Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

PJ Washington out for first round tonight with sprained foot

As is being reported by SI.com and others, directly from a Calipari tweet.

This certainly indicates things are more serious than the "precautionary reasons" for the boot as was initially reported. Kentucky already is entering the tourney on a bit of a downer following the loss to Tennessee... could this make them more upset prone (if not tonight, in the second round in a potential matchup with Wofford)?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As is being reported by SI.com and others, directly from a Calipari tweet.

This certainly indicates things are more serious than the "precautionary reasons" for the boot as was initially reported. Kentucky already is entering the tourney on a bit of a downer following the loss to Tennessee... could this make them more upset prone (if not tonight, in the second round in a potential matchup with Wofford)?
    He's no longer in a boot, he's in a hard cast.

Calipari said in a tweet that Washington doesn't have a fracture in his foot, but a sprain that will keep him out of action and his foot has been placed in a hard cast.
    I have them going to the final four. PJ has been THE MAN for them the past couple of weeks, This is major for them. Even without him, I don't see anyone stopping them from getting to next weekend. Will he be ready by then?

Without him in the Sweet 16 it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State or Houston could take them. Definitely uNC or Auburn could knock them out, if he's not playing.

This is tough. A real bracket-busting conundrum.

A hard cast as a precaution?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

I have them going to the final four. PJ has been THE MAN for them the past couple of weeks, This is major for them. Even without him, I don't see anyone stopping them from getting to next weekend. Will he be ready by then?

Without him in the Sweet 16 it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State or Houston could take them. Definitely uNC or Auburn could knock them out, if he's not playing.

I have them in the championship game! 40 minutes to make a decision...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I have them in the championship game! 40 minutes to make a decision...
    ARRRGH! This is difficult.

The hard cast is so much more permanent. It sends a message. It really would change everything for Ky.

Plus I have so many free brackets in so many places, do I change them all. Or do I just have faith that he will either be back or Ky figures it out?

Just as I was beginning to soften a bit on cal, his interviews on selection Sunday amused me, he goes and reminds me why I hate the pric! k It is one thing to keep the injury quiet to preserve the team's seeding, in my mind he almost has an obligation to. But here he has expressly mislead the media and thereby his upcoming opponent. He is obliged to disclose the hard cast, is he not? Anyone doubt that the "soft cast" was done intentionally to minimize the injury to the press? Is a hard cast ever put on for just a day or two? That is misrepresentation!

ARRRGH! This is difficult.

The hard cast is so much more permanent. It sends a message. It really would change everything for Ky.

Plus I have so many free brackets in so many places, do I change them all. Or do I just have faith that he will either be back or Ky figures it out?
    My biggest problem is that unless I seriously re-tool my bracket the easy change puts UVA in the title game, and I just don't believe in that happening (apologies to all our recent UVA guests).

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Hmm, I hadn't seen that... do you have a link for that? Not questioning, just curious.

Everything I'm seeing seems to say that even the mildest "foot sprain" is a multi-week recovery (much like with knee sprains, which we're now all well acquainted with). It seems doubtful to me now that he'd play at all this weekend, right? Liking my Wofford pick even more now...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

My biggest problem is that unless I seriously re-tool my bracket the easy change puts UVA in the title game, and I just don't believe in that happening (apologies to all our recent UVA guests).
    A butterfly flaps its wings in china and a hurricane hits the southeast US.

I have uNC losing to Auburn. Why do I get the feeling everything changes for them if Ky loses before the elite 8, and uNC somehow gets by Auburn.

It's like fate is working to bring us the Armageddon game.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that... do you have a link for that? Not questioning, just curious.

Everything I'm seeing seems to say that even the mildest "foot sprain" is a multi-week recovery (much like with knee sprains, which we're now all well acquainted with). It seems doubtful to me now that he'd play at all this weekend, right? Liking my Wofford pick even more now...
    It's in the SI story that was linked in the original post. It was also in the Calipari tweet that the story showed. Pretty hard to miss, unless the story was updated after the initial posting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...-injury-update

They should still be able to get by the Abilene Brothers of the Poor in Ripped Pants, right?

I didn't have Wofford making it past Seton Hall. I think UK can make it out of the first weekend without PJ, but after that? Who knows...

It's in the SI story that was linked in the original post. It was also in the Calipari tweet that the story showed. Pretty hard to miss, unless the story was updated after the initial posting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...-injury-update
    Yup my bad, missed it was in the tweet!

Yup my bad, missed it was in the tweet!
    It's in the body of the story as well. The story is what I quoted.

A butterfly flaps its wings in china and a hurricane hits the southeast US.

I have uNC losing to Auburn. Why do I get the feeling everything changes for them if Ky loses before the elite 8, and uNC somehow gets by Auburn.

It's like fate is working to bring us the Armageddon game.
    I now have Auburn in the championship game. I was tempted to go with Cincy. This is a nightmare. I wish Michigan and UVA's brackets could switch sides. I'd feel much better about Duke-Auburn in the Final Four and Duke-Michigan in the final than the other way around.

Brace yourself now for unc to make it to the title game facing nothing better than a 5 seed...

Yikes, he's their best and most important player. I had UK beating UNC and reaching the championship . . now I think Duke/UNC is more likely. That's what I'm going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy1998 View Post
    Brace yourself now for unc to make it to the title game facing nothing better than a 5 seed...
    Exactly. That's my Butterfly reference. It seems like fate wants to bring us THE GAME this year.

I now have Auburn in the championship game. I was tempted to go with Cincy. This is a nightmare. I wish Michigan and UVA's brackets could switch sides. I'd feel much better about Duke-Auburn in the Final Four and Duke-Michigan in the final than the other way around.
    As much as I hate to say it, this is a huge break for Carolina. Have to hope Washington will be back by next weekend.

Has there ever been a luckier team than Carolina this year, with regards to opponents’ injuries to their star players?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, this is a huge break for Carolina. Have to hope Washington will be back by next weekend.

Has there ever been a luckier team than Carolina this year, with regards to opponents’ injuries to their star players?
    Wait. I was told it was simply Roy's superior coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Wait. I was told it was simply Roy's superior coaching.
    The Tonya Harding approach to coaching?