Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would You Trade An NCAA Championship for One Year of Zion?

Yeah, I know we all want BOTH!

But as I watched his return in the Syracuse game last night, I admitted to myself that, IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE - another natty without Zion, or one year of watching him in Duke blue - I'd rather have the year of Zion. We may never see anything like this/him again, folks - treasure every second of it.

If we win it all, of course, this will go down as one of THE most memorable years ever in NCAA basketball. Can you imagine what the ratings will be for Zion in the title game? Highest-rated NCAA game of all time? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I love Zion but give me the national championship. It's not even close. Final fours and national championships are what it's about. The rest is conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I love Zion but give me the national championship. It's not even close. Final fours and national championships are what it's about. The rest is conversation.
    Same. Zion is fabulous and the most important member of this year's team. But I want a natty. There will never be another Zion at Duke, but there will be plenty of other really good players.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Natty but I did have to think a bit. Now, 4 years of Zion might change my mind...

If Duke can't bring home the title, I'm really happy with having this whole freshman group here at Duke. I'll take what we get with the present group of young men. Trading Zion just doesn't compute. He's our guy. I don't want to think about him playing anywhere else.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

We have 5 titles and would likely have more. We've only had 1 year of Zion / Zion-like player and wouldn't have another in the next generation. Give me Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    If Duke can't bring home the title, I'm really happy with having this whole freshman group here at Duke. I'll take what we get with the present group of young men. Trading Zion just doesn't compute. He's our guy. I don't want to think about him playing anywhere else.
    Did you get a new phone???

Great, readable post!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Did you get a new phone???

Great, readable post!
    I may be inscrutable at times, but you may have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not the one who has periods at strange places in a sentence, at any rate.

Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I may be inscrutable at times, but you may have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not the one who has periods in strange places in a sentence, at any rate.

Forgive me. I don't often look at the names and the similar color scheme in your avatar threw me off!

I have way more National Championships than most ever dream of. Watching Zion gives me joy.

National Championship, we've heard how close these guys are with each other and I wish for them to win their last game together.

Seems like some of you don't understand my premise:

If you can ONLY HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS - a year of Zion playing for Duke, OR a national championship WITHOUT ZION EVER PLAYING FOR DUKE - which would you choose? Hopefully, that was clear enough.

As I said before, I'm taking one year of Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

If you can ONLY HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS - a year of Zion playing for Duke, OR a national championship WITHOUT ZION EVER PLAYING FOR DUKE - which would you choose? Hopefully, that was clear enough.

National Championship.

Is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    No. Of course, having both things is (still) possible.

But if you could ONLY have one or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Maybe whoever answers with the wrong answer gets banned, or at least flamed? I'm not falling for it, plus I already know the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

Reject the premise. I will give up the Natty this year for another full year of Zion next year.

How good is Zion? NCSU fans are seriously debating whether Zion is better as a frosh than David Thompson. I saw them both as frosh. Thompson left me completely stunned but Zion is still way better. God, how I wish we could have him longer.
    https://247sports.com/college/north-...een-130250608/

Zion is a major reason I love watching this team. He's the block of pure joy that basketball has been missing. Winning another championship would be great, but watching Zion is incomparable. I'll take Zion with a smile.

I'll take the Natty, always every time. Natty #6 and Zion going 1 helps future recruiting. Holding players back who should leave hurts future recruiting. Case in point - Ol Roy. If we're good enough to win it all, our other players probably also move up this draft board which helps future recruiting.

The right move for the consensus #1 pick is to go pro in June and sign those endorsement deals. Zion has been fantastic for Duke and Duke has been fantastic for him.