51.5% (not so good but not awful)
    3pt%: 25.0% (obviously bad, but for this year's Duke team, just a bit below average)
    2pt%: 57.8% (good)
    %threes: 30.8% (by far our fewest percentage of threes against UNC this season; when you shoot 25%, this is a very good number here)
    FT rate: 20.0% (somewhat weak)
    OR%: 26.3% (very weak)
    TO%: 16.5% (room to improve, but this is acceptable)
    a/to: 1.25:1
    %assisted: 48.4%
    fast break pts: 11 (14.9% of our points)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.00 (adjusted that's 0.85, this was really good for the 3rd time against UNC, especially considering they put up an unadjusted 1.33 in the first 8 minutes)
    eFG%: 42.5% (really good)
    3pt%: 14.8% (2nd fabulous number in three UNC games)
    2pt%: 54.3% (weak)
    %threes: 37.0% (fine when they're shooting 15%, especially since so many of their threes were poorly conceived shots)
    FT rate: 20.5% (good)
    DR%: 64.4% (not good)
    TO%: 11.0% (very weak; my biggest disappointment of our defense tonight)
    a/to: 1.65:1
    %assisted: 44.8%
    fast break pts: 20 (27.4% of their points; actually this is probably my biggest disappointment - I don't have the other numbers in front of me but this was one of our worst fast break defense performances of the season, if not the worst)
    block%: 8.2%; 13.0% of 2-point shots (even without Marques, this team can block shots)
    steal%: 8.3% (feh)

Nothing perfect on either side, but overall a strong performance on D and a much better performance on O than last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    An ACC Championship banner would be nice. It's been a while.
    Agreed. As an '02 alum, I can affirm that two years is entirely too long to wait.

While the normal narrative, including by Jay, is that the Cheats get more bench minutes, tonight we had 47 and they had 30. Unfortunately, RJ and Tre played 40 and Zion played 35. In contrast FSU had 62 bench minutes. While I think the extra long tv timeouts can suck the life out of tournament arenas, I will be thankful for them versus the Noles.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    My observations:
    An ACC Championship banner would be nice. It's been a while.
    Well 2 years...but that's still way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    While the normal narrative, including by Jay, is that the Cheats get more bench minutes, tonight we had 47 and they had 30. Unfortunately, RJ and Tre played 40 and Zion played 35. In contrast FSU had 62 bench minutes. While I think the extra long tv timeouts can suck the life out of tournament arenas, I will be thankful for them versus the Noles.
    Yep, that was probably the most surprising stat of all to me. Probably could have won a lot of money betting Duke would play a deeper rotation than the cheats in an ACC semifinal.

Crazy stat of the night. Six games have been decided by one point between Duke vs UNC. Duke has won all six games

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He has plenty of desire. He also hit some big shots- that pull up three being one. RJ is not a perfect player but he is really good and I never question his desire to win. If you want to call out anyone it is Cam for all the unforced TO’s. He has played well against UNC but not tonight. I am sure UNC fans also get frustrated by Little- who can follow a good play with a bad one. Great win- but tomorrow is a gut check. Duke will need a few unexpected folks to step up like tonight. I think Baker is getting in tomorrow - I think this is the game.
    I see where you’re coming from, but unforced turnovers, albeit frustrating, are a product of being “raw” which Cam absolutely is. For RJ, however, his lackadaisical effort on defense has become more and more apparent throughout the season, which is frustrating because that is 100% controllable. Sure, he has a “desire to win” but who doesn’t? We know he wants to win, we just wish he’d make it more apparent. There are 4-5 standout plays from every game where he blatantly gives up on the defensive play.

This game was a massive blow to the Cheats. Had they won, the asterisk besides their previous two wins against Duke would have been removed, however with the loss those asterisks become even more pronounced.

Congrats Duke. I caught a few minutes of the second half before I remembered I was boycotting those *@#% *@#%@ing cheaters from Chapel Hill. I hate them all the more because it sounds like I didn't get to watch a fantastic game in which they had their hearts ripped out, but also because it seems like there are so many pansy blue cheater fans that don't give a flip that they cheat to win. I hates them so much.

9f
    9f
    9f
    9f
    9f

Thank you Duke, for at least one night helping push back the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    What a classic. Probably not popular here to say but UNC is the real deal and could win this whole
    thing.
    That was a great game tonight - so jealous of any of you who were there.

K won the game with the Goldwire on Johnson move - it is all about the D this year. Vranks contribution was unreal vs what you could expect under the circumstances - Wow. Seniors!!

Our season depends on Cam - which has me nervous. I think k too late to ask too much from him. Shoot stand up 3 and play good D - as long as you don’t turn it over I am happy.

I do think today’s win discounts all the losss without Zion and locks up a 1. Win tomorrow and lock up the East.

My favorite season ever - come what may. What a ride and what a game tonight - a special night!
    I completely agree... there might be a round 4(christian's pregame interview might have been foreshadowing ).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I don't think Zion, R.J. or Tre should play tomorrow, to be honest. More important things to do.
    More important things than competing for an ACC Title? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Putting these players in bubble wrap is not the answer. ACC Championship aside, Duke will get better by competing at the highest level. FSU is a Final Four caliber team and a great test. I don’t expect anything less than our best effort with all our best players on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    There is a decent chance these teams will meet again. I’m not pumped for that at all.
    I think I like what you’re doing here but tell us about it after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I just cannot get over how poorly Cam Reddish has played, Goldwire should start over him for the simple reason that Goldwire can play defense without being a complete liability on offense. Reddish should right now be a spot up shooter on offense and that's it, his drives are 33% of the time an offensive foul, 33% of the time he loses the ball, and he maybe hits 50% of the time he actually gets a shot off, which means he succeeds 1 out of 6 times.
    Love what Goldwire brings and his toughness will be invaluable today but Duke won’t win today without Cam. I am glad Coach K has more confidence Cam than many of us. Maybe time to start a “Should Jordan start over Cam?” Thread ... seemed to work before the last FSU game.

After watching the game I’m not really sure why the ball doesn’t go inside to Williamson or another post player, every time on offense. We had a 6 point lead and then turned the ball over on three straight possessions. I’d rather take my chances getting the ball inside and kicking it out to open shooters, rather then Cam or Rj take wild threes or initiate the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Who says we don’t have a bench? Wow!
    Just imagine if we could get anything from AOC or Jack White on a consistent basis.

I was wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We will need to shoot better on 3 PT FG to win tonight:

1st Game: 8-39 (20.5%)
    2nd Game: 8-32 (25%)
    We shot 5-20 (25%) and won. We also shot under 50% overall. Carolina out rebounded us and committed less turnovers but shot worse than we did. In the final analysis, the only stat that matters is the score.
    Bob Green

Unless a third player can become more consistent from the field it's still going to swing too much on free throws, too. Cam is right there, Tre makes some crucial baskets but defenders are still cheating going two on RJ and three on Zion in the paint. ACC teams have seen them up close, the 63 (yes, ok the Dayton teams, too) other teams will try the same but most can't keep that up.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Which one? I've got a 15% that I'm pondering but might save until tomorrow (from Aslin near DC)
    This one:

87ccdae6c1a8f58982c1c0da52f65620_640x640.jpg

If you check the Ymm, Beer thread later this AM, I'll have a review posted. Then you "can" let us know about your 15% brew.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.